Why is rap 10 years ago better than today

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 14, 2011
Sacramento
Yes i would care to elaborate
02/03
Nas god son
KEAK-COPIUM!
Jay-z-blue print
Mac Dre thizzelle washington*not the best mac dre but still respectable
Talib kwali Quality
Blackalicious -blazing arrow
clipse-lord willing* they are mad underrated IMO
x-raided city of kings
t-nutty- last of the flowheikenz
Hollowtip-takin no shortz 2
c-bo-life as a rider
c-bo west side ryders
Yukmouth-godzilla
e40-grit and grind
messy marv-turf politics
too short-married to the game
all those albums werent that good. compare those albums with the ones those artists put out 5 years before that. i think when people say "10 years" they mean the 90's. not 2002

Apr 13, 2008
I don't think it's that much worse these days, but 10 years ago more people bought CDs and that made artists hungrier to make good music to sell.

What I noticed is there's a lot more copycat rappers and producers and not enough artists trying to be original.

I think 10 years ago you had a lot of different styles, and these days everyone is just trying to be 'hot'.

Dec 2, 2011
Mhu thulan
illuminatiguy.tumblr.com
What I noticed is there's a lot more copycat rappers and producers and not enough artists trying to be original.

I think 10 years ago you had a lot of different styles, and these days everyone is just trying to be 'hot'.
not really true. female rappers were lil kim copies, male rappers were jay-z copies and everybody jacked timbaland or neptunes sound and after just blaze, kanye and heatmakerz started to be hot, everybody jacked hi pitched soul sample sound

and if you think mainstream rappers right now, they really have more originality than rappers 10 years ago, like it or not. there was no drakes or cudis back then

Mar 24, 2004
Main Attrakionz next album (probably, who knows they release stuff out of nowhere a lot lol) that is named after that song, Bossalinis & Fooliyones, is getting a physical release on Young One records. They are considering it their debut full length I guess. I've been a Green Ova/Main Attrakionz fan for awhile now so it's dope to see Mondre and Squadda getting even more exposure and I'll be swooping it up for sure.

There is a "video" for that song too..

[video=youtube;ac1aI0fK080]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1aI0fK080&feature=related[/video]
that vid/song is dope!

this "no sleep slap" is all ive heard from them but it knocks

http://limelinx.com/files/767658e6d29fdb3fc709654882a95230

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
This is my cut off of MondreM.A.N.'s last EP, he has released a equally dope album since then as well.

[video=youtube;QBGNdzXhPyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QBGNdzXhPyk[/video]

Jan 22, 2007
sorry pal, but i've heard all of those albums... and most of them are not anything special and/or decent at best, and definitely doesn't warrant the response of "omg omggg that's the dumbest statement i've heard in awhile"... lol you were saying that shit like i said that nothing happened in 1994 or something.

here, let me come up with a brief list of albums that came out in 2010 and 2011 that are similar in quality to what you posted:
big june "the movie"
big krit "krit wuz here"
black mikey "smash blackula smash"
dom kennedy "future street/drug sounds"
onra "chinoiseries pt. 2"
joe blow "you should be paying me"
dom kennedy "from the westside with love"
cellski "big mafi the don"
common "dreamer / believer"
dj quik "the book of david"
j.stalin "prenuptual agreement"
PRG'z "hood headlinaz vol. 2"
e-40 17 different albums or some shit
slum village "villa manifesto"
the slauson boys "there goes the nayborhood"
asap rocky "long live asap"

and i KNOW i'm missing shit.

and the album closest to classic status on that list you posted is jay-z's album, and that came out in 2001.

::
I did not say omg omg, so stop it wit all that . For you to down play 2002 like nothing happened is dumb . I guess we have two different ears when it comes to rap because other than that ASAP rocky most are beating the CDs I listed. Keak copium was a slapper back then and still gets played by me. Same with Godzilla . I'm not saying I don't appreciate some of the talent today , because I do , there's just a lot of hit 10 years ago that we're quality and more written from the heart. You mentioned Joe blow , some of shit is hit of miss his mobb reflections song is definitely that shit that's written from the heart and struggle that I definitely can compare to 10 years Ago. The person that mention rap is better 15 years ago rather than 10 I can partially agree with that.

