What output do you connect a mic preamp to on a computer?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

MFOH

Sicc OG
Aug 9, 2006
If you had a mic, going into a preamp, and want to pick up your vocals over adobe and such - what does the preamp connect to on a computer?

Do you need a adapter that goes from 1/4 inch to the normal mic line in?

Apr 25, 2002
you need a new soundcard...if you're going from 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch on your soundcard that's no bueno

it should go to a LINE IN on your computer...but i suggest if you don't have the funds for a good sound card...at least hop on one of those M-Audio Mobile Pre's USB soundcards, so at least you're using a 1/4inch input(which will be balanced) or else you're loosing a lot in the Audio to Digital conversion

MFOH

Sicc OG
Aug 9, 2006
you need a new soundcard...if you're going from 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch on your soundcard that's no bueno

it should go to a LINE IN on your computer...but i suggest if you don't have the funds for a good sound card...at least hop on one of those M-Audio Mobile Pre's USB soundcards, so at least you're using a 1/4inch input(which will be balanced) or else you're loosing a lot in the Audio to Digital conversion
Thanks bro that makes sense you would lose quality doing that, this M Audio USB thing sounds more better for a start and seems hands on. Do you happen to have a link to this one? Ive seen a couple diff ones

MFOH

Sicc OG
Aug 9, 2006
right on one thing orr 2, if i get the m audio mobile pre could i use adobe or any other software with it? (it wont make me use the one bundled with it will it )

also this will allow to hear your vocals over headphones while recording right, using the headphone jack?

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
I've had a Mobile Pre (now using the Fast Track Pro) and it was pretty decent for starting out. But if you have this (or any other M-Audio interface), you won't need a mic pre-amp; it's equipted with 2 XLR inputs with Phantom Power, so you can run your mic directly into the Mobile Pre.

But to answer you last questions. You can use any software with this (Adobe Audition, Cubase, SONAR, Pro Tools M-Powered, etc.). And yes, you can monitor the audio through headphones out speakers/monitor (through the 1/4" outputs).

MFOH

Sicc OG
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks fam thats what i was thinking seems good from reviews for a start just ordered it see how that goes

What software would you recommend to work best with it?

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
With both the Mobile Pre or Fast Track Pro (not sure which one you were getting) you can run Pro Tools M-Powered or anything else. If you're not gonna go the Pro Tools route, I'd go with Cubase or SONAR, depending on your budget.

MFOH

Sicc OG
Aug 9, 2006
i got the MobilePre it came with a pro tools demo cd ill try that for now. i just got it the other day and im trying to test it out with just a cheap 1/8" mic until i get a better xlr one maybe next week,

but when i plug it into the only 1/8" input on channel 2 and try to record over adobe audition (havent tried the pro tools demo ) it is only picking me up on one side?? Is there something I need to do so that way it picks me up through both channels? i can only hear myself through one ear on headphones and its only recording on one side to

Kavie

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
A mic is mono. You're recording on a stereo track. I'm not too familiar with Adobe Audition, but record your vocals on a mono track instead of a stereo track. This is gonna be the same for all applications; Audition, Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar, etc.

MFOH

Sicc OG
Aug 9, 2006
im having a little trouble when recording in mono the vocals arent really being picked up loud, i took a snap shot im trying to record on track 1 should mono be on line in 1 or 2?

and for track 2 where i got a beat loaded up, what should it be on stereo? or mono line 1 or 2??

maybe i'm having trouble because my settings on the mobilepre, like latency or the record levels? (sorry for all the questions im just trying to get the basics down, if i cant get it working ill probably just end up selling it )

May 1, 2003
im having a little trouble when recording in mono the vocals arent really being picked up loud, i took a snap shot im trying to record on track 1 should mono be on line in 1 or 2?

and for track 2 where i got a beat loaded up, what should it be on stereo? or mono line 1 or 2??

maybe i'm having trouble because my settings on the mobilepre, like latency or the record levels? (sorry for all the questions im just trying to get the basics down, if i cant get it working ill probably just end up selling it )

Check to make sure you have the mic plugged into an actual MONO input. ON a couple of my devices , I have Stereo inputs....with the L(left input) designated to MONO. Also, you already have the beat loaded up. If it was recorded in stereo as it is...it will output in stereo no matter what you have it's tracks inputs set to. Just make sure you have the correct OUTS selected.