what's the new criteria for pitchers goin' into the hall of fame

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2009
if you have 300 wins in baseball you'd pretty much be a lock for the hall, but since baseball has changed so much what do ya'll think should be the mark to consider a pitcher a hall of famer?

the homerun totals have gone down through out the years so i guess 500 is a good number but not to many pitchers will make that 300 mark

May 15, 2009
LOL, I'm just playing...

Tim's got 2 Cy youngs already, looking at 3 maybe after this year. He's got a long way to go and we'll see how injuries play out. It's too early to tell, but he's off to a fuckin great start that's for damn sure...
lol i was like "who the hell is that" had to look it up on wikipedia lol

May 15, 2009
Hahaha...

I dunno though, Jamie Moyer? Pedro Martinez? Smoltz? Mariano Rivera? Trevor Hoffman? Randy Johnson?
yeah most likely...i was just browsin' through some stats on yahoo today and was thinkin' bout that cause even people like roy halladay has hella wins to go to get that mark...i think the closest is jamie moyer and he's in the low 200's

Mar 27, 2006
Smoltz,Hoffman and Rivera are locks for the HOF....

Smoltz - The only pitcher to have 200+ wins and 150+ saves, 1 Cy Young, 1 Championship, 8x All-Star, 3000+ Strikeouts etc.....

Rivera - 10x All-Star, 5x Champion, World Series MVP, 2nd all-time in saves with 530+ and still going etc.....

Hoffman - 7x All-Star, Individual records, All-Time saves leader with 590+ and still going......

Mar 27, 2006
Maddox and Glavine are locks for sure......As for the others who knows. Its probably gonna take Oswalt and Moyer a few tries on the ballot but I dont see it happening because of thier resume.

Maddox - 8x All-Star, 1 Championship, 18 Gold Gloves, 4 Cy Young, 350+wins and 3300+Strikeouts

Glavine - 10x All-Star, 1 Championship, 4x Silver Slugger, 2 NL Cy Young, World Series MVP, 300+wins, 2600+Strikeouts

Jul 6, 2008
Smoltz,Hoffman and Rivera are locks for the HOF....

Smoltz - The only pitcher to have 200+ wins and 150+ saves, 1 Cy Young, 1 Championship, 8x All-Star, 3000+ Strikeouts etc.....

Rivera - 10x All-Star, 5x Champion, World Series MVP, 2nd all-time in saves with 530+ and still going etc.....

Hoffman - 7x All-Star, Individual records, All-Time saves leader with 590+ and still going......
dude whatever the fuck, eckersley also, has like 200 wins and 200 saves.

i think to get into the hall of fame you jsut got to dominate the league or your postion for areound a decade. or you got to transcend the game or make a mark on the game that nobodys done before, ala ozzie smith, not great offensive stats, but his defense was memorable and fresh and new.

i think sandy koufax only played 9 seasons and he entered the hall of fame, cuz he dominted all 9 seasons. his stats werent all-time best great records but he dominted for when he played.

i think if lincecum wins his 3rd straight cy young he wouldnt be locked in, but he would be highly regarded to make it in, just cuz he has been domintaing baseball for the time he was playing. sure, he would have to play a couple more years, but if he wanted to retire in 5 years, and had these 3 straight cy youngs, and then some above average seasons, follwing this season, then i could see writers going yes, he fits the hall of fame.

and with his skinny frame, and non-conditioning routine in the offseason, i can see his body breaking down in the future.

im not sure if saves count as much anymore, cuz of the actual closer only working 2-3 batters to get that save. it is more on how the pitcher got taht save taht counts, like if it was a pressure situation, but the majority of these saves players have been getting nowadays, is when the team is up a ton of runs.

that is why players like lee smith and other volume save closers arent getting in, but you ahve people like mariano rivera getting in because these kind of closers have meaningful memorable saves througout their career.

all in all, it all winds down to if the palyer had a meaningful and memorable career to get intot he hall of fame. the voters ask themselves, what did this guy do for baeball? was it meaningful? was it memorable?

but, rally, what the fuck do i know, i dont care for baseball anymore, but this is jsut based on when i used to be a fan.