What Jazz are you listening to?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 6, 2005
I've been bumpin' Gene Ammons as of late... Freddie Hubbard's 'First Light' is always on deck... And Yusef Lateef (he's one of my favs)...

Jun 24, 2006
Man, how could I forget On the Corner...? Question though... You consider that a "Jazz" album or a "Fusion" record...?
I personally do consider it jazz. But I don't hold to the traditional standings of what jazz is like say Wynton Marsalis. I do understand how it can be consider a fusion album and have no issue with people who call it that, but I feel it is so deeply rooted in jazz and an expansion on what he did with In A Silent Way and then Bitches Brew that it is the evolution of that. On The Corner is probably my favorite Miles album, I'm hoping to find the complete On The Corner Sessions for a reasonable price eventually. The things I love about OTC is the use of space and the underlying rhythm, I can listen to it over and over and never jam the same way.

Oct 6, 2005
I personally do consider it jazz. But I don't hold to the traditional standings of what jazz is like say Wynton Marsalis. I do understand how it can be consider a fusion album and have no issue with people who call it that, but I feel it is so deeply rooted in jazz and an expansion on what he did with In A Silent Way and then Bitches Brew that it is the evolution of that. On The Corner is probably my favorite Miles album, I'm hoping to find the complete On The Corner Sessions for a reasonable price eventually. The things I love about OTC is the use of space and the underlying rhythm, I can listen to it over and over and never jam the same way.
That's funny 'cause In A Silent Way is my favorite Miles album... The only reason I asked the "Fusion" question is 'cause of guys like Stanley Crouch & Wynton Marsalis... They refuse to call OTC a "Jazz" album...

Feb 5, 2006
That's funny 'cause In A Silent Way is my favorite Miles album... The only reason I asked the "Fusion" question is 'cause of guys like Stanley Crouch & Wynton Marsalis... They refuse to call OTC a "Jazz" album...
Miles had a lot to say about those purists especially Wynton in his '89 autobiography. He slammed Wynton Marsalis for talkin bad about his own brother for workin with hip-hop artists and he was mad that they wouldn't consider the music of cats like Bird, Coltrane, Diz, and Louis Armstrong, "classical" music. As if it wasn't good enough or maybe a bit too "black" to earn the same respect as Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart.

Oct 6, 2005
Miles had a lot to say about those purists especially Wynton in his '89 autobiography. He slammed Wynton Marsalis for talkin bad about his own brother for workin with hip-hop artists and he was mad that they wouldn't consider the music of cats like Bird, Coltrane, Diz, and Louis Armstrong, "classical" music. As if it wasn't good enough or maybe a bit too "black" to earn the same respect as Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart.
Yep...! I read Miles bio last year...

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Dana Hall - Into The Light
I picked both these up today

Matthew Halsall - Colour Yes
Aaron Park- Invisible Warrior

I've also been listening to alot of Keith Jarrett.
Can somebody put links up for these albums please. I've been to all kind of sketchy sites trying to track down the albums posted in this thread, couldn't find these though. Thanks in advance.