US apologizes for 1940s STD study in Guatemala

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 29, 2008
US apologizes for 1940s STD study in Guatemala

(10-01) 09:38 PDT WASHINGTON, (AP) --

The U.S. government apologized to Guatemala Friday for a study 60 years ago in which American scientists deliberately infected prisoners in that country with syphilis.

The 1946 experiment was unearthed by a Wellesley College medical historian. It apparently was conducted to test the effectiveness of penicillin, which was relatively new then, in treating sexually transmitted diseases.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said they were, in their words, "outraged that such reprehensible research could could have occurred under the guise of public health."

Strict regulations today would prohibit such medical research. U.S. officials are beginning two investigations to uncover exactly what happened and make sure today's rules are adequate.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...1/national/w092810D12.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz117vcQVfe

Dec 29, 2008
i used to work for this alcohol research group and when i started working there they made us watch a video. the video went into detail about all the times in history hospitals and doctors in the USA did shit like this to certain groups. i can't remember all the incidents. but i remember some hospital gave mentally retarded people milk that had radiation in it to monitor the effects. i think syphillis was actually administered to black people also. there were many other incidents. we had to watch the video i forget why i think for legal reasons but it obviously showed how fucked up the hospital system is here in the USA.