What booths are you spittin in?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mayo

Jul 9, 2003
Just wonderin what you guys are usin for booths? I'm looking for a cheap booth (under 1000), or looking to build my own. What are you guys doin? Thanks

Mal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Mayo said:
Just wonderin what you guys are usin for booths? I'm looking for a cheap booth (under 1000), or looking to build my own. What are you guys doin? Thanks
you cant find a booth under a g. just flip the closet or use no booth for now.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
You can buy a booth for $1200 and $1000 is more than enough depending on how much isolation you need. If you can provide specs of your CURRENT room (the room you want to place the booth in/control room/whatever) I can steer you in the right direction. whatever you build (if you decide to build) *****DONT***** use wood as the walls.

I repeat DONT use wood.

:hgk:

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
Sick Wid It said:
Wood is fine to use but there needs to be two walls with atleast a 4inch hollow space inbetween them. You will want to fill that space with sand.
SAND?...BETWEEN YOUR WALLS...WTF?

Apr 25, 2002
no booth, and i get compliments on the sound quality for every song i do

technique is more important then the room in my opinion
most people have no clue where to be in the mic...how to position the mic...etc

and all it takes is practice...

i think my equip might have something big to do with it as well

the preamp i have is in my opinion one of the hottest you can have for rap recordings...
it goes from clean to warm...with a high pass filter on it...

summit audio 2ba-221
altomusic.com got mine for 480 i think...

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
TAKE MY ADVICE

Get this through your head. WOOD IS *****NOT***** TO BE USED FOR WALL'S. ***ANY*** PERSON WHO SUGGEST WOOD ***NEEDS*** TO SPEAK WITH ACOUSTIC ENGINEERS AND STUDIO BUILDERS. YOU ****DON'T***** WANT A WALL MADE OF WOOD. WHAT YOU *DO* WANT IS A "LEAF" MADE OF DRYWALL (THIS IS THE SAME AS GYPSUM BOARD AND SHEET ROCK). A "LEAF" is ***two***pieces of "MASS". Both pieces should consist of Different materials (if possible) and thickness so they don't attenuate the same frequencies. Wood is NOT a good sound absorbant as it yields a VERY LOW STC rating. If you don't know what stc ratings are hit google and type: STC RATING.

My booth walls consist of 5/8 drywall and 1/2 drywall. The drywall is connected to the studs (i used wood studs instead of metal but you can use metal), I used 2.5 Thermafiber (a certain type of insulation that will *not* be found in home depot, yard birds or OSH) between the airspace (2.5 or 3 will improve the STC rating) and went back over that with another leaf of 5/8 dry wall and 1/2 drywall. If you decide to float the floor use NEOPRENE. BTW thermafiber is the ***best*** insulation you can use.

so basically it should look like this

5/8
1/2

studs

thermafiber

1/2
5/8

I don't know anything about filling walls with sand. I don't know of anyone who has filled their walls with sand. I don't even think that would pass the firecodes and how would you run an electrical box through that?

ONCE AGAIN STAY AWAY FROM WOOD AS YOUR WALLS.

:HGK:

PS GO OVER *ALL CORNERS* (INSIDE AND OUT) WITH CORNER BEADS.

Sicc OG
Dec 2, 2002
YOUNGMOE said:
...technique is more important then the room in my opinion
most people have no clue where to be in the mic...how to position the mic...etc...
can you tell us your opinions of placement for Cardioid Polar Pattern mics... for instance, rode ntk

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
SAND *CAN* BE USED IN WALLS BUT IT'S USUALLY USED FOR WALLS MADE OF CONCRETE AND FLOORS (NOT WOOD). AS IT STANDS YOU WILL GET A BETTER STC RATING WITH THERMAFIBER. YOU SHOULD ALSO USE ******RIGID FIBERGLASS****** INSTEAD OF ACOUSTIC FOAM (FOR THE INSIDE OF THE BOOTH). IT ABSORBS TWICE AS MUCH, COSTS WAY LESS BUT LOOKS UGLY AS HELL. YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT COVERED SO IT WON'T FLY ALL AROUND THE PLACE AND INHALED INTO YOUR LUNGS.

LOOK IT UP ON GOOGLE: RIGID FIBERGLASS

ALSO HIT GOOGLE AND TYPE: USG HAND BOOK

***ANYONE*** LOOKING/WANTING TO CONSTRUCT A BOOTH SHOULD READ THIS BOOK BEFORE THEY START OR WASTE MONEY ON MATERIALS.

BE COOL.

:HGK: