Who Is Really Worthy Of Carrying The Torch In The BAY?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Been a sec since I been on here, one love to all the folks holding down this sight!! This thread/question seems to always pop back up in my head as we move in to a new era of Bay Area Hiphop. I could imagine since 2016, the last time I think I posted on this thread, the answer to this may have evolved.
Peep my new compilation Bay Peace 2. 14 tracks including a Herm Lewis intro and new songs with Cellski, Big Rich, Equipto and many more Bay greats sending a message of peace. One love and the most respect
Cio
IMG_6195.jpg IMG_6195.jpg IMG_6195.jpg IMG_6195.jpg

Last edited:
on another note...whats good my young 650 homie Cio ?..i see you still wit this music shit. Most of these cats dont know you, but I remember when you was just a young buck wit some heat, back in like 97 you was rappin trying to make it....you might not remember me but yall was the generation after us..you gotta be near 35 now..did you ever finish ya album?....
Urrraaayyy one love g, I did finish a few albums. My first album is Foundation, solo album. And the other two are Bay Peace 1 and 2. I just released Bay Peace 2 this year in feb.

Apr 25, 2002
This is an interesting thread to look through 8-9 years laters with rappers that didn’t pan out at all or had a quick bubble to blow but didn’t make it.

I look back to my post and reiterate at some point the Bay lost it’s sound and when the copycatting got big and we lost the sound we lost the sales. No one wants to hear Bay club or Migos or other sound someone from another region is already doing.

Last edited:
Props: Cio Castaneda
Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM
Urrraaayyy one love g, I did finish a few albums. My first album is Foundation, solo album. And the other two are Bay Peace 1 and 2. I just released Bay Peace 2 this year in feb.

What's good homie... I just peeped out some track from tag Bay Peace albums and they were solid, good selection of features and you held ya own on those tracks... Glad to see you active on here my LSB homie... Stay solid, ya music is dope neffew

Mar 28, 2006
Poland
propably you all will hate, but as for now for me is Berner
I've been listening to this dude since day 1. Dirty Sneakers , Weekend at Bernie’s , Drought Season and it goes on and on. Then the The White Album which was great. I know there was alot of hate. Drought Season with Berner cut off, it was fuckd up. Loved the dude and still bump him. Every album he drop is good.
For me he's carrying the torch, because evey album he drops is dope

Had a convo about this and I think Ramirez has potential, ZayBang, Blasta.
One love my g, thanks for responding to the post. Man not gonna front, this is the first time i listened to Ramirez, im speechless!! Dont think anyone has took this route from the Bay. Man I spent hours last night watching this cats videos and evolution and where he is now and really, it put things in to an interesting perspective. Im not too into the style of music like Suicide Boys or Pouya, talent yes, flavor dope, recipe of course but not really my cup of tea, not trying to take any credit from their success. I just wasnt on it. Again Im gonna have to sit on this for a minute and process Ramirez!!! Seems like he is one of the biggest cats to come out of the Bay presently/historically because of the magnitude of his success and carrys Frisco with him. I definitley heard in an interview tho that he doesn't work with anyone in the Bay. He cant find the sound he is looking for here in the BAy. There is no question about his success, the homie did it, made it, took it to a different level, and earned a spot in the shade and now lives in Miami, much respect to him and all his success, he is a unique Emcee and eye opening. he really brings new light to this question.
makes me ask myself:

Is it possible that the torch I speak of is still lit and folks may have lit other torches from the same flame???????
Is this torch I speak possibly restricting and constricting and limiting evolution of the craft???

The rappers back in the Golden era didnt have this luxory with the web and social media. there was tapes and word of mouth it felt. Those who came up in this era didnt come up alone the were lifted up by the folks in their own hoods and the greater Bay who appreciated their music.
It may be said that today rappers may have a slight advantage with being able to blow up online(with or with out the hometown love) and soundlcoud but its not to say they didn't earn their success rightfully and that anyone could do it. the right recipe is still needed and most are lifted by their hoods and folks..

Blasta is dope with bars and killing it no doubt!!

Zay bang, lil Bean, Lil Yee are dang near creating a Frisco rennassaince if they havent already. Frisco has produced some of the bay areas greatest no question and these cats I feel are the epitomy of the new social media era but also a homebread sound rooted from one of the bays most important sources of music repping it to the T!!

I dont feel worthy of saying who i feel is carrying the torch, all i have is my upbringing and opinion . But i wont lie that for many years I felt a void in my heart and felt the Bay wasnt ticking, there was something missing and thats partly why I asked the question. the Hyphy movement was momentarily cool but a movement has to be more then a result to being under the influence(thats not a great description but somewhat true), at some point the party ends.However the spirit remains, i loved that movement.
Today bounderies and statelines are almost invisible in music and it seems like there is just one recipe and everyone is trying to recreate that recipe to get it! This creates a monotone in hiphop where in my persoanl opinion, you dont get too much variation and instead Over saturation.

