the end-the doors
song of the wind-santana
shout-Tears For Fears
smile-scarface feat 2pac
until the end Of Time-2pac
over the edge-l.a. guns
don't cry/november rain-guns n roses
iris-goo goo dolls
people get ready-jeff beck feat rod stewart
ocean/sunday morning-velvet underground
headed for a heartbreak-winger
LONDON (AFP) – Frank Sinatra's "My Way" is the most popular song played at funeral services, but other more arresting death-bed choices were revealed in a poll published in Britain Thursday.
Australian rockers AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" has stormed into the funereal charts along with Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust," while Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" has a new lease of life after its recent success on a talent show.
More traditionally, hymns including "The Lord Is My Shepherd" and "All Things Bright And Beautiful" are among music chosen by people to accompany their final journey.
For classical music fans, Schubert's "Ave Maria," Puccini's "Nessun Dorma" and Bach's "Air On A G String" are among the most chosen pieces to comfort their loved ones as they pay final farewells.
Television and radio music also features on the burial playlist: theme tunes from popular programmes like "Top Gear", "The Benny Hill Show" and even the Radio Four Shipping Forecast music, which many fall asleep to at night.
"As more people choose non-religious funerals, so they incline towards contemporary songs with which they closely identify," said Lorinda Sheasby of the funeral company which commissioned the survey.
While hymns and classics may have been traditional favourites, pop songs now account for more than half of the music chosen as people's final soundtrack, according to the poll of over 30,000 funerals.
Here are some of the top pieces of music chosen, according to the poll commissioned by Co-operative Funeralcare.
- Top 5 popular songs:
1. "My Way" - Frank Sinatra/Shirley Bassey.
2. "Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler/Celine Dion.
3. "Time To Say Goodbye" - Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli.
4. "Angels" - Robbie Williams.
5. "Over The Rainbow" - Eva Cassidy.
- Top 5 hymns:
1. "The Lord Is My Shepherd".
2. "Abide With Me".
3. "All Things Bright And Beautiful".
4. "Old Rugged Cross".
5. "Amazing Grace".
- Top 5 classical pieces:
1. "Nimrod" from "Enigma Variations" - Elgar.
2. "Pie Jesu" from "Requiem" - Faure.
3. "Ave Maria" - Schubert.
4. "Nessun Dorma" - Puccini.
5. "Canon in D Major" - Pachelbel.
- Other chart movers (no rankings):
- "Hallelujah" covered by talent show winner Alexandra Burke.