Why these KC Rap Artist Failed?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 8, 2009
WHEN I FIRST WENT 2 KC I FELT I STUMBLED ACROSS A MILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY..THEN I REALIZED THE LEVEL OF INNER-CITY COMPETITION WHICH IN TURN COULD BE HATRED...I FUCC WITH A LOT OF CATS THERE & MUST SAY KC HAS SOME OF THE REALEST NIGGAS IN THE COUNTRY.....BUT JUST LIKE I TELL MY FOLKS IN FRESNO...IF YOU WANT 2 BE BIGGER THAN YOU ARE YOU HAVE 2 LEAVE THE NEST....THE POWER PLAYERS IN KC SHOULD GET TOGETHER & PUSH A MOVEMENT...OUTSIDE OF MISSOURI...THE TALENT & REALNESS IS THERE BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT NOTORIOUS AT ALL OUTSIDE OF THAT REGION...I'M RE-ESTABLISHING THE CALI-KC CONNECTION AS WE SPEAK...LOOK OUT 4 THE KILLA TAY/SKEIM HEEM ALBUM COMING SOON...& I PLAN ON DOING AN ALBUM WITH RICH WHEN I GET BACC OUT THERE IN THE MIX....I SUPPORT KC 2 THE FULLEST CUZ THEY SUPPORT ME....NETWORKING OUT OF STATE IS THE BEST THING I CAN SUGGEST CUZ THE MUSIC IS ON THE SAME LEVEL AS MANY REGIONS....KEEP IT MOBBY
obviously you a real nigga man. real recognize real. I agree wit u fully tho we gotta collab on shit and do bigger shit outside of here. rich seem like the only one doin that shit. he be in cali and atl and has been for a minute now. yeah nigga i seen that new mixtape bout to drop soon. for real thats what needs to happen for all us cali and kc niggas to be eatin. shit was bout to pop off big for all us until the mac dre fat tone shit went down and since then aint nobody been as big. get the cali-kc connect back cuz thats the only way to take a shot at them atl niggas and errybody else in the mainstream. our connect offers somethin new for real and the mainstream ready for that shit. hopefully they gettin sick of jockin wayne all the fuckin time. kc definitely got anybodys back who got us. you gotta ride on niggas, we gunna be there ridin in front of you, fuck the bullshit.

Feb 12, 2006
im pretty sure tech makes his money off of retail sales and his shows...i thought i heard somewhere he did like 11 million last year...obviously not all his, but he's eating.

Jun 26, 2003
Seemed to me like some of the guys mentioned had a strong start but lost the will along the way, or didn't want to be bigtime superstars or had other things pop up, family, legal, things of that nature. Also noticed that a lot of those guys are in their mid-30's as well.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
I just want to start hopefully an intelligent dialog of why some of our artist from the town have never been able to achieve nationwide success? Of coarse this is not to down anybody but just to examine "why" because we had soooo many people with potential but they fell thru the cracks. And let me clarify...when I say "fail" i dont mean it literally but just using that term for a lack of better words...

Tech N9ne (clearly the most prominent artist but still waiting on major exposure and major record sales)

Rich The Factor (loved in KC,The Bay,Arkansas,Oklahoma and maybe several other lil towns but just could never get past that hood mentallity and being a KC star IMO)

Pure Dope (dont really know enuff to comment)

Block Life (seem to clearly have the financing and decent music...??? Maybe a matter of time?

Mon E G ( probably one of the youngest OG's in the KC rap scene. Good music, street cred, consistancy. Just never caught on. Hopefully soon.

Court Dog (Signed to No Limit in mid 90's, put out a couple solos and group albums with a so so reception. Maybe too much Bone influence? Did a movie too....we will see.

MidwestSide (Joker,Macc James...I thought these niggaz was tight...they beats and swagg was good to me. What happened?

S2theB (Nice beats with more of a local appeal but still put out solid quality albums....people just aint fuck with it. Dont know why?

The Popper( Lyrical,radio support,solid production,club play,...what went wrong?

Lejo ( Very Very talented lyrically and put some decent shit out. What happened?

Ghetto Kaos ( These niggaz was super tight to me, and I know one of them did a bid, but they was gaining momentum in the early 90's with Jackpot and just lost it.

57th St. RDV's ( Had help from Tech, solid rappers with great production and good club bangers but never was able to capitalize.

I know its a lot more but this is off the top of my head. Feel free to express opinions on those I mention and those I missed.
How about because they are from KC and no one listens to shit from KC other then rap junkies, collectors and people from KC???

Not to mention the shit is either awful or generic... Tech 9ne is OK but Court Dog? Court Dog has to take the cake for the worst production ever with the "Thugz Diary" cd.

Not to mention 44 clique Mafia, the worst cd ever that someone would actually pay $700.00 for, or is 44 Tusla? yea, no big difference.

May 30, 2006
tech n9ne far from failed..
Thank You! That dude is in the top 50 as far as artist that sell the most concert tickets.....Kanye and Jay-Z are the only other two rappers and Tech is better then both of them.......lol.....Tech is an underground artist with mainstream love and respect.......He also keeps it underground for his true fans and lives out here in LA and he's faaaaarrrrr from broke.....Best believe he's papered up......Far from a failure.

Props: Teddy X
Feb 2, 2009
I'm listenin' to Tech on FTI2 and as I was about to post he said,
"the idustries lame, scared of these colors, scared of thee brain, THIS FUCKIN' INDUSTRY IS SCARED OF ME MAINE!!!"

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
people here don't seem to understand the difference between underground success and mainstream success. 2 different worlds

Not really.

How is the underground different from the mainstream these days?

IMO, if you got your cds on the shelves of Best Buy or Sam Goodie you're mainstream.

If your selling shit out of your trunk, on street corners and in the local mom and pop cd stores your underground.

A fantastic example of underground would be "Soldierz At War (SAW)" here in Chicago. You can find those mutherfuckers pushing their own CD's on street corners... They got love here in Chicago on a underground basis but they are hardly a psychodrama..

My point is some "former" underground artists are so successful that they arent really underground.