What is the biggest problem with local KC rap ???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DonBellygusa

5150 Mental Productions
Aug 28, 2002
LockNLoadRecords.com
Thought it would be interesting to get some feedback on the state of local rap. Hit it from all angles. There are many producers,artists and small label who post here and we can use this info to better touch our audience. So tell us what you want..... from styles of beats,shows, whatever. holla

Oct 24, 2002
www.beekc.com
hard to say. alot of people are just wack. alot of people dont have the backing. Poor quality.

Alot of deciding factors but there are SO many talented rappers.

also cant for get about this.

" you niggas in my town, half yall sound the same"-hobotone
aslo
"most of yall copy young rich and tech n9ne"-hobotone

i think that was it i forgot.

5150 should know about that

Aug 1, 2002
userwww.sfsu.edu
Fools that try to rap all crazy in fast, but don't have the gift (i.e. e40 and techn9ne) are messin things up. There is nothing wrong with keepin it smooth and, as Short says, "To the beat." Also, after concentrating on an abundance of KC rap at one time (a patna on here sent me hella Cds) I noticed that a majority of it sounded hella dark and depressing. The reason why Rich the Factor is hecka raw is because his delivery makes the listiner smile and enjoy feelin his game along with whatever game the lisener is into at the moment (flossin, or whatever). In addition, the production needs to have more funk. Anyone can pick up a Triton keyboard, or whatever, and make a simple beat , but only producers with musical talent can make you say, "Dammmmn, that is funky, and make the listiner want to press rewind." Also, the funky production should be consistent. I went through Veteran Click, Hobo Tone, Paul Mussan, and others finding inconsistencies with good production. Last, but not least, QUIT PUTTIN LUNI COLEON ON TRACKS! HE IS HELLA ANOYIN', TRYIN TA YELL AND WHAT NOT. Knowin damn well that he use to flow tighter when he was Lunnasic, not tryin to perpetrate some anger problem. Ain't nobody want to ride around bein yelled at by some mark. And yet, he appears on virtually every recent KC album.

Jul 7, 2002
Here's my thoughts.......

I think the article in Murder Dog sums up why nobody has succeded in KC except for Tech. Everybody is too worried about keeping it on the streets and talking down on Tech.

Step 1. Make music that can get played on the radio or quit bithcing about the radio stations hating.

Step 2. We got the point, you all sell crack...lets get more creative with the next song.

Step 3. Mob beats are cool, but last time I checked they didn't get much play in the club....make some shit that can bump in the clubs.

Step 4. Quit bitching about how hard it is to make it and do something proactive....like leaving the metro area to promote.

In the words of Tech..."Knowledge is power baby"

Grim

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.grim64131.freeservers.com
RADIO STATIONS.......no promotion, they wont play local shit for nothing. Other "big" cities usually have stations that play music.....go to Houston...they play the shit outta local music on their stations....we need to at least get an underground show for a few hours that plays local music at a decent hour of the night once a week or something....I know there is one but its at like 3 in the morning.....they need some prime time promotion time

Feb 3, 2003
I agree with Heat and Grim a lot. Local support here is TERRIBLE. To many politics in KC to get on the radio. Then you have to many local rapers trying to be like somebody that is in the limelight now, or has been. Different sounds in KC is what is going to make KC. Tech is a huge example. Nothing before has ever been out like Tech thru Midwest. Mainstream was paved by Nelly, and now Trajik is throwing down. Kutt will bring a different menu to the table. Lejo is bringing some different shit. I am luvin Skitzo, Nova, 10, and them. They have a lot of energy. What makes your shit is the way you promote. Promotion is huge, and marketing as well.

Nov 14, 2002
This is cut from the Strange Music forum...
• I figured out why Tech and Midwest artists get a following in the midwest, and people on the east are like... "Huh?"

I've played Tech for about a million people and the first thing out of every one of their mouths is what.... Go ahead guess.

