Why hasen't tha NW blown up yet?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 17, 2003
Kuz the people that blew up first from the area were jokes or were known for other types of music for ex. Sir mixalot, nirvana ect. the rest of the U.S prolly thinks seattle don't know shit about rap. Thats just what i think tho. _Nutty_

Apr 14, 2003
yo

i think nobody is 'down to business' enough to blow up. cats that are like that still take a while to get somewhere that they can be proud of...
everyone else is slackin by not puttin 110 percent into every project and instead they fuckin off goin and gettin drunk when they not workin.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
people spend too much time cutting other NW artists down.....and the people that made it big from seattle (mix) are not tight....and people still remember that and probably think seattle is still like that.....and there aren't too many tight NW artists with good distribution deals or good promotion....

May 23, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Re: yo

D'struction said:
i think nobody is 'down to business' enough to blow up. cats that are like that still take a while to get somewhere that they can be proud of...
everyone else is slackin by not puttin 110 percent into every project and instead they fuckin off goin and gettin drunk when they not workin.
I agree, that a main reason, also agree with Nick to a point.

May 2, 2002
www.StreetLevelRecords.com
this could take all day

Speaking 4 the 206......
I can dig all that too. but majority of the time its the ARTISTS out here not puttin in their work....plus theres a all kinda animosity/Hate out here between the certain clicks of artists....and honestly tha quality of music from tha town has'nt been consistent enough to warrant any serious
attention....at least thats what im sayin...

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
If you ask me, the reason is that everybody that wanna be a CEO usually walks straight from the curb selling crack, and into an office trying to sell CD's...and it dont work like that. Crack is kinda like the gift that keeps on selling...crack ALWAYS sells out, discount or not, super sale or not. CD's on the other hand, people can give a fuck about, and don't get addicted to.

So what you have here is a whole generation of people trying to HUSTLE their CD's to addictive personalities, instead of just SELLING CD's to people who like quality music.

Solution? CEO's need to go to college...point blank. Or at the least, they need to surround themselves with people who have been to college and gotten degrees in marketing, finance, accounting, public relations and so on. Good luck getting a GOOD unpaid staff and group of interns on your label then the boss only has a GED...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Oh yeah...and no bank in their right mind would finance someone money to start a business (label) who only has a GED/Diploma. So all you people talking about "we could be mainstream if we had more money"....get yourself a business degree and a steady job, come up with a business plan and apply for a small business loan......THEN you have permission to use that excuse.

May 23, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Tadow I like how you put that, I agree with you mostly, I myself plan on gettin' a degree in Audio Production and Business when I get outta HS. But, hustle is a must, degree or not, CEOz and artistz should be in tha street sellin' CDz. Unless your famous and don't really need to.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
tadou said:
Solution? CEO's need to go to college...point blank. Or at the least, they need to surround themselves with people who have been to college and gotten degrees in marketing, finance, accounting, public relations and so on. Good luck getting a GOOD unpaid staff and group of interns on your label then the boss only has a GED...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
I agree with this 100%....Not too many "business" minded people will respect you unless you have some sort of an after high school education, and in the business world, most people won't get anywhere without goin to college....good shit Tadou.

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Just to elaborate...i'm not saying every single rapper and producer on the label should be writing essays and studying 18th century french literature...but it would be nice if the dude at the helm at LEAST took some accounting, finance, and general business classes.

The one thing i think most of us can agree on is that there's a lot of labels dropping albums too often and a lot of labels who don't drop albums often enough--stuttering, instead of a steady pace. Once there's some stability and a few good labels with solid rosters, dropping a project every 3-4 months, i can see some real momentum starting to build up.

So far, the one label i can think of that is making this happen is EastSide Records. Todd G & NCR dropped earlier this year, and Kay Kay, Juice, Bill Yuns & Bullet's new LP are all on the way. (Honestly speaking, if i wasn't myself, i'd be trying to get a deal with them....) Now, all we need is a few more labels to follow their lead...

Oct 8, 2002
www.eastsideriderz.com
^ thanks tadou. I would like to clarify something though.

this year we dropped, J-TREY, TODD G, NCR, KAY KAY, & now the BULLET EP will drop, and JUICE should drop a few days before the new year. It has been an alright year for us.

I do have to say that STREET LEVEL has been preety consistent this year, especially if they get something else out before 2004.

Jus Family justed dropped the BOSKO Presents record. They have a lot of records they could drop but instead of shooting for numbers there trying to make each one count, which i must say dropping the 5 or 6 we will in 2003 makes it harder to get a record to higher sales numbers without the staff you need. the 1000 is cool, but by the time you do a 1000 your dropping another album taking away from the last one. So instead of doing 3000 you doing 1200. 3 records at 3000 =9000, 6 records at 1200 = 7200. My point is consistency is good, especially for trying to build up what your doing, but it doesn't always mean more in the sense of numbers.

oh yea by the ways that was just an example, but it made a good point.

Sep 12, 2002
tadou said:
If you ask me, the reason is that everybody that wanna be a CEO usually walks straight from the curb selling crack, and into an office trying to sell CD's...and it dont work like that. Crack is kinda like the gift that keeps on selling...crack ALWAYS sells out, discount or not, super sale or not. CD's on the other hand, people can give a fuck about, and don't get addicted to.

I disagree, selling crack builds character ..... how dare you demean such a respected profession :cheeky:

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
The only thing I want to mention is that the odds of being succesful in music are very stacked against you.You can give 110% in marketing,and other depts.,and even have great music,but there's a very limited amount of music being bought,therefore alot of times I think luck,and rubbing elbows is probably a main ingredient for the success of a region.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Parapraxis said:
I disagree, selling crack builds character ..... how dare you demean such a respected profession :cheeky:

Some people have to do what they have to do. Some people don't have the luxury of a good profession....