what is the Formula to Bay Area Rap Success?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

EROC

Sicc OG
Jan 9, 2009
Ok. Im purely going off of emotion right now. Ive been a fan of bay area rap for years now and will always enjoy bay area rap for as long as i live. When i was younger i would only listen to bay area rap and think these local rappers were way better than any other artist out there and that the rest of the world was missing out on this Bay shit! As i am getting older though i have begun to realize that our regional music scene is lacking. NOt lacking in rappers, but lacking in QUALITY material. Because i am from the bay i will always have an interest and liking to Bay Area music, but what about the rest of the USA? I mean dont these rappers realize that there is such a vast market to satisfy beyond the bay area? I almost feel like bay rappers are limiting themselves.

This whole rant is sparked by the recent release of Tear Gas and the anticipation of Bass Rock. To be honest, I was heavily anticipating Jackas new album and expected a masterpiece being one of the frontrunners of this bay area rap game. I guess i should not have put too much on it because after hearing the album, i wasnt really impressed. For a Bay album it was ok 8.5/10 IMO. But as an album that could be a classic in the mainstream, 5/10. Jacka is a good rapper hands down, but at what point is he or any other rapper gonna realize that rapping alone cant get you anywhere especially when the content is about fishscales and clappin all his enemies. lol. I mean cmon, When i say quality i mean QUALITY!!! Content,message, production, promotion,public persona!!! everything! Im talkin "all eyes on me" quality! Classic Shit! Dont settle for your local production team but go and venture out to see what else is out there. It doesnt mean youre not reppin the bay, youre just expanding your horizons. And the features! thats another story. If your gonna be a solo artist concentrate on yourself and not anyone else. Pick and choose your features and dont let other peoples names overwhelm who you are. Basically, dont just settle for your current formula and dont let your name alone be the reason for your popularity because you will only be a local celeb. We need to look outside the box and not just as the bay area.

Like i said these are just thoughts and im opening this topic up for discussion. What is the formula for bay area rap success? What are we doing wrong? I would want nothing more than to see a bay artist SHININ!!! on MTV/BET etc. reppin our soil. Why isnt this happening?

Nov 2, 2002
Either shock the nation the way LA did in the early 90s by talking about killing people or eating babies or terrorism or some shit.
Or, come up with an infectious new sound that is unique to the region that creates a buzz, and then flood the market with a ton of albums that sound like that.

Oct 19, 2004
When i was younger i would only listen to bay area rap and think these local rappers were way better than any other artist out there and that the rest of the world was missing out on this Bay shit! As i am getting older though i have begun to realize that our regional music scene is lacking. NOT lacking in rappers, but lacking in QUALITY material. Because i am from the bay i will always have an interest and liking to Bay Area music, but what about the rest of the USA? I mean dont these rappers realize that there is such a vast market to satisfy beyond the bay area? I almost feel like bay rappers are limiting themselves.

When i say quality i mean QUALITY!!! Content,message, production, promotion,public persona!!! everything!

Dont settle for your local production team but go and venture out to see what else is out there. It doesnt mean youre not reppin the bay, youre just expanding your horizons. And the features! thats another story. If your gonna be a solo artist concentrate on yourself and not anyone else. Pick and choose your features and dont let other peoples names overwhelm who you are. Basically, dont just settle for your current formula and dont let your name alone be the reason for your popularity because you will only be a local celeb. We need to look outside the box and not just as the bay area.
This pretty much sums it up right here.

Good music, good business, good resources and a good plan is what all artist need to be successful not just bay artist.

Nov 2, 2002
yea, i would say good music would bring success,...but the bay has been producing tons of good music for the past 20 years with little to no recognition, so there has to be something else to it.

EROC

Sicc OG
Jan 9, 2009
Either theres more to it or the rappers are just not doing shit right!! I swear i should be artist manager! My whole point is this................it seems obvious what we are doing wrong, why arent rappers doing right?? lol

Dec 12, 2008
Roseville , Ca.
MAYBE BRANCHING OUT OF CALI? NEW YORK-CORMEGA USED TO SHOW UP IN THA BAY T THAT GO W/PRODIGY......WE NEED ANOTHER 17 REASONS COMP. IT WON'T EVER BE LIKE THAT FIRST ONE..........COME TOGETHER BRANCH OUT .....SUM OUR SHIT STINKS TOO
WHAT WOULD NAS SAY ABOUT D-LO NO HO......NOT MUCH AND HATE HIM OR NOT HE SELLZ BIG.......

Jan 31, 2008
that 17 reasons went so hard

It seems like Bay Area Rappers used to kick it with each other all the time back in the day,....... now they only come together on a music / business basis

and when they were kickin it together the music / and Bay Rap Atmosphere was way better

everybody gotta have funk with somebody and some more shit

Maybe Thats The KEY : Come Together for real foreal , and bring other people to US (The BAY) and Not just Take US To Them (H-Town, ATL, NYC, Fla. , Etc.) The Bay needs to do something creative UNIFICATION IS A good Start, Go Hard In The Paint

Nov 2, 2002
it would be hard to have another 17 reasons comp because, the reason that comp was so good was that a lot of the people on there were unknowns, and it was like "oh shit, whos this guy? hes dope!" and it produced some excitement.
Nowadays, due to online marketing, everyone knows who everybody is and you wont get that effect again.