28g w/o the bag

politically incorrect
Jan 18, 2003
metro's jurisdiction
siccness.net
I did not say omg omg, so stop it wit all that . For you to down play 2002 like nothing happened is dumb . I guess we have two different ears when it comes to rap because other than that ASAP rocky most are beating the CDs I listed. Keak copium was a slapper back then and still gets played by me. Same with Godzilla . I'm not saying I don't appreciate some of the talent today , because I do , there's just a lot of hit 10 years ago that we're quality and more written from the heart. You mentioned Joe blow , some of shit is hit of miss his mobb reflections song is definitely that shit that's written from the heart and struggle that I definitely can compare to 10 years Ago. The person that mention rap is better 15 years ago rather than 10 I can partially agree with that.
let me elaborate... nothing happened in 2002 when you compare it to TODAY. if you ask me, nothing has changed in terms of quality and quantity since about 1999, so it doesn't make any sense to say that 10 years ago was any better than today. it's still the same amount of corny shit on the radio, except it's a different kind of corny. there's just about the same amount of good shit too.

::

Nov 20, 2007
I think it's like someone said, there was good and bad shit thru time period. Hell I bought some weak shit in the mid 90s, 90s. I can agree and disagree about 2002. In 2002 and maybe a couple years before and after was that period where BED was just throwing hella shit out there like those weak ass compilations especially. Maybe between 2001 and 2003, but I remember there was a whole bunch of recycling going on. That could be a reason. People rapping about the same shit could be another reason. The Bay definitely fell off in the fact that we went from doing our own thing and setting trends thru the Bay sound to following everybody else. Fools out here jumping on the mix tape bandwagon back whenever that was could have been a reason too. Seems like we used to be the ones to influence everyone else, and of course they never admitted it, but now were influenced by everyone else. The older bay artists from the 90s completely changing a formula that always worked for them that got us liking them instead of just putting a twist on it could be a reason. I used to like how someone like Quinn rapped before. If it works don't change it.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
Yes i would care to elaborate
02/03
Nas god son
KEAK-COPIUM!
Jay-z-blue print
Mac Dre thizzelle washington*not the best mac dre but still respectable
Talib kwali Quality
Blackalicious -blazing arrow
clipse-lord willing* they are mad underrated IMO
x-raided city of kings
t-nutty- last of the flowheikenz
Hollowtip-takin no shortz 2
c-bo-life as a rider
c-bo west side ryders
Yukmouth-godzilla
e40-grit and grind
messy marv-turf politics
too short-married to the game

All tight.

Brotha Lynch-Now Eat

Killa Tay-Snakes Eyes and Thug Thistle

Nas-Stillmatic

a few more.

Apr 25, 2002
they dont want to look for talent anymore so they seek puppets wich they can control and there are enough rappers out now desperate to do anything for money and fame just look at Lil B and I am not hating but it's sad for rappers who do take the art form serious and put their heart into it.
i disagree. Lil B, imo, takes the art serious as fuck and puts his heart the fuck in it. im not sayin his shits dummy, but i understand what hes doin now. cant say he only does it for the money. dude gives away a gang of songs.

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
Yeah well, maybe that more a different opinion, because I don't think he puts his heart in it, he just makes "troll" music....and as far as the free songs go, its just to built up a bigger buzz, so he won't get money for it now but eventually he gain more fans from it.

Another thing is, how can something without talent be popular? By just playing some "character" and giving kids the idea its cool to be that way but in fact their all false hopes and dreams, that's what most of these rappers do nowadays.

For example selling drugs does not make you instantly rich and doesn't make you have 10 half-naked bitches around you, that's the false image most of the popular rappers and record companies are selling our youth and I can't support that.