What is A-Wax's standing in Bay Area Rap?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
In terms of where does his catalog stack up, I think he is a Bay Area legend. Top 10 to ever come out the Bay. Dude has some classic material out there.

He is probably at the end of his career and its not likely he puts out another Pullin Strings type album. But I just wondered where everyone thought he stood in the history of Bay Area rap.

dalycity650

Barlito's Way
Feb 8, 2006
I agree with your post and personally I feel he’s a bay legend although he’ll never receive the same credit or recognition as the Mob Figaz. I grew up on Wax’s music (I’ve literally been bumping his shit since savage timez released in 01) and I used to stay seeing his posters and stickers all over Pittsburg/Antioch. I feel that his earlier production and sound was very similar to the Jacka (he had a lot of work produced by Rob Lo), his lyrics are always on point and I’ve appreciated how he’s altered his rapping style- I.e. savage timez, 65 Gz, conceptz and Contradictionz, Thug deluxe etc. Not to mention his beats were usually on point as well. It’s funny how so many niggaz were riding the Husalah wave at the time and overlooked A-wax. I’m a fan of Husalah but his catalog is no where in comparison to A-wax.

May 2, 2018
Awax got a huge catalog he put out more albums than most. He got blackballed over the whole beefing with husalah and ap9 thing because more people love mob figaz. It's the same way lavish d got blackballed by mozzy fans who arent even from sac. They hear mozzy say fuck lav and they automatically hate lav without even knowing the guy or hearing his music. Awax is a dope rapper and I like almost every single album up until rxlord now he completely on some trap music sound and that jus aint my cup of tea. But to each his own

dalycity650

Barlito's Way
Feb 8, 2006
Damn I guess we (ppl that don't listen to his music) hella missed out on a "legend" then.....You have a right to feel whatever type of way you want tho
That’s why you should hear him out imo. Start with his old shit and move up. You’ll see what I mean, that his sound is similar to old mob figaz

Feb 1, 2018
Wax would not be in my top 10 personally, but one thing I'd say that differentiates him as an artist is that he's put out so much material over the years. You got a guy like Young Ed for example who dropped an album with some of the greatest production I've heard with Time To Stack, but then you wonder what happened to dude after the release. Wax has stuck around and he worked with one of personal favorites, Woodie (RIP) so I'll give Wax credit. Maybe not my favorite to listen to but lots of respect for dude.

Apr 25, 2002
Shit I personally dont even really like his early stuff like Savage Times or 65 Gz.........to me, his stuff after that really took off.

My favorite Wax work is The Rat Trap (vol 2) - Unconditional Thug Pre-Album mixtape. Got about 33 tracks on there and Wax is at his prime!

Rat Poison (vol 1 before Rat Trap) was him going at Hus and the Figaz hella hard. Both vol 1 and vol 2 need to be listened to!

Junior High to the Pen - the mixtape. That thing was pure uncut dope. The mixtape, then the albums (Vol 1 and Vol 2) are also dope.

Another slapper mixtape was F. Sucka and NFES vol 1.

The mixtapes might be harder to find cause they werent official albums - but I enjoyed those projects the most.

And thats the thing....all the shit I talked about above arent even his real albums. Straight mixtapes.

Pullin Srings is probably his best offical album IMO. That shit is pure crack.

He just has so much material out there. But I think his prime was from like 2005-2009.

You cant say hes whack. Its impossible. Too much quality shit out there.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2002
A-wax can definitely get an honorable mention as one of the greats in Bay Area rap.

Bay Area rap is a RICH fuckin legacy. For the aged individual it’s going to be hard to put a-wax over any of the vets that built the sound —regardless of their comparitive lack of longevity. (Like BIG CHUNK said).