EROC

Sicc OG
Jan 9, 2009
THese bay rappers just need to be about their business!!! Make connections and dont settle for shit that makes them look cheap like low budget videos and weak beats. It takes money to make money...........most of the time. I also believe its time to be more original more anything else. Dont fall victim to these D-boy/killer raps that can only get you so far. Not saying i dont like that stuff cause i do. Im just saying that to reach a wider scope of listeners the content "might" have to be watered down a bit. NOt watered down to the point where the music is soft, but in a way where its not just saying how many bricks are getting shipped in or how many bodies the dirty bird has. lol

Aug 7, 2006
Just branch out and stay in your lane, that is what i think. also when it comes to more than 5 features on an album I am koo off of listenin because i view it more of a mixtape ya know. right now the music is changing, you need to have more of a message in your music since the common listener is a little more wiser now. Especially with the whole Obama as president and the recession. you talkin about ballin? aint know one going to feel you because we are in a fucked up recession.

Dec 29, 2008
i think these threads have been done to death. this type of thread always pops up one way or another every so often worded slightly different. i ain't about to sit here typing paragraphs describing what needs to be done. i'll just say some of the best rappers from the Bay ain't getting the right push. With a few exceptions we don't have camps strong enough (financially and structurally) to make a big impact in the game on a nationwide scale. And also with a few exceptions a lot of the content in music out here is played out.

Sep 10, 2002
To me, rappers ARE tryna reach out to a wider audience and it fucks shit up wit they REAL fans. Niggas do need to make more well rounded shit tho and what i mean is they gotta make more real tracks. That's what drew me to westcoast shit, they talked about they everday lives, whether it be drivin somewhere or shootin a nigga up. Also, THE BEATS GOTTA CHANGE. The producers SUCK now. Even the legends. Do what made u famous people! The fans gotta stop accepting bullshit too.

Dec 19, 2006
www.myspace.com
www.itunes.com/evenodds

EVENODDS "Respect The Hustle 3" dropped today digitally! Go check the snippets.. There goes ya quality, message, and content.

But to answer ur question: what does it take? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... PERIOD! With our key players (non-rappers) who make decisions out here, thats how u get their attention pimp..

Respect The Hustle 3 Itunes NOW! Go!!!!

Feb 17, 2004
THE BAY AND THE REST OF THE WEST COAST RAPPERS HAVE TO GET OUR FANS BACK! AND EVERYBODY AINT A RAPPER FRUITY LOOPS AND A BEDROOM/GARAGE SONG DONT PUT YOU IN THE GAME TO MANY RAPPERS NO MORE FANS LEFT ! THINGS WE WILL BE DISCUSSING DURING THE AWARDS SHOW AND CONVENTION!

RADIO- TAKING IT BACK BOYCOTT ALL THE WEST COAST STATIONS IF THEY DONT START PLAYING QUALITY WEST COAST MUSIC IF THEY ARENT GOING TO PLAY OUR MUSIC IN OUR REGION THEN MOVE YOUR STATION NO LISTNERS = NO AD SELLS.....BOYCOTT ALL STATIONS AT THE SAME TIME!

PRODUCT- MAKE QUALITY MUSIC AND PRESS IT UP GET IT MASTERED WITH QUALITY GRAPHICS SPEND MONEY ON YOUR PROJECTS NOBODY WANT THIER EARS BLEEDING BECAUSE YOU DIDNT MASTER OR GET A PROFESSIONAL MIX ON YOUR CD!

MIXTAPES- IF YOUR GOING TO DO ONE MASTER IT EVEN THOUGH ITS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY IF YOUR A KNOWN ARTISTS ITS GREAT FOR NEWBEES FOR EXPOSER MINUS ALL THE YELLING THAT MOST DJ'S DO TO RUIN THE SONGS

PLAN OUT YOUR CAREER!- LAWYER-MANAGER-PROMOTER-IMAGE-EXECUTIVE PRODUCER IE THE MONEY MAN! SILENT PARTNERS ARE THE BEST BUT HARD TO FIND!

FREE SHOWS ANY AND EVERY OPPURTUNITY YOU GET BUT THEY ONLY MAKE MORE SENSE IF YOU HAVE PRODUCT TO SALE ONCE YOU GET OFF STAGE!

THE REST OF THE INFORMATION WILL BE DICUSS AT THE AWARDS SHOW IN JULY AND VARIOUS OTHER TOPICS RELATED TO WEST COAST HIP HOP HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

support the west coast hip hop awards 2009 ! the unification www.westcoasthiphopawards.com
www.myspace.com/westcoasthiphopawards
FOR ALL RED CARPET INFO AND VIP PASSES FOR ALL SPONSORS AND SHOWS,HOSTS THIS GALA EVENT WILL BE MAKING HISTORY JULY 18TH 2009 AT THE JACKSON ARMOURY PORTLAND OREGON.PLEASE SEND ALL CONTACT INFORMATION FOR PRESS RELEASE INFORMATION AND ALL CONTACTS FOR PRESS PASSES ONLY ! ALL OVER SEAS COMPANIES PLEASE SEND PRESS KITS TO THE ADDRESSES BELOW THANKS EVERONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT TO MAKE THIS THE BIGGEST AND BEST WEST COAST HIP HOP HONORS AWARD SHOW IN HISTORY SEE YOU THERE RESERVE YOUR SPACE NOW TICKETS WILL GO FAST!

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.myspace.com/westcoasthiphopawards
www.westcoasthiphopawards.com
[email protected]
[email protected]
206-312-2872 voting voicemail
503-283-7665 fax