USC's Lane Kiffin Recruits 13 Year Old

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
SMH... This shit is getting ridiculous!
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=4888515

Lane Kiffin really is getting a jump on recruiting.

No sooner had the Trojans new coach put the finishing touches on the Class of 2010 recruits, that he turned his attention to the Class of 2015.

That's right, 2015.

Thursday evening Kiffin received a verbal commitment from 13-year old wunderkind quarterback David Sills of Bear, Del.

Too young?

Not according to his personal coach Steve Clarkson, who has mentored some of the game's best quarterbacks including current USC starter Matt Barkley.

"His skill set is off the chart," Clarkson said. "I've never seen anyone at his age do what he's been able to do."

The commitment, which was first reported by ESPN's Shelley Smith, has happened in college basketball previously, but is unprecedented for college football where it's harder to project how a player as young as Sills will develop physically. Clarkson says that won't be a problem.

"He's already six feet as a 13-year old," Clarkson said. "And he's breaking down NFL footage."

Clarkson said the scholarship offer emerged after he called Kiffin to discuss a quarterback recruit for next year's class.

Clarkson said Kiffin asked him his opinion of the recruit and Clarkson said, "You might call me crazy, but you've known me a long time, right? And when I said if there was going to be a LeBron James of football it'd be Jimmy Clausen that turned out to be a pretty good prediction.

"And when I said Matt Barkley had the potential to be as good as Jimmy, he ended up winning Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior and starting at USC as a freshman, right?

"Well, I've got a kid now who is better than all of them and he's in Delaware. You gotta take a look at him."

Clarkson then directed Kiffin to a video of Sills that is making the rounds on YouTube.

Kiffin watched it and called him back immediately.

"He was like, 'This kid is incredible. How old is he again?'

"I was like, 'That's the problem, he's 13.' "

A couple of hours later, the Sills family called Kiffin and they spoke for the first time. USC had always been Sills' dream school, according to his father, David Sills IV.

"I'm as shocked as anybody," Sills' father said. "I was just talking with friends yesterday about what it'll be like four years from now when David goes through the recruiting process. I never expected this to happen so soon.

"But David's always wanted to go to USC. I mean, is there a better place to play football in the country? How can you pass up the best offer you're ever going to get?"

The younger Sills, who is an seventh-grader at Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear, Del., has been training with Clarkson for three years. They meet about once every six weeks at various locations around the country. Sometimes in California, where Clarkson is based. Sometimes in Delaware. And sometimes somewhere in the middle, if Clarkson is conducting a clinic.

"Steve and David hit it off immediately," David Sills IV said. "If there's ever anything David is doing wrong, Steve can fix it in like 10 minutes."

Still, 2015 is a long time from now. A lot can change.

"Well, we're going to be out to California in a few weeks and we'll meet Lane then," Sills' father said. "We're excited to meet him. And we're excited to verbally commit. Hopefully it all works out in the future."

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
what if his body dont mature like they think?

So many what ifs what a joke.
So many things in life change too. I have coached Youth Pop Warner Football a handful of years this decade and have watched these grown adults live through their own or other children. I hope it works out for the youngster in the long run, because mentally it could be devastating to him later on...

Aug 24, 2003
they're taking away that kids childhood!
let him grow, let him mature as an individual, god damn hes not even going to be physically ready for the nfl until hes what? 20 yrs? 21 yrs old?

his whole life will be dictated by football now, and if his body doesnt mature right or he doesnt develop right mentally, then his whole youth was destroyed, his whole life. this is an awful idea and should be illegal

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
David Sills & Family React To USC Commitment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4891901

The whirlwind journey of David Sills from a 13-year-old middle school quarterback to the most talked about college recruit in the nation continued late Friday night as he boarded a train with his mother, Denise, father, David Sills IV and his two older sisters, Emma, 17, and Abby, 14, from their home in Wilmington, Del. for an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America.

Less than 24 hours ago Sills, who is a seventh-grader at Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear, Del., verbally committed to play at USC despite not being able to officially sign his letter of intent until 2015.

It was a decision that set off a firestorm of opinion around the country and caused YouTube clips of the teenage signal caller to air on ESPN. It all came as a surprise to Sills when he awoke Friday morning and turned on the television.

"I felt like I was in a dream today," Sills said. "It was so amazing to see my highlights on TV. It was on in the restaurants and sports bars and everywhere. I saw myself a lot on TV today."

News of Sills' commitment spread quickly after his father informed Red Lion Christian Academy coach Eric Day, who called The News Journal in Delaware. Soon after Sills' father was forced to turn off his phone, which was being inundated with calls when the story was picked up nationally.

"I was very surprised at how big this got," Sills said. "My dad told me it was going to be big but I didn't think it was going to be this big."

Sills actually didn't think his commitment was that big of a deal.

"USC has always been my dream school," Sills said. "If it was any other college I probably wouldn't have said yes but all it is really is a verbal commitment so I can get out of it if I wanted to."

