Web design question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 4, 2004
Is there a way to make only certain sections of a page load?

What I mean is, I want the header to stay as is...it has a flash animation and a music player....so to avoid it restarting every time someone clicks a link, I want to find a way to have the body of the site change only, and the header to stay as is.

I wanna do this without using frames or flash, is it possible?

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
its been a while for me. But I would hae used iframes in which you can have someone click a link and data or parts of the page can change all in a predefined "box". You can have more than one as well They can be of any size. You can make borders invisible too, so you don't see ugly ass scroll bars (if coded) or that ugly divider. Here is an example.

http://www.samisite.com/test-csb2nf/id43.htm

Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
Look at Ajax. You can get information like that to place in a container div or whatever tag you like. are you getting the body from database?

you can take a look at jquery to, they got nice ways to work with Ajax, that is getting information without causing postback

But you probarly dont want to do that as a overall solution for your page tho. Put the player in its own frame. Or just use a iframe for the body content.

Dec 4, 2004
I have used iframes before and actually now I remember why I cut them out the equation.

when the page within the iframe is longer than the height of it, it creates a scrollbar and i hate having scrollbars within a page... i guess i will have to limit the sizes of each page and just add a next page link to avoid this.... thanks for the reminder folks.

Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
I have used iframes before and actually now I remember why I cut them out the equation.

when the page within the iframe is longer than the height of it, it creates a scrollbar and i hate having scrollbars within a page... i guess i will have to limit the sizes of each page and just add a next page link to avoid this.... thanks for the reminder folks.
there are ways to manipulate the iframe to the content that is put in it. I used to do that all the time when I started but it's been to long to remember how its done. google it Im sure you gone find ways.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
You can even make the scroll bars disappear and have scroll controlled by say an up and down arrow outside the box wherever using some java script.

Nov 11, 2002
your right, it looks almost the same when using an iframe object. I would use an iframe if it were for a smaller kind of website with no Ecommerce, or community features.

Ajax is just a newer option and it comes with benefits. For example, facebook uses alot of ajax. Notice how the chat application in the bottom right corner stays open with a live chat session even while you switch pages. Ajax is alot more sophisticated, but going forward it's a dope option.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
Ill have to read more into it, but shit I havn't had anyone with their own domain including myself in a minute to even need anything like an iframe in a long time. Alot of these fools are stuck on their myspace and twitter pages getting customized. Good shit.