What happened to the actual hip-hop thread??? All I see is mainstream rappers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2006
Yeah there's not much of authentic hip hop around. Shit, gotta post some videos to bring it back. Add some videos if you agree

[video=youtube;14GoLqtP4ZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GoLqtP4ZY[/video]

[video=youtube;MXCHUAUcw20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCHUAUcw20&ob=av2e[/video]

Apr 25, 2002
aint no authentic hip hop. Sugarhill Gang and Fatback put the first 2 rap records out. the former was manufactured, the latter was a funk band. after that, hip hop recordings was just raps over over jacked samples (like sugarhill gang) and using equipment made for electro music, with the occasional live instrument. hip hops the loosest genre in music. the only thing keepin it all together is rhymes.

but none of its authentic. it cant be.

Feb 7, 2006
if their is no authentic hip hop then hip hop doesn't exist. if you rap on some shit its hip hop music, and there are artists post funk/ electro instrumentation in hip hop that have made and formed hip hop production. Now the debate should be wheter you should call rap music that talks about the other elements and embodies the vibe of the hip hop parties in 70's south bronx hip hop, as opposed to rap music that talks about gangster culture, materialism and other shit.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
aint no authentic hip hop. Sugarhill Gang and Fatback put the first 2 rap records out. the former was manufactured, the latter was a funk band. after that, hip hop recordings was just raps over over jacked samples (like sugarhill gang) and using equipment made for electro music, with the occasional live instrument. hip hops the loosest genre in music. the only thing keepin it all together is rhymes.

but none of its authentic. it cant be.
if their is no authentic hip hop then hip hop doesn't exist. if you rap on some shit its hip hop music, and there are artists post funk/ electro instrumentation in hip hop that have made and formed hip hop production. Now the debate should be wheter you should call rap music that talks about the other elements and embodies the vibe of the hip hop parties in 70's south bronx hip hop, as opposed to rap music that talks about gangster culture, materialism and other shit.
yup, hip hop gets posted all day in this forum, go fill your backpack with explosives and jump in a bonfire

Apr 25, 2002
naw that was towards the purists. hip hop exists, musically. but what is it? rhymes over music. thats all. there will always be cats sayin whats real, whats authentic, whats not real hip hop. straight up. rhymin over a beat is hip hop. people hate all of this new shit. but i say let hip hop flow. its gonna be what you want it to be when you create it. and there will always be dudes sayin "thats not hip hop".

May 21, 2006
There's commercialized hip-hop that basically promotes material/meaningless songs/catchy phrases/ABC's lyrics you hear through the radio & gets put out by the Clear Channel, who have bought out 1,240 radio stations in 2005, which is 31 times the amount of the maximum amount a company was allowed to own in 1996 due to the Telecommuncations Act(only allowed a co. to own a max of 40 stations). And then there is more real hip-hop that has artists with meanings behind there words, maybe a story to tell, with an influence of art. So yeah that is the difference between real & mainstream/product of the system music. that's just some knowledge

& Oro kick rocks child

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
Al I hope you know this swag shit was highly influenced by backpack shit

90's babies copy everything from the era's before them. From the clothes, to the hair, and even the music. They think it's original but obviously don't know the history. I know that's the case with every generation, but these younger cats are especially bad about copying styles, and claiming it as something new.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Al I hope you know this swag shit was highly influenced by backpack shit
Yes, what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

Rap started with fools rhyming over disco tracks, is that sound what defines it? No, just like oldie samples or loops don't. Quit trying to stifle & pigeonhold the genre. Gucci is hip hop just as much as Shabazz Palaces & Death Grips are. Everything inbetween as well.

Dec 2, 2011
Mhu thulan
illuminatiguy.tumblr.com
funny that few of most selling rappers right now raps about "real shit" and are somewhat lyrical, like j.cole sold gold with his debut and people says he the new nas. you can say whatever you like about kanye, but he got his lyrical side and you can hear that in his albums, also he sells records and is different. jigga is jigga. lupe got 3 gold albums. guys like black hippies, mr. muthafuckin exquire and a$ap rocky are signed to majors.

May 21, 2006
funny that few of most selling rappers right now raps about "real shit" and are somewhat lyrical, like j.cole sold gold with his debut and people says he the new nas. you can say whatever you like about kanye, but he got his lyrical side and you can hear that in his albums, also he sells records and is different. jigga is jigga. lupe got 3 gold albums. guys like black hippies, mr. muthafuckin exquire and a$ap rocky are signed to majors.
First off, I'm not even talking about real hip-hop getting on the radio or anything like that, I was pointing out the difference between commercialized music & more authentic music b/c someone had claimed that there's no such thing as authentic hip-hop(post above). But what I was bringing up was that there are less lyrical/artsy music being posted in the Hip Hop Forum(might as well be a 'mainstream/trendy hip-hop' forum instead of 'hip-hop forum') of this website. But if you do want to brag about the artists that have made it, then let's see, J.Cole is no where near Nas but he does have some decent lyrics which I'll agree. Kanye is meant to be a producer rather than a rapper at least the last few years. Jigga has been jocked so hard it's rediculous, dude's only major respective aspect is his consistency of coming out w/ albums year in year out, but other than that he's overrated. Lupe is the man, but he also is unhappy with his record label(Atlantic Records), who have not only changed his hooks about 60 times, but also complained about his lyrics being too complex(too lyrical/not dumbed down enough). But then again I lost hope in the bought out radios & don't really worry much about the big name radios.

Feb 7, 2006
Yes, what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

Rap started with fools rhyming over disco tracks, is that sound what defines it? No, just like oldie samples or loops don't. Quit trying to stifle & pigeonhold the genre. Gucci is hip hop just as much as Shabazz Palaces & Death Grips are. Everything inbetween as well.
I'm not pigeonholing shit you falling into the BS by being on some anti backpack shit, rap is rap is hip hop. I've always said that.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Only the first question was directed at you. I'm only anti backpack culture, that rap elitist shit irks me. Some fuckboy shit imo. I actually listen to that rapping ass rap from time to time but the main fanbase is almost as bad as odd future fans in being ignorant & annoying.