Who can break this down for me?!?!?!?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 15, 2002
thefreshestkids.com
Yo, I am hollerin at an emcee to do a guest appearance on a track I have in mind but we are not in the same state. Now the question is, who knows how it's done concerning having the artist record the track and sending it in the mail?!? What happens after that point, can the studio mix the verse to make it sound like we recorded in the same studio time frame?!?! And what is the difference between formats it's recorded in?!? I'm new to that shit, any help will be appreciated.Thanx.:devious:

Apr 26, 2002
Try to get it recorded at a Pro Tools Studio on whatever platform Mac or PC, then have them burn the actual session file to Disc, ship it out and have the emcee record his part on there. save it to disk, ship it back, mix it, and itz all gravy!

Apr 25, 2002
Northtown702 said:
Yo, I am hollerin at an emcee to do a guest appearance on a track I have in mind but we are not in the same state. Now the question is, who knows how it's done concerning having the artist record the track and sending it in the mail?!? What happens after that point, can the studio mix the verse to make it sound like we recorded in the same studio time frame?!?! And what is the difference between formats it's recorded in?!? I'm new to that shit, any help will be appreciated.Thanx.:devious:
Understand that if you are recording vocals at two different spots, its going to be two different sounds. Atleast two different sets of ears are going to be doing what they think sounds good.

Can your mix engineer make it sound like all the vocals were recorded at the same place? If your mix engineer knows what the he is doing. Just remember, you can't make shit shine. If dude sends you crap, ain't much you can do about that.

I don't know if you are just doing this for fun or what but if it's something you're taking serious, be serious about it. Have dude fly out to where you do your recording and do it the right way.

One last thing... You don't need to use pro-tools at all so if you don't have access to that, don't trip. He doesn't need your session files or any of that, all he needs is a semi-mixed mixdown that can be on a regular audio cd. He can record and save his vocals to a .WAV file and send that back to you. You can import very easily into any multi-tracking setup.

Apr 26, 2002
^True, but if he did have access to the Pro Tools Session files, basically one engineer needs to mix it, the other just needs to record it. Preferably with the Same mic and Pre-amp(if used at all).

Thatz how I would personally do it if lets say the person lived on the opposite side of the Country, or in a another country.