USA vs. Costa Rica

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 9, 2006
i didnt believe my eyes the first 20 mins...a l is a l but its all good...prob still be at the top of the group by the end while mex and honduras can choke it out for the final spot...american soccer isnt great but its better then mex and the entire concaf...reality check

Jan 5, 2006
i dont know, usually after 20 minutes to 30 minutes you adapt to the field you play on. Atleast thats how it was for me when i used to play. USA had a hard time getting past Costa Rica's defenders. The turf mightve sucked, but that doesnt mean the USA defenders couldnt slide tackle or get infront of the dude with the ball and make a block or a stop instead of just watching him dribble past you and chip it through.

Jun 23, 2002
i dont know, usually after 20 minutes to 30 minutes you adapt to the field you play on. Atleast thats how it was for me when i used to play. USA had a hard time getting past Costa Rica's defenders. The turf mightve sucked, but that doesnt mean the USA defenders couldnt slide tackle or get infront of the dude with the ball and make a block or a stop instead of just watching him dribble past you and chip it through.
Yup, these guys are professionals, they'd be the 1st to tell you they played badly and it wasn't the turf

Aug 9, 2006
they will qualify.... and when the WC starts.... they are fucked lol
that goes for a lot of 2nd tier international teams...making a joke about it is pretty retarded...its not like the American fans are blind and think WC is reachable at this point...we have realistic expectations unlike mexico whose fans get thier coach fired every other year because they think they can actually do something....that being said weve owned our group for sometime now....we have the bragging rights at this stage (group qualifying) because thats how far into WC'10 were in...let us enjoy it while we can...

costa rica played a great game and got thier result....but no one on this board can actually think that they are the better team. or make an arguement that anyone in our group is an all around better team...

Jan 12, 2006
that goes for a lot of 2nd tier international teams...making a joke about it is pretty retarded...its not like the American fans are blind and think WC is reachable at this point...we have realistic expectations unlike mexico whose fans get thier coach fired every other year because they think they can actually do something....
why you gotta bring up mexico?

Jan 18, 2006
why you gotta bring up mexico?
Thats what i was gonna say, he must think everyone who disses the US are Mexico fans. Its all about Italy and last time i checked they won the last world cup but i dont expect them to do as well this next world cup.

Apr 25, 2002
that goes for a lot of 2nd tier international teams...making a joke about it is pretty retarded...its not like the American fans are blind and think WC is reachable at this point...we have realistic expectations unlike mexico whose fans get thier coach fired every other year because they think they can actually do something....that being said weve owned our group for sometime now....we have the bragging rights at this stage (group qualifying) because thats how far into WC'10 were in...let us enjoy it while we can...

costa rica played a great game and got thier result....but no one on this board can actually think that they are the better team. or make an arguement that anyone in our group is an all around better team...

i wasn't making a joke, i'm just calling it like I see it. i hope the US turns heads in 2010 but its not going to happen. You say you have realistic expectations, ok, what are they??? to qualify??? If the US can't qualify they are garbage, the way the concacaf region is set up it would be damn near impossible for them not to qualify. So what are your expectations? Beat some other 2nd tier countries and hope for decent results against top squads?

Apr 25, 2002
fuck that, everyone has bad games... look at what happened to Argentina against Boliva,they lost 6-1 when they had to go to an awkward stadium and play.

Bolivia's stadium is at super high altitude, which will fuck with the players worse than playing on turf IMO. Like dude said, after 10 minutes or so they should have had a handle on the way the turf was going to affect passing, control, etc. Altitude is something you aren't going to adapt to in a 90 minute game.

Argentina also played that game towards the end of the international break, and to my reccolection they started a second tier squad minus a few players. I could be wrong on that though.

But you're right ,every team does have bad games. But my question is this, and i'm not trying to clown the USMNT this is a serious question because I don't really follow them: When did the US team have a really GOOD game? When was the last game where everything clicked and they rolled a team? And don't say against Mexico because I watched that game and it was dreadfully boring

Sep 4, 2002
Bolivia's stadium is at super high altitude, which will fuck with the players worse than playing on turf IMO. Like dude said, after 10 minutes or so they should have had a handle on the way the turf was going to affect passing, control, etc. Altitude is something you aren't going to adapt to in a 90 minute game.

Argentina also played that game towards the end of the international break, and to my reccolection they started a second tier squad minus a few players. I could be wrong on that though.

But you're right ,every team does have bad games. But my question is this, and i'm not trying to clown the USMNT this is a serious question because I don't really follow them: When did the US team have a really GOOD game? When was the last game where everything clicked and they rolled a team? And don't say against Mexico because I watched that game and it was dreadfully boring
Trinidad And Tobago when Jozy Scored 3 goals... before that probably the game against Barbados when we won 8-0. probably our last best stretch was in the last round of qualifying for WC when we didn't allow a goal in like 6-7 games or someshit like that

Sep 4, 2002

I agree with what your saying, im not solely blaming it on turf. it was just a combination of an away game in Concacaf (which are no fuckin joke). players injured, bad coaching. it was just bad all together... and come on... people are talking about the if they don't qualify for WC.... TRUST me, they will, they are better the anyone in Concacaf 9 times outta 10, and not to mention Concacaf is pretty easy to qualify into WC with the top 3 teams going then the 4th placed team goes into a playoff with the 5th placed south american team