Why The Kansas City Music Scene Hasn't Blown Yet

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 20, 2006
Why the KC music scene hasn't blown up yet????????

Becuz this is the Capitol of Old Azz Rappers!!!!! The first thing out of O.G. Riff's mouth, "I've been rapping since '89"......... lol..... Maybe it's the old ass rappers that paved the way for the new artists, to just "keep up the hate"..........? I don't know, but if you have been rappin for 20 years and you are still "local", IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, CAPTAIN!!!!!!!

Jul 16, 2008
Why the KC music scene hasn't blown up yet????????

Becuz this is the Capitol of Old Azz Rappers!!!!! The first thing out of O.G. Riff's mouth, "I've been rapping since '89"......... lol..... Maybe it's the old ass rappers that paved the way for the new artists, to just "keep up the hate"..........? I don't know, but if you have been rappin for 20 years and you are still "local", IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, CAPTAIN!!!!!!!
NOT TRUE CHEEZ KANSAS CITY IS LIKE young kev said Everybody is on Rich The Factor's jock ya dig every body wanna sound like rich or FAT TONE instead of being original like Tech n9ne they only spit shit niggaz hear all the time, and the majors dont think its profitable.

May 20, 2006
NOT TRUE CHEEZ KANSAS CITY IS LIKE young kev said Everybody is on Rich The Factor's jock ya dig every body wanna sound like rich or FAT TONE instead of being original like Tech n9ne they only spit shit niggaz hear all the time, and the majors dont think its profitable.

It may not be true. But let's look at the KC artists that you named. Rich the Factor..... 37 years old. Tech N9ne....... will be 38 years old this year. I'll speak on someone I consider a brother. My homie Hobo Tone. I've been knowing Tone since I was in 7th grade (1984) Hobo was a sophomore in High School (Wyandotte). He was making beats in his basement back then, with Joc Max as his DJ and Vell Bakardy as his young protege. You feel where i'm going with this????? Niggaz around the town that we all know have been in this game since the 80's. Look at Tech N9ne, he's had record deals through LaFace Records, Quincy Jones, but he's just now getting his shine on with Strange. Rich dropped his first tape in 1994 "Gettin a Grip". It's hard for a young nigga to get sum shine becuz the top is crowded with all the OG's.............

May 25, 2005
I say its a little of that and also the ability to even be able to push music out there as a new artist. there are so many roadblocks and dead ends and running in circles out in KC...

when i was out there, we tried helllaaaa hard to get shit out and get on shows and throw shows and all that, but it was damn near next to impossible! every time there was something going on, there was a $100-$1,500 price tag attached to it. wanna do a show? cash out. showcase? cash out. and every time we got hit with some silly shit like that, couldnt afford it so there goes the opportunity to expose music to potential fans. and im sure folks are gonna say "thats how the game goes,why not get your money up?". most of us new artists got 9-5's and regular folks bills, so the paycheck goes to the life stuff. if the gatekeepers would allow the new artists the ability to make music revenue from shows (cuz cd's aint sellin too tuff and we all know shows have a greater monetary benefit), then we would be able to pay for "radio advertising" n all that shit lol!

its crazy as shit cuz i left KC and moved back to cali (vallejo nigga by birth) and was able to get paid shows within a month. and im a "new" artist/nobody (for now). first show, made like $50. second show had a little more people in there cuz of the buzz from the last show, made $150. see where im going?

my advice to all the new KC artists that are hella frustrated with going in circles and been trying to break in and create a scene is to stop tossing your money to those dumb ass pay for play shows, wanna be a&r contests, and all those other rip off ass things that come thru there. i never fucked with them cuz i seen them for what they were and i tried as hard as i could to sway folks from fuckin with those. set up your own shows! go to the managers and owners of the venues that are known for allowing acts to perform (the hole in the wall ones, they may let you split the door after a show or two, or off top)and set your own shit up. get some other acts that you like and DONT CHARGE THEM. we did a few shows in warrensburg and we never charged the other rap niggas that we had come out, thats fucking stupid. u tryna get on just like me cuddie...

wish i coulda did more while i was out there, but i grinded from when i was 19 till i was 26 out there, gets kinda old dealing with the BS lol! and KC is so fucking dope, waaayy too much talent. still open for collabs...hit me!

