[VIDEO] Dregs One reports on the education system

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com

Peep this yall... our young ones are being misinformed, forced to drop out, and evaluated based off crooked standardized tests. Those that make it in college are forced into debt, struggling to get by, and going out into an economy where a university degree is less likely to get you a job. The powers that be don't want us advancing, they don't want us getting a real education, so don't sleep on this issue. Wake up.

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
I Just recived my BA Degree and am probably going to get my teaching credential....One thing I noticed when i went to UC Davis information sessison recently(about their teaching credentialing program)...

Is that there are a bunch of people trying to teach who are not in touch with the inner city's youth...Who probably cant relate to them or communicate with them....

Its good they are trying to empower the youth dont get me wrong..But when the counseler was explaining to the students interested in the credentialing program that we would have to go to inner city schools to get work experience...She made it seem like it was not what students had wanted to do...Maybe they have gotten complaints in the past from previous students about doing internships in the inner city schools.....

She immediatly said that private schools were out of the question for the interships...and that we would HAVE to be in the inner city schools.....

BUt yeah this education thing is crazy expensive.....and it dosent set in stone that you will get that money once you get that degree either.....Its a mess man.....

Dec 2, 2006
The people in charge of the children's futures have no vested interest to see them progress. My whole thing is hiring within the communities. Teachers, social workers, police, etc should all live in the communities they service. I have many ideas to help the less fortunate, but until you are on an equal playing field with those in charge of these decisions, you will remain mute. When I say equal, I am talking by educational standards. It is what it is. I didn't make it this way, but have to respect it if I really want to do good by the youth....

My comment is directed towards Joey's comment. I am going to watch the video now.

Dec 12, 2006
The disconnect in the education system is only gonna continue with the increasing wealth disparity, last stat I heard was Americas richest 400 families have more wealth than the bottom 50 percent of the country combined. Good vid as usual, were lucky to have CCSF here in the city, really is one of the better CC's in the country

Dec 2, 2006
what approach? letting them know what's happening...?
No, by instilling in their brain to rebel against the system. Trust, I am with you on this. But the system is not the problem, it is the people running the system that is the problem. Teaching the youth to make change starts with education, imo. You can be proud of where you are from but that does not mean you have to act a certain way or do certain things. The misconceptions go on and on. Teaching them to put themselves in a position to change what they don't like starts early on. Telling them the cards are stacked against them and they don't care only creates more enslavement, more bitterness, etc. Atleast in my opinion.

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
thats why we need to do something about it.
The people who "something about it" usually get shot in the face for disrupting the political agenda......

It seems like the only way to change the way things are going is to do it violently.....Like how these other countries are doing it and have been doing it.....When our governement wants something done, we just go and take it....Our government dosent protest, or settle things diplomatically.....So I think thats the only way they will understand.....Sad but true....I use to boggle my mind and get stressed out about all the things wrong with our government and political system.....

Until things get to the point where our society is willing to risk their lives....change will never happen.....

May 16, 2002
I personally think you have something huge here, but let me ask you this: Where else (other than youtube & Siccness) are you pitching this?

As a father I thank you due to the fact that I have noticed this in the school system. Granted that my son (in the 3rd grade) is a great student and keeps getting student of the month. His teacher is a great one as well, but I've seen some of his prior teachers just not give a shit & are there just for a paycheck.

On a different note, I think you should separate your music from this project. I understand it, but it could easily come off as your just creating a ruckus / rallying the troops to simply promote your music.

I also think you should put out a DVD, get this to where it can viewed by the masses. Yes, the internet is big, but have it on hand and let people screen it. Perhaps teachers, students, parents etc. And see what their opinion is.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
No, by instilling in their brain to rebel against the system. Trust, I am with you on this. But the system is not the problem, it is the people running the system that is the problem.
i could say a lot more about this BUT.... the system is the problem because whether it's education, housing, healthcare, whatever issue- they're all structured to keep a very small percentage of the population in power and the rest at the bottom.

capitalism is a system that was built on slavery, which is an institution that was built on racism and all three of them are still around today. slavery is just economic now.

so i respect the fact that you disagree but i don't see this shit getting any better thru elections & shifting people in power. these problems are never gonna change unless we do something about it.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
The people who "something about it" usually get shot in the face for disrupting the political agenda......

It seems like the only way to change the way things are going is to do it violently.....Like how these other countries are doing it and have been doing it.....When our governement wants something done, we just go and take it....Our government dosent protest, or settle things diplomatically.....So I think thats the only way they will understand.....Sad but true....I use to boggle my mind and get stressed out about all the things wrong with our government and political system.....

Until things get to the point where our society is willing to risk their lives....change will never happen.....
i agree... but most people are ignorant to these issues. if everyone in this country had an understanding about what's really going on behind the scenes, there would be some violent shit happening, trust me. but most of us are too busy worrying about which 2 rappers are beefing and who fucked who on jersey shore and the superbowl and shit like that.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
I personally think you have something huge here, but let me ask you this: Where else (other than youtube & Siccness) are you pitching this?

As a father I thank you due to the fact that I have noticed this in the school system. Granted that my son (in the 3rd grade) is a great student and keeps getting student of the month. His teacher is a great one as well, but I've seen some of his prior teachers just not give a shit & are there just for a paycheck.

On a different note, I think you should separate your music from this project. I understand it, but it could easily come off as your just creating a ruckus / rallying the troops to simply promote your music.

I also think you should put out a DVD, get this to where it can viewed by the masses. Yes, the internet is big, but have it on hand and let people screen it. Perhaps teachers, students, parents etc. And see what their opinion is.
thanks for the feedback..ive been pushing the videos on facebook (/dregs.one) twitter (@dregs_one), e-mail list, my website, different blogs on the web. basically i am using this to promote my music but the album i'm dropping "The Wake Up Call" ties in directly to these issues so it's all apart of one big movement. And yeah and when the album comes out ima drop a DVD with extended versions of the reports, and bonus footage like live shows and music videos.