what's an environment?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 9, 2005
Spiritual? Yes. Political? Yes. Environmental? Apparently not.

This is the view I receive from members on this board, as the topic of the environment is never discussed. Is it because no-one here really cares about the environment, i.e. you're all too busy with your self-important lives to give a damn, do you believe that you're too small to do anything about it, or are you simply ignorant to the dangers that we, as a species, currently face?

I am not directing any such comments at particular individuals, so don't get your backs up. I am simply curious as to if everyone is aware of the environmental crises that we are currently experiencing. I'm not just talking about global warming, there are numerous topics which fall under this heading, such as water conservation and wildlife preservation.

My question - Has anyone here done anything to decrease your impact on the environment, such as volunteering, switching to a renewable energy source, changing from incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs or even actively conserving electricity in your home? If so, what measures have you implemented? If not, why not?

Aug 8, 2003
recycling, driving less, grabbing extra blankets instead of turning on the heat.... thats about the extent i go.. another thing that i dont do is litter, some of my homies do like its nothin but i dont personally..

Mar 9, 2005
It's good that you go for the extra blanket - I don't like it when people sit around in a heated room in their t-shirt when it's cold outside, just put some more clothes on and turn the damn heater off!

Have you thought about changing your light globes? Compact fluorescent globes cost about 5 times as much as normal light globes but they last 6-10 times as long. Also, a 14 watt fluorescent globe produces the same amount of light as a 60 watt normal light globe (90% of the energy used in normal globes produces heat - notice that you can't touch a light globe when it's been on for a while). I guarantee that it will save you a substantial amount of money in the long run, and it's better for the environment!

Aug 8, 2003
^^
yeah actually i have, i kno they cost a lil bit more but they last longer..but im in the process of movin atm.. where do they sell em?

Mar 9, 2005
Not sure about the states - any good home improvement store should sell them, even the local supermarket should have a few. Buy them in the two-packs and three-packs, they work out cheaper (obviously).

I recently heard that Wal-Mart is putting 500 million dollars a year into research into sustainability (decreasing fuel consumption and energy costs, increasing the biodegradative properties of packaging etc). Also, Richard Branson said earlier today that he was going to be spending $3 billion dollars over the next 10 years (100% of profit from his transport ventures, including planes and trains) to help combat global warming. The big guns are starting to show support, a new age is dawning! (sounds cheesy, but it's true).

Jul 9, 2005
I live in Santa Cruz Co., so I actually enjoy doing beach clean-ups. Its amazing how many cig butts you'll find in just 10 minutes. Anyway, I never litter, always recycle.... shit Ill have to look into compact flourescent bulbs though.

Aug 3, 2005
record breaking numbers of people die during the summer because of record breaking heat (120 f) and people still think "terrorism" is more of a threat than global warming. its mind boggling.

Dec 25, 2003
NavThaShah said:
record breaking numbers of people die during the summer because of record breaking heat (120 f) and people still think "terrorism" is more of a threat than global warming. its mind boggling.
You know, they could come up with some sort of "world destruction manipulation machine" that would change all the US media outlets into puppet drones repeating the same takes on issues whose reality is routinely ignored, addict the American people to easy, microwaved 30 second news clips that slant their views, convince the largest country in the world that military domination will bring world peace, and write a blank check for large corporations to wreak havoc on indigenous land and peoples. That would be far more threatening than terrorism.

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
I AIN'T NO TYPE OF TREE-HUgKER, BUT I AM FOR CONSERVIN' ENERgY EVA SINCE I WAS A KID. IT IRKS TO SEE A LIgHT ON WHEN IT'S NOT BEIN' USED, OR WHEN DUMBFUKS JUST WATER AND IT'S RAININ'. I gOT THIS BITCH THAT gETS COLD EASILY AND HER DUMB-ASS ALWAYS WANTS TO PUT THE HEATER ON FULL BLAST JUST CAUSE SHE gETS THESE CHILLI-WILLI PANIC ATTAKS AND MY ASS SWEATIN' LIKE A PIg. I TELL HER TO "JUST PUT ON A SWEAT SUIT AND gET UNDA SOME BLANKETS, COLD-I-LOKS.
BUT ONE THANg THEY DO IN MEXICO(OR ATLEAST ADVICE ON T.V), SINCE WATER IS SCARCE, IS TO PUT A TWO LITER BOTTLE FULL OF WATER IN THE TOILET, THAT WAY IT DOESN'T USE THAT MUCH WATER.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Recycle, no running or leaking water,cut the lights out, extra comforters in the winter, etc. Also, I HATE spraying pesticides around my spot. I release my "brood" to the outside and I don't want them dying off because of the pesticides. Will I spray for ants in the crib? Yep. Flies? Yep. However I limit what goes on outside.

Mar 9, 2005
WHITE DEVIL said:
Hutch, we all basically agree on the envrionment. It's really a foregone conclusion around here.
BaSICCally said:
exactly, there isnt much to discuss.
That's news to me. I wasn't aware of any universal consensus on this forum regarding the environment and global warming. I know it's very hard not to know of the impact we're having on this world, but that doesn't specify what extent your knowledge extends or what you are personally doing to help the environment.

Beach cleanups is an excellent way to get involved, as is tree planting and other native re-forestation projects. Pesticides are also evil - studies have shown that plants have a naturally higher tolerance to insect pests when they are grown in a thriving system (lots of different plants living together). They do very poorly together when grown in a monoculture, which is normal practice in agriculture these days.

If a power company in your area were to establish a 'green energy' system, whereby 100% of all energy attained was from renewable sources (mainly solar and wind), but they charged a 10-15% premium, would anyone here be willing to pay for it?