Who is The Best Living/Active Director?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
This discussion took over another thread so lets get everyone in on it. I'm really gonna have to think about this before I give an answer, I expect most people to just name their personal favorite anyway lol. This is gonna be personal/subjective no matter what tho. I'd still like to hear any arguments for a definitive choice, maybe we could get a poll going after this.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I was obviously one of the ones talkin about it but you're right, it's going to be a matter or personal opinion really but hopefully there is some objective posting about this. I'm really going to have to think about it but the guys I named kinda stood out to me from memory: Spielberg, Nolan, Coen Brothers, Scorcese.

I know people will disagree and she doesn't have enough films to really warrant her being on a list with those guys, but I've been extremely impressed by Kathryn Bigelow.

edit: Kubrick and Hitchcock are dead.

Last edited:

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Spielberg as far as quantity, Tarantino and Coen Bros personal favorite, Nolan for consistency, Wes Anderson and David Lynch for originality

There's room at the top for like 20
Not just quantity but Spielberg has put out some straight classics tho...
Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., The Color Purple, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan. That's not even including all the other stuff he had his hand in as a producer which is an even longer list of movies.

Elemenno

F.W.A.H.R.L.D.
Feb 28, 2009
Hard question to answer. A lot of the older directors like Francis Ford Coppola, Herzog, and Scorsese, who are still making films made movies early on that influence the way cinema is made today, but that doesn't mean if a new project comes out by them I'm necessarily going to be drawn to watch it even though some of their movies I feel are some of the best films ever made. For me Paul Thomas Anderson is that director that I want to see anything he does. Also, any animation by Miyazaki I will watch.