what's wrong with FL?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Wold

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
Most ppl think that FL is weck because of the perset sounds, but if you know how to use the oscillators and know how to fix the Soundwaves and EQ them, then you should be doing good music with FL.

1.Delete all of the perset drum sounds cause they Suck.

2.Learn how to make you're own sounds and fuck with the oscillators on the perset sounds to get the most out of each sound

3.learn how to mix

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i dunno, i got a copy of it and didn't like manuvering through the program and it just looks cheap and cheezy to me and the sounds that come with the versian i had were lame. It actually has more features than reason though like vst support and the ability to record audio, i still like reason and cubase more though. its a matter of preference.

Mar 6, 2006
i dont even use the stock presets so i thats not an issue to me at all....

some instruments i use a lot are sytrus, fruity granulizer, 3X osc and fruity kick.....all of those can make dope sounds, anyways if you dont like em you can add any new VSTis you want......plus the mixer has like 70 tracks...that come with some tight pluggins (multi band compressor is hella good, UQUO, reverbs, chorus's, phasers....etc) and you can add new VST pluggins easily

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
man its the sound u get out of it, most people use the step sequencer and ur result is tight ass quantized fl beats. I didn't like the midi capabilities of it either. You coulda only used one controller at a time. Not even hating, the people that make good beats on it know their shit.

Mar 6, 2006
Carnage187 said:
man its the sound u get out of it, most people use the step sequencer and ur result is tight ass quantized fl beats. I didn't like the midi capabilities of it either. You coulda only used one controller at a time. Not even hating, the people that make good beats on it know their shit.
i use piano roll for everything...with hella humanization.....there's no way my shit sounds quantinized

and for a MIDI controller im using my regular typing keyboard (LOL) so i dont need shit for MIDI ins....but i do know that you can set it up to have multiple external controllers

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
IMHO the name and look of the program has turned off a lot of would be users. I tried using it like once or twice but swiftly deleted it because it wasn't for me. I didn't like the interface and the program didn't inspire me to be creative. If it works for you go ahead and use it. I simply see it as tool and nothing more, however it is not a tool I would use.

Jun 27, 2005
I think it has a bad rep for a couple reasons. 1. like yall said, most of the presets are hoot and people dont know how to model their own sounds or how to use vsts. 2. Its basically an entry level music making software, so you got a lot of people who are new to music buyin it with a head full of dreams thinkin they gonna be the next rick rock or just blaze and they get disappointed when they realize its not as easy as they thought it would be, and their first reaction is to blame the software as opposed to their total lack of talent and training (no, it couldnt be that! LOL)

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
XxtraMannish said:
I think it has a bad rep for a couple reasons. 1. like yall said, most of the presets are hoot and people dont know how to model their own sounds or how to use vsts. 2. Its basically an entry level music making software, so you got a lot of people who are new to music buyin it with a head full of dreams thinkin they gonna be the next rick rock or just blaze and they get disappointed when they realize its not as easy as they thought it would be, and their first reaction is to blame the software as opposed to their total lack of talent and training (no, it couldnt be that! LOL)
Thats true. I also noticed something similar with people who run pro tools on certain pc setups. They run them on janky pc's (like the best buy special or marked down dells) and expect the program to function properly. When they cant get their shit to work they go blaming digi design and say things like "fuck pro tools".

May 25, 2005
I dont use it, but i fucked with it a few times. Didnt care much for it, seein how i already was deep into Reason. I couldnt judge it, but people be tellin me that they prefer Fruity loops over Reason because Reason is "harder to use and figure out". Like Heresy mentioned about the name and the look, i remember the first time my homie was tellin me about it when he got it, i said i was never gonna use a program with the word "fruity" in it LOL.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
REALLY NOT TO MUCH DIFFERENT SOME TOP HEADS COMING UP IN THE PRODUCING GAME USE FL THEY HAVE ALOT OF SOUND KITS THATS THE MAIN THING BUT IF YOU ARE DOING OFF THE ORGINAL SOUND KITS FL HAS THEN YEA ITS GARBAGE AKA NEWBIE STUFF TO JUST LEARN WHICH IS OK UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

Dec 7, 2004
www.myspace.com
Like y'all said, nothin wrong with it, If you really know the program, u can do a lot of things. For me, the program fit naturally because ive been using computers since i was 4 years old (16years ago). People like me have been conditioned to not be intimidated by different windows and images. It all depends on what kind of person you are. Also the equipment doesnt make the musician as much as the musician makes the equipment. W/ that bein said, the one thing that fruity loops is very weak in is the sequencing, its a bit to robotic, not really natural like some of the drum machines out there.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
^^all i can say is expierincing how to use software its a lo end program but if you craft it you can really make some nice nice beats other then that its just another program

Mar 4, 2006
Shit one of my folks made me a sick ass beat on Fruity Loops like a year ago. The beat still sounds brand new. Like a lot of you said it's not what kind of production equipment you got it's how you use it.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
autistic said:
Shit one of my folks made me a sick ass beat on Fruity Loops like a year ago. The beat still sounds brand new. Like a lot of you said it's not what kind of production equipment you got it's how you use it.
I beleive it...cause some people actually like phonk-beta......

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
didn't most of 9th wonders beat's come from fruity loops? I can't really comment on it since I've never used it (I'm alergic to windows) but most of the shit I heard from people using sound hella monotonous, just loops with a looped drum pattern over and over and over and over....maybe they'll throw in one change in loop selection for the hook, but besides that, ehh....thats what I like about reason, you can actually structure the song...I became way more visual with making beats since I learned pro tools before anything else, IMO the only thing reason lacks is a wav editor...

TROLL

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2003
i had fruity loops on my comp for hella long before i finally sat and took the time to learn the fuckin thing.. i was hella dissapointed when my beats started sounding the same but then when i realized how too add new sounds it was all gravy..