Why The Kansas City Music Scene Hasn't Blown Yet

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
I can actually follow you when you point the finger at KPRS. I haven't listened to the station in months, and before that day months ago, it was months before that when my dial was positioned on 103.3. It's the same shit over and over on there, you listen for two hours and you'll hear the same 50 Cent song four times. So yea, maybe if they only played that 50 song three times during that time span and instead threw a D-Locc Da Chop song on during the slot where that fourth spin normally goes, maybe the music scene here would be healthier.

Oct 2, 2006
Here is B Shynin's from KPRS response that he left on the video I posted on facebook.

"Me and Kenny try our best to support local music. We have a lot of good stuff come through... but then we also have a lot of garbage too... I am talking about the whackest shit ever. And then they got the nerve to say..."Hot 103 don't support local music cause they didn't play my stuff..." Well nigga, if the shit didn't sound like you recorded it in your bathroom with a tape deck, then we would consider it.

Listen all local artist looking at this... STOP TRYING TO GET DAY TIME RADIO PLAY! 9 times out of 10 it aint gonna happen. I would go into demographics and all that but I would be talking to myself, but basically the majority of the people listening during the daytime don't want to hear that shit. In order for us to consider you for daytime play, is your shit has to be better or just as good as Beyonce, Jay-Z, T.I., Lil Wayne all them people. Because you are competing with them for air time. First focus on getting on getting the streets, cause when you have the streets...

(People banging and requesting your shit) then us the radio station or the club DJ's can't help but play your music because that is what the people want then. Streets first then radio. I have been trying to tell ya'll this but it seems as if I am talking to myself."

Jul 7, 2002
Unless rappers are actually marketing their music and have it for sale somewhere other than 7th Heaven than they shouldn't be complaining about shit.

Jul 7, 2002
Here is B Shynin's from KPRS response that he left on the video I posted on facebook.

"Me and Kenny try our best to support local music. We have a lot of good stuff come through... but then we also have a lot of garbage too... I am talking about the whackest shit ever. And then they got the nerve to say..."Hot 103 don't support local music cause they didn't play my stuff..." Well nigga, if the shit didn't sound like you recorded it in your bathroom with a tape deck, then we would consider it.

Listen all local artist looking at this... STOP TRYING TO GET DAY TIME RADIO PLAY! 9 times out of 10 it aint gonna happen. I would go into demographics and all that but I would be talking to myself, but basically the majority of the people listening during the daytime don't want to hear that shit. In order for us to consider you for daytime play, is your shit has to be better or just as good as Beyonce, Jay-Z, T.I., Lil Wayne all them people. Because you are competing with them for air time. First focus on getting on getting the streets, cause when you have the streets...

(People banging and requesting your shit) then us the radio station or the club DJ's can't help but play your music because that is what the people want then. Streets first then radio. I have been trying to tell ya'll this but it seems as if I am talking to myself."

Aug 26, 2002
the reason KC aint blown up from an outside look in..........yall music u make majority out dated. Bay Area don't sell past KC, and majority of yall out there make Bay Area sounding stuff. U r in the Midwest, start making Midwest music

Nov 13, 2004
I think its a combination of what a lot of yall have said Radio Station etc. But KC is a unique place when it comes to hate. KC people dont support they artist as they should. Everybody wants to be a critic on why Mon e g sounds too south, Tech is too white washed, Rich is too local, yada yada, and the list goes on. Plus the majority of consumers think they are rappers or producers so it becomes one big competition for the local spot light. We need to support all our "decent" artist when they drop. The radio station doesnt play there shit because the public isnt showing enuff interest. In Atl,Houston,Dallas,LA, and many other cities they play all there local artist but the hometeam put them in that position. Just my 2cents.

Apr 25, 2002
I agree that most rap cats out the town do sound bay-ish.. I agree the radio doesn't really support the local.. But I also see there point as far some of the music sounding like shit as far quality.. I think our problem is lack of promotion, lack of music quality and lack of creative songs.. We gotta alot of talent here but it seems like every artist has maybe one of those qualities but lack the other two..

Now let me ask ya'll this, when we say "Blow Up" do we mean Indie Artist(s) making big moves, selling a good amount of cd's in other regions not just here in KC but lacks a Major Artist budget and promotion... (i.e.: Tech N9ne) or do we mean Major Artist(s) making big moves, nationwide distribution, T.V. and radio rotation..etc (i.e.: Nelly)?

And as far as the Mid-West goes we don't have a sound in my opinion...

I remember when I was younger I was exposed to music from all regions (East, West, And South). I feel we can make any type of music but we are just stuck in that bay area, south music era here because thats what we grew up on and adapted to..