Silas
www.dirtmerchants.com
www.myspace.com/dirtmerchants
www.myspace.com/blackiceclickk

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
Becuz this is the Capitol of Old Azz Rappers!!!!!
This is the same arguement you throw around every time a topic comes up on here about Kansas City not blowing up. Stop blaming all the people that's making moves for the lack of moves by others. These young cats you want to blow up so much, tell them to make some music people actually want to fuck with. Tell them to get out there and make some moves and grab the attention of some labels. If they can't stand out because all these old ass rappers are holding them back, then what chance do they have of actually standing out in the industry as a whole?

Nov 30, 2003
www.kcghostt.com
Stop blaming all the people that's making moves for the lack of moves by others. These young cats you want to blow up so much, tell them to make some music people actually want to fuck with. Tell them to get out there and make some moves and grab the attention of some labels.
I agree with you on that. The older artists know what it means to work and promote and do whatever the fuck they have to do, including doing features on other artists albums for free, to get their name and music beyond their own neighborhood. I've ran into so many people selling their CDs outside of places like 7th Heaven, liquor stores, car washes, even outside of a damn Perkin's restaurant a time or two. I used to actually buy their albums just to try and support local shit and help 'em out. Every time I would get to the car and put it in, at least a couple of tracks would catch my attention. The recording quality wasn't always top notch, but at least the beats were usually on point and you could see potential. Now I can't even let myself give anyone 5 bucks for their watered down trying to be radio single bullshit. Honestly, in my opinion, even the bigger local names aren't coming with much impressive shit anymore.

I've talked to plenty of people in KC and all over the place trying to make beats and plenty of people trying to rap but they haven't got anyone for beats, and nobody wants to work together to try and accomplish anything without getting paid first. I was actually offering to put up $1500 to have someones album pressed not too long ago, and myself and 2 other people were offering to put up the beats for free and give them studio time, because I really thought they had something that I don't see too often anymore. But, they said they'll have to think about it, and guess what.. they're still just fuckin' with MySpace and trying to sell 5 track CD-R's of $10 Wal-Mart computer mic recorded shit. I'm almost done trying to support and defend local music. I'd really like to see 3rd Degree, Tut-C, Kutt Calhoun, Big Scoob and a few other locals make it big.

Damn, I had about 6 big paragraphs typed and deleted most of it. I could ramble all day about why local music and most music in general is garbage now days, but everyone has heard it all before.

May 2, 2002
OG Riff...WOW

Last time I heard this dude's name mentioned anywhere was on Hobo Tone's Hobolavirus album (2002).

I remember him havin' a cd entitled BLACKHEART, but not much else.

Nov 30, 2003
www.kcghostt.com
Yeah, O.G. Riff Presents Blackheart has a few hard tracks on it. I just got it out and put it in earlier after peeping that video. I also remember an O.G. Riff tape called "Shit Happens" from like 93-94.

Edit: Just found the cover

May 20, 2006
This is the same arguement you throw around every time a topic comes up on here about Kansas City not blowing up. Stop blaming all the people that's making moves for the lack of moves by others. These young cats you want to blow up so much, tell them to make some music people actually want to fuck with. Tell them to get out there and make some moves and grab the attention of some labels. If they can't stand out because all these old ass rappers are holding them back, then what chance do they have of actually standing out in the industry as a whole?
O.K, O.K., i'll stop with the "Old Azz Rapperz" excuse and turn the page on "Why the KC music scene hasn't blown up". KPRS is the worst radio station in the nation when it comes to supporting local music. I go to Dallas, Memphis, and St. Louis on a regular so I'm basing my comparison on what I hear on the radio when i'm in those spots. Which is, NEW MUSIC from LOCALS that i've never heard of. If KPRS supported it's KC artists the way it supports Atlanta artists, the exposure, sound, and sales of more local artists will be accepted becuz, "people heard it on the radio". I can't even lie, when my bro Young Kev had his song "I can't help myself" in reg rotation on KPRS, THAT iz what separated him from every other aspiring artist and put him on the same level as established artists....

Aug 31, 2005
ALL Y'ALL ARE MAKIN GOOD POINTS...BOTTOM LINE IS YOU GOTTA HAVE YOUR OPERATION 100% ALL THE WAY AROUND TO BLOW. YOU GOT A COUPLE PEOPLE CLOSE TO THAT, BUT NOT QUITE.

YOU COULD TYPE 10 PAGES ON THIS TOPIC....

CAN Y'ALL NAME ME SOME "RAPPERS" YOU THINK THAT SHOULDA/COULDA DONE BLEW UP AND I'LL TRY TO GIVE A HONEST OPINION AS TO WHY I THINK THEY HAVE NOT GOT THERE YET...

