Why hasn't Richmond contributed more the Bay Area's Hip Hop scene?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2002
Locksmith is out of Richmond. Dude would lyrically eat up pretty much anyone in the Bay. As far as mainstream success, Master P and Silk used to rep it in the early No Limit days. Frontline made some noise in the "New Bay" era prior to the Hyphy movement.

Props: Joey and Joey
Feb 16, 2006
one thing is, the richmond scene is heavily tied to the streets. many scenes are, but many times it's the ceo and hood holding the rapper down in other places. lot of richmond rappers really be front line soldiers and not 'hood reporters'
so they get caught up more, get killed more and don't have time to really build something

Feb 8, 2006
pretty sure the guy asking the question isn't from this country so has never seen or step foot in these cities he talks about

like homeboy above said Richmond is not a joke. Living there and reppin your street makes you a target and you won't last long

Apr 11, 2003
Broadbeach, AUSTRALIA
Lil G was the most interesting lyrically out of Richmond to me, dude got killed before he really took off.

I like Tha President out of Richmond too, he has a good album out.

Also, who remembers Skant from Richmond, this song used to go hard:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f3aRgw1aUZ8[/ame]

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Lil G was the most interesting lyrically out of Richmond to me, dude got killed before he really took off.

I like Tha President out of Richmond too, he has a good album out.

Also, who remembers Skant from Richmond, this song used to go hard:

Skant - The Team - YouTube

Heard Lil G on a Messy Marv Compilation some years back, dude was talented