If anyone is carrying the torch tho in my opinion, these folks mentioned above definitely seem to be worthy. I have a harsh look at it. in the last 15 years the only cat i felt was worthy was J Stalin(but i could be super wrong and have a limited source of input to help me come to that decision)and Im old :). Not to say other folks werent amazingly talented and brilliant in one bit. but when i think about the golden era, ther torch that the pioneeers lived and died for, there is a certain movement, touch and style that encompasses the idea of carrying the torch, i feel like one who is carrying this torch not only reps themselves but also all the others who carried the torch before them and this is not easy to live up to. there are specific ingedients to it.

Mos definitely I want to go on limb and say I feel Lil Bean has the right idea. I feel this cat really is carrying the torch and i think whether he want to or not hes keeping the torch lit along with many other folks in the Bay right now by what hes doing and what he is carrying on his back reppin Fillmore and its history in such a exceptional manner.

ok enough from my babbling ass!!! Im still stuck on RAMIREZ tho!! this is gonna take a minute for me to process in my own lil world. Definitely much love to Blasta, Im gonna stay tuned to the young king!! And hats off to Zay Bang, Lil Bean, and Lil Yee......

F.A.T.A.L @F.A.T.A.L Thank you for lacing a g up!! I put a block on my mind years ago because I was starying to close my self to all that was coming out in the Bay/mixed witht the soical media movement. Its like i was at a table being served soup till the point it was overflowing on to the floor and getting messy. over saturated with trend, style and hype instead of creativity, style and originality. So when i asked this question, i wasnt trying to be the ultimate judge and point fingers saing yaye and naye. instead it really was to get my out of touch ass laced up a bit. so one love to Siccness for letting this thread ride for the years it has and much love to all the folks that have gave insight on this thread through the years.

I actually have some other names of folkes that i feel may be worthy but im not going to say anything yet.

my final houghts are: does a magnitude of success automatically mean the individual is carrying the torch lit or keeping it lit??

Last edited:
Props: Thizzlejuice
propably you all will hate, but as for now for me is Berner
I've been listening to this dude since day 1. Dirty Sneakers , Weekend at Bernie’s , Drought Season and it goes on and on. Then the The White Album which was great. I know there was alot of hate. Drought Season with Berner cut off, it was fuckd up. Loved the dude and still bump him. Every album he drop is good.
For me he's carrying the torch, because evey album he drops is dope
One love my G!! Berner is a very unique individual. In my last post I asked the question:
Is it possible that the torch is not only still lit but cats are lighting new torches from the same flame??????? When I think of berner I think of this, he too is one of the biggest artist to come out the Bay and take it to another level. Could this new question apply to him.
One way or another Berner is keeping the torch lit, giving back to the Bay and opening doors for folks left and right and stays present. I agree with you on this 4 sho!! not only is this guy one of the few carrying the torch with his sound and music but he is also a leader and an entepeneur for folks in the4 BAy and beyond. Much love to King Berner!!! and thank you swinka @swinka for bringing him up!! one love

Props: swinka
Mar 28, 2006
Poland
I wish Berner to make an European tour, but on other hand most of artist skip Poland...

About our post on Ramirez. It's funny I found him about week ago. Now I'm learning about his stuff on Tidal - bump him on my way to work

Mar 28, 2006
Poland
so who is carrying the torch then? From all the Bay rappers I dont remember someone dropping so many solid albums.
Share us with your knowledge. Maybe you got someone on your mind I dont know, and I would love to hear him, or just you a hater bro

Last edited:
Berner is trash and when people exist that think that he is the one carrying the torch in the bay, then you might as well give up...fuck.
If thats how you feel more power to you. Thank you for responding to the post. In 2012 or so I asked this quesiton because up to that point it was hard to say who was carrying the torch. Today in 2020, alot has changed.
The main thing is that there is a particular style, beat, flow from the Bay that never really got its love in the main stream. We have a style of rap and beat production here thats unique to us and in my heart its a fresh beautiful real style full of knowledge game and real persepectives and never really got its chance to shine. Maybe in the Bay and up and down the coast and even through Texas but the Bay style is still to be recognized nationally and shit, globally too. I may be wrong on different levels, there are many rappers from the Bay who have gained international and national recognition, the question is are they doing Bay style music or making trendy music that fits a current popular format? Im no one to judge or take away any credit from anyones success but i do have an ear for that Bay sound and when i hear it in new artist, it literally brings joy to my heart!! ok well im elaborationg a bunch now but once again thanks for your post, respect to Berner regardless, and everyone on the Siccness network. Thank you for holding down this space for the Bay for so many years!! There is no other space for us in the BAylike this and this in my eyes its sacred stuff. Blessings and love from your homie Cio.
The Hiphop Priest