The backlash following Sills' commitment has been severe. Most of the criticism has been directed at USC coach Lane Kiffin for offering a scholarship to a 13-year-old, Sills' father for pushing his son into the limelight and personal quarterback coach Steve Clarkson, who has pipelined many of his star pupils from Matt Leinart to Matt Barkley to USC over the years.

"I really don't care what people say about me," Sills said. "When people say something negative about me I just take it and work harder because it makes me want to push harder and train harder and work harder and prove them wrong. I just take whatever they say negative and turn it into a positive."

Sills' father wasn't surprised by the reaction, admitting the whole situation seemed odd to him at first glance.

"Even when I sit back and reflect on it, it's shocking, weird, bizarre, you name it," said Sills' father. "Quite frankly I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The rules are the rules and as long as you abide by the rules then you abide by the rules. If people don't like this they don't need to get mad about it and bash the dad and bash the coach and bash the kid, they should call up the NCAA and tell them that they don't like the rules. I'm a guy that follows the rules. Whatever the rules are, let's play by the rules. It's very difficult as a father to say my son shouldn't be getting recruited at 13 so I'm not going to let him have this opportunity."

Sills' recruitment had little to do with his father and everything to do with Clarkson and his relationship with Kiffin. Clarkson was the one who called Kiffin and told him about Sills.

"Steve called me and I didn't even take the call because I was at a job site," said Sills' father, who is a commercial developer and contractor. "So I called him back and he said, 'You're never going to believe it.' He was talking to Lane about some junior quarterbacks and potential recruits who were juniors and he said, 'Look, I gave you Matt Leinart, I gave you Matt Barkley, you trust me and we've known each other for a long time and if you really want to look at a kid you need to look at this kid from Delaware.' So Lane looked at the video, called Steve back and said, 'I'll offer that kid a scholarship right now.' Steve told us that he couldn't call us so we had to call him and gave us his number."

Sills sat down with his parents and discussed the offer before calling Kiffin. But it didn't long for them to decide that USC was the right school. It wasn't a surprise considering Clarkson, who has USC memorabilia throughout his office, had taken Sills to USC games, introduced him to Pete Carroll after watching spring practices and brought in Leinart and Barkley to work with him.

"He has more of a relationship with USC for all these weird reasons than any other school. If any other school had asked him to do this I would have told him to say no," Sills' father said. "He decided if he was a senior he'd pick USC, if he was a junior he'd pick USC, if he was a sophomore he'd pick USC, if he was a freshman he'd pick USC. So why not just pick USC now? You think about a recruiting process taking two years and this recruiting process took three hours."

While Sills' father said he wasn't surprised by the backlash, he believes people would have a different point of view if they were the father of a child being recruited by one of the most storied college football programs in the country.

"For the people that don't like kids getting recruited early, if it was their kid, what would they do? Would they hold them back?" Sills' father asked. "I understand people's opinions and I respect that everybody is allowed to have an opinion but I don't really have a problem with people young, old or in between getting recruited. I don't think it's a big deal. People talk about pressure and expectations but that's not who David is. He doesn't feel a lot of pressure. He loves football and he likes to have fun. I told him if it ever gets to a point where he's not having fun to stop and we'll play golf."

Sills' father believes the reaction would have been different if Sills were a prodigy pianist offered a spot in the Philharmonic Orchestra.

"The way I look at it is if David was a phenomenal mathematician and I held him back, wouldn't that be wrong? If he was a great piano player or a gifted child actor and I held him back, wouldn't that be wrong?" Sills' father asked. "There are a lot of things that people don't put a negative stigmatism to because they're considered prodigies and all I'm doing is saying David has been recognized as a decent athlete and I'm allowing him to fulfill whatever opportunities that he can. It's as simple as that. There's no pressure, there's gentle encouragement. He's the one that always says dad let's go to the gym and let's throw. It's what he enjoys doing. If he ever got to a point where he doesn't love what he does I told him to stop."

As Sills sat next to his dad on the train to New York for the first of what could be a series of interviews (Clarkson's publicist is working on getting him on variety of national shows ranging from Ellen to Oprah), he said he was as nervous as he was last night when he talked to Kiffin, shaking as he talked to him on the phone. Sills' father was also nervous for a different reason. He was still hoping their decision and the publicity that has come with it would be worth it for his son and his family.

"I'm just trying to give him every opportunity that I can," Sills' father said. "There are people who support the decision and people who don't support the decision and I'm just hoping that I'm making the best decision for my child and I hope he's making the right decision for himself."

Mar 8, 2008
what if his body dont mature like they think?

So many what ifs what a joke.
if he doesnt turn out the way they hope im sure USC will have a back up plan, you dont put all your eggs in one basket at this stage.

they have nothing to lose but alot to gain, imagine if he does turn out the way theyre all hoping he does.. P. Manning 2..?