Which Do You Tend To Trust More: Dictionary or Thesaurus?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
I tend to use the Thesaurus because it provides a simple, concise definition; then provides a whole gang of related terms, so you can see if that meaning is really the one you wish to convey.

Dictionaries are good because they show root words, but to me, they are best used for languages you are unfamiliar with, or if you're more concerned with spelling than meaning.

Thoughts?

Dec 25, 2003
tadou: you're right. a thesaurus is a far better source of a definition than a dictionary.

As a matter of fact, I drove home today, not guided by a map, but by a world atlas. The fun continued as I baked a cake in my toaster. I just finished hitching my 35 foot boat up to my mountain bike, which I will tow up north this weekend. I'm saving on phone service by using the string-cup method with my neighbors, and soon I hope to be able to post on this message board through a GPS.

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
@White Devil
You can keep being whatever kind of smart ass you want, and putting words in my mouth, but you know that what i am saying already makes exact sense.

DICTIONARIES: DEFINITION
THESAURUS: CONTEXT

PERIOD

And if you really wanted to be a fucking prick about it, a lexicon will shit all over a dictionary, but i'd rather pay $10 than $500 and take up 50 times more space.

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
I'm sorry, phil. I must be hallucinating to think that some of the Siccness' brightest minds might ACTUALLY be writing essays, speeches, reports, articles, poetry, etc. instead of generally being assholes and arguing just to argue.

I guess i know which category you fit into now.