Who Is Really Worthy Of Carrying The Torch In The BAY?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 28, 2006
the bay area is going thru a massive gentrification. people in urban areas are moving out of the bay area is at a all-time high. you really think you'll find a legit artist out of "frisco" when condos on top of a whole foods are being reconstructed while residence are being evicted? believe it or not, as much as they portray oakland as a violent city on news, slowly, it's becoming a hot spot for same white entreprenuer who rinse out the mission in SF. google it. if i had the time to tell a friend to tell a friend who the next big artist in the bay was, it would happen. from hd, jealous guys, husalah, sacred, etc... but we're sidetracked by financial problems due to these circumstances.

Mar 1, 2006
If youre talking about someone to blow up and be a popular figurehead of the bay, and represent it the way most of you think they should be. Nobody.

If youre just talking about someone from the bay that can make lots of money in the mainstream, Keyshia Cole, Baby Bash, Too Short, IAMSU...why not...

It should have been Mistah FAB. Mistah FAB is an extremely talented guy, but he hops on trends and seems like he'd rather be the goof in the background then be "that guy". He rode hyphy way too hard and hasn't rebounded. Example: Hyphy is over for a few years, the bay hype has died down, he's had some backpacker stuff come out, Drake comes to the bay to film the motto, mistah fab gets to be in the video, he gladly stands in the background with his sideways hat, big ass chain from his hyphy videos, and a goofy yellow phone, schucking and jiving around in the background like an asshole...

On some real hip-hop shit, Locksmith. Locksmith is an absolute animal. If youre looking for someone that I would pick "my guy vs. your guy", region vs. region. Locksmith. Guys like R.A. The Rugged Man are praising Locksmith on twitter and facebook, and that means something.
Preach brotha

nobody can carry the torch for the bay if they bay aint behind them... the reason hyphy popped so hard cuz everybody was united for mac dre ... ever since that shit died down its been uglee everyone beefin and rappers been fallin off gettin old washed up etc... the bay dont support the bay no more... siccness used to crack back in the day that shit died down hella hard i feel bad... kmel aint never really supported the bay since the 90s... its always been underground, from natural unity... but it aint like that no more, we got the internet everything is instant - its a new game so it gonna take someone new... we gotta come together respect each other thats how the bay gone win and it cant just b one person... atl got many starz and thats how they took over... thats why new york fell off too cuz all they look for is jay nas and diddy you need a wide range of artist to have musical diversity... too much hating not enough congradulating everybody shit we cant represent when we fighting amongst each other... i stopped posting on siccness cuz of all the hating, i only came back cuz i seen someone on here still fuck wit me... and i respect the site... but yall hate so much yall keep away the good people and wonder why aint nothing good happening

Last edited:
i stopped listening to bay rap cuz it promote violence and negativety... i had my share when i was young and dumb, had a few close calls that me realize wat count in my life... i can't listen to that music its highly influencial, i used to act bad off some bay music that shit aint good i swear to u... it will influence u to do some evil... i was a big bay area fan had everybody cd i loved gangster rap i cant lie mob music all that... but once u grow up and u see the realities of what u listening to, that shit stop being coo... especially when it hit you directly and people u love... i stopped listening and just doin my own music...

im tired of seein all this people doing bad out here i cant listen to none of the music posted from bay artist cuz most of em promoting violence, drug use, pimpin or whatever thugg shit they can come up with robberies etc... i kno this a gangster rap website tho its funny that this is the music i grew up on ... its a good thing i listened to it cuz it changed me into who i am today... i respect the cats that came from that life and rapping about what they went thru, but it gets to a point where u gotta let go of it or it will just take you down... especially when you promoting evil, it aint your friend ima tell u dat right now...

mac dre didnt neccesarily promote it on the surface thats why he popped so hard... he was about having fun to poeple who didnt know, but people who did know knew had one foot in the streets and it took him from us, its a sad thing... but it happens every day, and its been happening for years... cats are really numb to this shit unless it hit them directly... all i can say is as someone who is now on the outside, i see why people dont listen to us much... i lightweight think we look bad, and we dont have to... we just show the wrong side of who we are... i lost pretty much all respect for bay music and i dont listen to it or associate with it... and i dont blame the rest of the nation for that either

SF TRAXX

Composer / Producer
i stopped listening to bay rap cuz it promote violence and negativety... i had my share when i was young and dumb, had a few close calls that me realize wat count in my life... i can't listen to that music its highly influencial, i used to act bad off some bay music that shit aint good i swear to u... it will influence u to do some evil... i was a big bay area fan had everybody cd i loved gangster rap i cant lie mob music all that... but once u grow up and u see the realities of what u listening to, that shit stop being coo... especially when it hit you directly and people u love... i stopped listening and just doin my own music...

im tired of seein all this people doing bad out here i cant listen to none of the music posted from bay artist cuz most of em promoting violence, drug use, pimpin or whatever thugg shit they can come up with robberies etc... i kno this a gangster rap website tho its funny that this is the music i grew up on ... its a good thing i listened to it cuz it changed me into who i am today... i respect the cats that came from that life and rapping about what they went thru, but it gets to a point where u gotta let go of it or it will just take you down... especially when you promoting evil, it aint your friend ima tell u dat right now...

mac dre didnt neccesarily promote it on the surface thats why he popped so hard... he was about having fun to poeple who didnt know, but people who did know knew had one foot in the streets and it took him from us, its a sad thing... but it happens every day, and its been happening for years... cats are really numb to this shit unless it hit them directly... all i can say is as someone who is now on the outside, i see why people dont listen to us much... i lightweight think we look bad, and we dont have to... we just show the wrong side of who we are...
I can feel this.

I'm comin from the same place.

Wasssgoood SICCNESS folks, been a minute since I have been on the page.

Wish the best to everyone, have a great New Years!!

To follow up though 2 years later.......Who is carrying the torch that was lit in the late 80's though the 90's and into the new millennium that paved the path for all those to follow.

But who is carrying the torch.

one love

Its been a minute since I been on here and its good to be back. Since I been on we lost the Jacka and many more unfortunately but the torch which was once lit by the founding fathers and mothers of bay Area Hiphop/rap still is lit. The question is who and what is keeping it lit in todays world, is it the web, is it the strategic powers, is it drugs, is it game is it raw talent? I wish i could answer this but all i know is that not many have what it takes to keep the flame lit although it may seem like they are. Very few are actually keeping this torch lit in my humble opinion.
Im a true believer in The Bay's history and take much pride in all the folks that laid down the path for us to follow and start paths of our own and lead new generations. Actually the Bay is home to many great musicians but we have always had some type of barrier as far as reaching other area codes. Thank God for the web and distance it covers enabling many artist to reach places outside of the Bay and all over the world. But when it comes down to the nitty gritty who really is carrying the torch right now here within this 50 or so mile radius. i have a limited bias opinion and i have my folks keeping me tuned in with some local Frisco cats but Im also trying to really get an opinion from yall to see who really is worthy of carrying the torch in the Bay. I've said J- Stalin since to me he is a new generation rapper but now its definitely an honor to say he is one of the folks carrying the torch and has been undoubtably. I hear alot of cats from the Bay all the time but yet do i have to hear a cat really set a new standard. lace a g up. One love and God bless, I'll be performing at incline gallery on Valencia street at the event in the link: https://www.facebook.com/events/528174497642319/

Props: dalycity650
Ma
nobody can carry the torch for the bay if they bay aint behind them... the reason hyphy popped so hard cuz everybody was united for mac dre ... ever since that shit died down its been uglee everyone beefin and rappers been fallin off gettin old washed up etc... the bay dont support the bay no more... siccness used to crack back in the day that shit died down hella hard i feel bad... kmel aint never really supported the bay since the 90s... its always been underground, from natural unity... but it aint like that no more, we got the internet everything is instant - its a new game so it gonna take someone new... we gotta come together respect each other thats how the bay gone win and it cant just b one person... atl got many starz and thats how they took over... thats why new york fell off too cuz all they look for is jay nas and diddy you need a wide range of artist to have musical diversity... too much hating not enough congradulating everybody shit we cant represent when we fighting amongst each other... i stopped posting on siccness cuz of all the hating, i only came back cuz i seen someone on here still fuck wit me... and i respect the site... but yall hate so much yall keep away the good people and wonder why aint nothing good happening[/QUOTE

Man, i havent been on for a few years but this question always pops up in my head. A couple minutes ago i was writing a reply to my original post and started thinking to myself, dang, i dont even know now in days who exists in the Bay doing things and Ive become detached listening to all sorts of different genres. seems like i dont listen to hiphop/rap for days sometimes but at anytime of the day i could slap nightmare on 10th street. So this question evolved into me almost seeking out to yall to see who is doing things and automatically my next thought was-if many people mention someone in particular, then shit the BAy should be supporting that cat to carry the torch. feel me. Thank you for your response, i completely agree, we need to support our local artist that are good artist, go to their shows, buy merch, really support the artist that are truely carrying the torch or have the potential. Seems like its very challenging now to decipher who that may be with some many different energies all over the Bay and the internet. one love and much respecthttps://www.facebook.com/events/528174497642319/

