what plugin/vst do i use to give the drums more "punch"??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 2, 2002
sorry if this is a pretty basic question, but i'd like to know how i can add more "punch" to the drums. Right now im using the 808 kicks (any suggestions for some better ones?) and they are very "round" and digital sounding to me. I'd like to make them more raw and have more punch. Is it possible for me to achieve this using VST's? or do i simply just need a different sample to use? Can you recomend any of the WAVES plugins if u AM able to do this.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
sorry if this is a pretty basic question, but i'd like to know how i can add more "punch" to the drums.

compression and eq work for me.

Right now im using the 808 kicks (any suggestions for some better ones?)

I don't know what your asking. Suggestions on how to make better 808's or suggestions on where to get better 808's. Big difference.

Have you ever tried using a sine bass and playing with the attack/decay/release?

and they are very "round"

By round do you mean you can't hear the initial hit/attack of the 808?

and digital sounding to me

Please explain your statement.

I'd like to make them more raw and have more punch.

I don't know what you mean by more raw (do you mean dirty sounding) but I know what you mean by punch. Use compression and eq.

Is it possible for me to achieve this using VST's?

Possibly. Do you know how to properly eq and compress?

or do i simply just need a different sample to use?

Possibly I haven't heard your kick yet.

Can you recomend any of the WAVES plugins if u AM able to do this.

C4 or Rcompressor.

vague questions get vague answers....

May 10, 2004
@heresy and insane...what are some of the settings(ratio,threshhold,etc.) you use on the drums when compressing and eqing? If those are your own recipe of studio secrets then sorry for asken but if you don't mind sharing that info...by all means share it....