Aug 31, 2005
I can't even lie, when my bro Young Kev had his song "I can't help myself" in reg rotation on KPRS, THAT iz what separated him from every other aspiring artist and put him on the same level as established artists....

WHT UP CHEEZE, SO THAT PUTS HIM IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS XTA-C, CASH IMAGE, CHAIN GANG, RDV'S, D-LOCC DA CHOP, MON E G, PAUL MUSSAN, THE POPPER.....I SAY THAT BC THEY ALL HAD SONGS THAT ENJOYED SOME GOOD ROTATION ON KPRS AND THE HOT 8 AT 8

SO WHT SEPERATED HIM FROM THESE ARTIST AND PUT HIM ON THE SAME LEVEL AS ESTABLISHED ARTIST

May 20, 2006
@ Soul Mutt

Vell Bakardy set the standard of "blowing up" for a KC artist.
1. He had a national record deal with national distribution and national promotion

Tech N9ne raised the level of the "blowing up" for an independent KC artist
1. Strange Music

Rich the Factor set the standard of "Blowing up" for a local artist
1. Major Factor Records has the local scene locked down

Catz that coulda, woulda, should've

Mon-E-G his hustle won't be denied, D-Locc the Chop will get his chance, Young Kev, young talent who's time was cut short.

Any other artist (there are too many too mention) have gotten the results of the effort they have put in. Fucc it i'll go ahead and drop ONE name.

THE POPPER...... Walt iz my dude, but when your brother iz the most established DJ in the area and you can't get on, it ain't gonna happen captain.

May 20, 2006
WHT UP CHEEZE, SO THAT PUTS HIM IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS XTA-C, CASH IMAGE, CHAIN GANG, RDV'S, D-LOCC DA CHOP, MON E G, PAUL MUSSAN, THE POPPER.....I SAY THAT BC THEY ALL HAD SONGS THAT ENJOYED SOME GOOD ROTATION ON KPRS AND THE HOT 8 AT 8

SO WHT SEPERATED HIM FROM THESE ARTIST AND PUT HIM ON THE SAME LEVEL AS ESTABLISHED ARTIST
Kev isn't separated from these artists, he's part of this small fraternity of local artists that have gotten in rotation on KPRS. Out of the 8 artist you named, how many local artists have never been in rotation? Let me drop another name, BLACK Walt. Walt is an established local artist, but has he ever been in rotation on KPRS, no, that's why he isn't on your list Mutt.

May 20, 2006
YEAH, I CAN DIG IT. KPRS IS A MAJOR REASON KC IS WHERE IT IS...THEY NEED A FACELIFT UP THERE.

CHECK YA PM CHEEZE
Do you remember when you could tell what time it was by the song that was playing on KPRS? It's getting back to that B/S. I guarantee you that between 12 and 12:10 Tupac "Dear Momma" will be on the radio. At 5 you will hear that new Kerry Hilson "MisCarried" feat Lil Wayne. I mean how lazy is the PD when you play the exact same song everyday at the exact same time?????

Jul 16, 2008
O.K, O.K., i'll stop with the "Old Azz Rapperz" excuse and turn the page on "Why the KC music scene hasn't blown up". KPRS is the worst radio station in the nation when it comes to supporting local music. I go to Dallas, Memphis, and St. Louis on a regular so I'm basing my comparison on what I hear on the radio when i'm in those spots. Which is, NEW MUSIC from LOCALS that i've never heard of. If KPRS supported it's KC artists the way it supports Atlanta artists, the exposure, sound, and sales of more local artists will be accepted becuz, "people heard it on the radio". I can't even lie, when my bro Young Kev had his song "I can't help myself" in reg rotation on KPRS, THAT iz what separated him from every other aspiring artist and put him on the same level as established artists....
I remember Young Kev Quoted on "RELENTLESS" off of cut the check that Kool Wayne looked out for Local artist more than HOT 103 KKFI is about the only local radio station that supports local music period the only problem with that is Kool Wayne only comes on Thursday @ 12-4:00am, and on hot 103 underground heat comes on friday, and saturday but only for like 20 minutes and most of the songs are famous shit SO BASICALLY FUCK HOT 103 for being blind of what are music can make it to. XTA-C, CASH IMAGE, THE POPPER had successful songs on the station but what about other niggaz
trying to make why cant we have more spins?? So we got Pay the DJ's for some shit just because we don't have a major feature like MON E G with Rick Ross, Or Skatter & Snug with Young Buck ya dig.