mac dre didnt neccesarily promote it on the surface thats why he popped so hard... he was about having fun to poeple who didnt know, but people who did know knew had one foot in the streets and it took him from us, its a sad thing... but it happens every day, and its been happening for years... cats are really numb to this shit unless it hit them directly... all i can say is as someone who is now on the outside, i see why people dont listen to us much... i lightweight think we look bad, and we dont have to... we just show the wrong side of who we are... i lost pretty much all respect for bay music and i dont listen to it or associate with it... and i dont blame the rest of the nation for that either
I could respect that. Thank you for your response. I disagree with you on many levels. Yes it does influence, yes there is messages of drugs, violence and the disrespect of the anatomy of women all amongst the chapters of Bay Area Hiphop as in Hiphop and many genras across the map internationally since day 1. However on the flipside, there was resilience, there was love, there was family, there was community building, there was planning and communication, there was entrepreneurship that taught an industry new ways to approach production, there were families built, some folks lost their lives just to put something on the map for the next generation, I could go on with all the good that was going on as well and if you really dig deep and listen to the albums, there was always songs with messages or for the people mixed in for example BEAT THE PROPHECY by San Quinn and JT or go back through mac Malls files, young brothas got to get it together, or how about where it all started HERM Louis speaking game on Ruthless By LAw just to mention few examples. I feel this boils down to what you take from things in life and what you don't and that is the choice of each individual, I'm not saying your wrong and i respect what you believe in and what you may teach to your fam and people, i just cant not express myself on something that has developed into a lifelong passion for me literally helping me through life directly taking the good (imo) from the golden era of bay area hiphop.
Sometimes history's aren't written in a manner that may be the greatest but I do believe that those carrying the torch are also Hieroglyphics, the Coup, Pac, Too Short, I mean this list can go on as far as greats that have had something to do with our torch here in the Bay. I know most of us dont include Heiro in part of all the gangsta set/mob shit but as far as I'm concerned they are way part of it and so thats why i feel this torch that was lit here in the Bay area cant go out. I pray folks like yourself maybe can embrace this beautiful history that was made here in the Bay and not turn your back on it. We are the history, it is being written, maybe the torch wont be noticed for 100 years but at least we could do what ever is in our Power to keep that torch lit because those who started it, started it for a reason and we as musicians and producers should do everything we can to uphold that golden era and all our history that lit the torch. One love and much respect

I think the internet changed the music game under everyone's noses

What I mean by that is anyone can carry the torch and there's really no race or competition to begin with

The game is open wide enough for you to like whomever you want to

More important to have diversity IMO than for one person to do some superstar that saves the whole bay shit

Just keep doing you, whatever you do. That's gonna keep the torch lit. The people who are in this for the love of the music will prosper, they'll be the only ones left.

People are hella different...both the artists and the listeners....that's how it should be ...maybe I think like that because my money isn't invested in rap ..maybe hip hop but not rap...at the end of the day tho the only way you're getting me to buy any thing in 2014 is staying true to yourself....and that's not necessarily going to carry any sort of torch that just means real recognizes real & that's it

As an artist I'm just doing me...not really worried about anyone else or the technicalities....If I'll carry a torch or not....just creating art that will live longer than my physical and tell a story...more important than the present place where I lay my head. Life could place me in Texas next year, who knows. I'ma do my thing no matter where I'm at and I'm not doing it to blow that specific city or area up
Urrrayyy one love and thank you for your response, I do not agree that anyone can carry the torch at all most definitely not in anyway. Also there has been no mention of a checkered flag, Im not focused on competition or a race, i agree folks can like whom ever, I presently am listening to alot of Steel Pulse, one clarification though is that nowhere once have i ever made a connection with "some superstar thats saves the whole bay shit" and what i mean when i say who is carrying the torch. (Also i don't believe the Bay needs to be saved, i feel the Bay is doing what every other big city is doing as far as social media. I 1000% support your outlook, i feel as an artist doing you is foundation and essential and will more likely break or make an artist, hands down, end of story. originality would imo be a characteristic of an individual carrying the torch in the Bay. Also i agree completely that those who are in it for the love of the music will prosper always but not necessarily carry the torch accept for maybe in their own heart and soul. lol

I feel what my question is evolving into is basically coming together to support artist that should be supported. Its very accurate that because of the internet there is no boundaries and the torch in which i speak of may be obsolete based on perception. But there is no way of denying that it was lit at some point by the fathers and sisters of bay area Hiphop and so now the question is do we let that flame go out and let the internet social media monster dissipate our torch and its significance? When i first asked this question in 2012, the game was different then it is now and way different then 97 and so inevitably the motive of the question is somewhat evolving.

Thank you for your response, I really feel your stand point on things but i feel this is bigger then you or me. Its our history we share together including Deejays: Qbert and Shortkut or Magic Mike, or Graffiti artist such as Spie and Dream or breakers like Rob Nasty or Wako and of course Emcees like Pac and Heiro or Paris. Its truely a glorious and beautiful history. One love good homie, again thank you for your words.

Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM
on another note...whats good my young 650 homie Cio ?..i see you still wit this music shit. Most of these cats dont know you, but I remember when you was just a young buck wit some heat, back in like 97 you was rappin trying to make it....you might not remember me but yall was the generation after us..you gotta be near 35 now..did you ever finish ya album?....

Props: Cio Castaneda