"Virginia Tech is the worst massacre in US history"?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 6, 2004
LA VOZ DE AZTLAN EDITORIAL
Los Angeles, Alta California
April 23, 2007

The worst massacre in US history was not at
Virginia Tech but at Wounded Knee

The killing rampage at Virginia Tech college on April 16 is being described in numerous news reports as "the worst massacre in US history". This is totally false. The worst massacre in US history occurred on December 29, 1890 at Wounded Knee, South Dakota.

The gunman at Virginia Tech slaughtered only 32 victims but at Wounded Knee, the 7th US Cavalry massacred 300 Sioux Indian men, women and children. Of 350 Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee only 50 survived the killing rampage. The US government covered up the extent of the massacre by only reporting Indian dead as "64 men, 44 women and girls, and 18 babies". All of the bodies were buried in one communal grave.

One would think that journalists under the employ of major news networks are well educated and knowledgable of US history. So why are they reporting that "Virginia Tech is the worst massacre in US history"? Is it because in their minds American Indians don't matter?

It appears that the attitudes of US news reporters towards Native Americans have not changed much since the following news report was published in the St. Louis Republic on December 17, 1890, twelve days before the Wounded Knee Massacre and soon after the murder of Sitting Bull. Chief Sitting Bull was the last Sioux to surrender to the U.S. Government:

May 9, 2002
Its the worst "single person" massacre...in other words, ONE person doing the killing.

There are FAAAAAR bigger massacres by a GROUP in the US History.

Learn to understand the statement at hand. This was established the day AFTER the shootings.

I find it commical that this "reverse government propoganda" convientnly left out the "single person" part in front of massacre.

May 2, 2002
Does this really surprise you?

No one cares about Indians being killed in freakin' 1890. Most people don't care about crap unless it involves them somehow.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
gimpypimp said:
Does this really surprise you?

No one cares about Indians being killed in freakin' 1890. Most people don't care about crap unless it involves them somehow.
yeah they where my relatives, and i dont care.

Mar 16, 2005
It's the largest single person massacre, largest school massacre and the largest massacre WITH A GUN

NEVER was it said to be the largest massacre in us history

la voz needs to learn how to read reports before they write one.

Jan 10, 2006
I remember hearing this is the largest single person massacre. I'm sure some left out the "single" part when reporting but for the most part that's what I heard.