"This guy is fast"

When me and my friend heard Tech for the first time we looked at eachother and were just like "This shit is the bomb"... The difference between those two reactions is that me and my friend had heard fast shit before so we weren't that amazed at the speed, but the style was sick! Everyone around here just hears "ratarataratarataratarataratarataratarata" and can't even for a second try and figure out what tech is sayin, and that applies for most of the fast midwest ish.... Kats around here listen to DMX, Biggie and shit. Real laid back. We're all fast paced around here and kick it with laid back shit, you guys seem to do the exact opposite. Even when I try to explain that it's not really that fast, it's just got a machine gun "pop" to it, they're still like "This mothafucka is muthafuckin' FAST!"•

•I only bring this up because of the talk of "Why doesn't this person blow" or "Why isn't this person on the radio here or there" type of shit. Judging by interviews and things I been hearin' here and there, seems like you KC kats just bitch about bein' KC kats, but you guys'll be KC kats for the rest of your lives because that's all you wanna be. I'm not bein' a dick but all these artists are out there just yellin "KCMO!" every chance they get, then wonder why they're all stuck in KC. Gaining a local crowd is one thing, but gaining a local crowd and then clingin' to their nuts while crying about not getting exposure is another.It's like, "Who the fuck is RDV? I dunno, just some kats outta KC". Just an outsiders opinion•• I figured out why Tech and Midwest artists get a following in the midwest, and people on the east are like... "Huh?"

I've played Tech for about a million people and the first thing out of every one of their mouths is what.... Go ahead guess.

"This guy is fast"

When me and my friend heard Tech for the first time we looked at eachother and were just like "This shit is the bomb"... The difference between those two reactions is that me and my friend had heard fast shit before so we weren't that amazed at the speed, but the style was sick! Everyone around here just hears "ratarataratarataratarataratarataratarata" and can't even for a second try and figure out what tech is sayin, and that applies for most of the fast midwest ish.... Kats around here listen to DMX, Biggie and shit. Real laid back. We're all fast paced around here and kick it with laid back shit, you guys seem to do the exact opposite. Even when I try to explain that it's not really that fast, it's just got a machine gun "pop" to it, they're still like "This mothafucka is muthafuckin' FAST!"•

•I only bring this up because of the talk of "Why doesn't this person blow" or "Why isn't this person on the radio here or there" type of shit. Judging by interviews and things I been hearin' here and there, seems like you KC kats just bitch about bein' KC kats, but you guys'll be KC kats for the rest of your lives because that's all you wanna be. I'm not bein' a dick but all these artists are out there just yellin "KCMO!" every chance they get, then wonder why they're all stuck in KC. Gaining a local crowd is one thing, but gaining a local crowd and then clingin' to their nuts while crying about not getting exposure is another.It's like, "Who the fuck is RDV? I dunno, just some kats outta KC". Just an outsiders opinion•

Mar 3, 2003
Surprisingly, when I was talking about this subject, everyone said I was hating....Now that there are more reactions similar to mine, its a conversation......I have to agree with alot that was said...Some problems are the rappers and their similar sound, but the biggest problem is the lack of support from radio stations...103 gives no play, unless your from MidWestSide records, and even they don't get that much time.(Thank God.) Other stations like 93.3 and 95.7 give 0%......And then try to play pop stars like Ja-Rule to pass it off that they don't discriminate against rap.....Call up 95 and 93 and request Dead Prez, see what kind of response you get......The best way to get local time is to have people with a little pull here in kc(Tech) talk hell of shit about the stations.....I know they play his stuff, but if he's really about F.T.I. he would do it......Every record label in KC should fax, call, write and email those stations until they start cooperating.......If your a local artist and keep your music radio friendly and apart from the kc rappers that sound alike, you should have the same oppurtunities as folks from NY and Chi.......BTW.......Lets start a petition to get a 4-hour hip-hop show on 103.....They can put it right after the hot 8 at 8........That bullshit JT quick be playin sucks.....Someone remind him hes not a real DJ.

Mar 3, 2003
Surprisingly, when I was talking about this subject, everyone said I was hating....Now that there are more reactions similar to mine, its a conversation......I have to agree with alot that was said...Some problems are the rappers and their similar sound, but the biggest problem is the lack of support from radio stations...103 gives no play, unless your from MidWestSide records, and even they don't get that much time.(Thank God.) Other stations like 93.3 and 95.7 give 0%......And then try to play pop stars like Ja-Rule to pass it off that they don't discriminate against rap.....Call up 95 and 93 and request Dead Prez, see what kind of response you get......The best way to get local time is to have people with a little pull here in kc(Tech) talk hell of shit about the stations.....I know they play his stuff, but if he's really about F.T.I. he would do it......Every record label in KC should fax, call, write and email those stations until they start cooperating.......If your a local artist and keep your music radio friendly and apart from the kc rappers that sound alike, you should have the same oppurtunities as folks from NY and Chi.......BTW.......Lets start a petition to get a 4-hour hip-hop show on 103.....They can put it right after the hot 8 at 8........That bullshit JT quick be playin sucks.....Someone remind him hes not a real DJ.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM

keith...thanks for getting at me...

i hear Don Juan got a spot on 103 for local artist......is there any truth to that...??/ anyway.....according to the murder dog special on KC.....it seems that some of the Bigger names have a problem with a "white" crowd.....that there will set them back from ever doing anything......

50cent.......is a prime example of how to put "street" and "mainstream" together and make it happen....
and if you listen to his album the only mainstream shit is..."in the club" and "21questions".....and to me those 2 joints are not very mainstream.....just Club friendly......

Kc is a slept on city....everyone is hungry right now for shit to happen.....including me...but to many people want to be "rappers" and "producers".....good!! but there are markets that have not been hit.....nough said...

Aug 8, 2002
www.techn9nehq.com
People need to stop wasting their time bitching about 93.3 and 95.7 playing non-mainstream shit. They are Top 40 format stations. They have little or no control over what their playlist is.

So calling them and requesting Dead Prez is a waste of time. Thats like calling up a country station and asking them to play Metallica. People need to understand how the radio industry works before they try to attack them.

Now to the topic at hand......

KC is the most fucked up market i've ever seen. I've never seen another place that has so many white kids into the underground rap that is here in KC. Contrary to what Vell Bakardy and the RDVs think.....KC artists have Tech to thank for that. His white fan base has opened new avenues for other artists here such as.....The Veteran Click, RDVs, Lejo, Skatter & Snug, BG Bulletwound, Vertigo......et cetra et cetra. Kutt, BG and Skatter and Snug are a great example. They have all been doing shit in KC for a minute, but now that they are down with Tech and have him on his shit and what not.....all of a sudden people are interested. Call them clones, carbon copys or whatever, but they are bringing in some tight shit and they are a big part of the little group of artists who are really trying to do big things in KC. I hope for the best and would like to see all these artists who are out there right now succeed, but its looking like a big cycle.....rappers and groups rise and fall and then just fall out of the picture completely.

Nick

Nov 14, 2002
One thing I know is, there is absolutely NO market for "underground" rap in NY. I'm sure it's around somewhere, but I've been livin' here all my life and the only "underground" rap I hear comes out of the Midwest and Bay Areas.

My friend dissapears to New Mexico all the time and when he comes back (three years later) he's always got some kick ass cd's with him.

SPM, Jedi Minds, Yuk... I don't like all of it but it's good to hear something different now and then. Also, you guys are always talkin' about how local stations don't play local rap, but I can tell you flat out that NO radio stations really play local ANYTHING, unless it's a rock track or you're listening to college stations. Some of you kats must go to college out there... Find out who runs the hip-hop shows and throw cd's at them. If there aren't any, start one. They're always MORE than happy to play what you want and would DIE for interviews. Plus it hits a target demo, the kats who are lookin' for new shit.

Nov 14, 2002
Except for 50 cent, everyone else around here is just an overnight success. Ja went from handin' out flyers for DMX to puttin' out his own album outta nowhere. And I just flat out don't count 50 as local... Not sure why, maybe it has something to do witht the people he's associated with.

Someone find me a site that reps the east coast that's even remotely like the siccness, and I'll say there's an underground rap scene in NY. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I could never find one.