Umpire's Blown Call Costs Detroit Pitcher Perfect Game

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
No, he is a douche bot for blowing the call, period.
really? I respect your opinion, because for the most part your posts on here (in the sports forum and other places) seem pretty logical, and I agree with you a lot of the time

but I just cannot see where you're coming from here

how is he a douche for missing a call??

everyone makes mistakes... don't tell me you've never made a mistake at your job

like I said... you probably wouldn't be calling him a douche if he didn't mess up a perfect game

I'm pretty sure that every single umpire or ref has missed a call at some point in their career... so with your logic all umpires and/or refs are douche bots. right?

May 9, 2002
really? I respect your opinion, because for the most part your posts on here (in the sports forum and other places) seem pretty logical, and I agree with you a lot of the time

Because he was CLEARLY safe, even in real-time, you could see it and he was RIGHT THERE to make the call.

everyone makes mistakes... don't tell me you've never made a mistake at your job
This has nothing to do with me or my job. On top of that, my job isnt in front of 40,000+ fans LIVE, and another 2 million on TV.

like I said... you probably wouldn't be calling him a douche if he didn't mess up a perfect game
Not as emphatically, no. However, the fact of the matter is....he was SAFE...and EVERYONE but the ump knew it.

I'm pretty sure that every single umpire or ref has missed a call at some point in their career...
Without any emperical evidence of this, you are making a loaded assumption.

so with your logic all umpires and/or refs are douche bots. right?
Homie, I am a Seahawk fan...what the FUCK do you think? Did you SEE Superbowl 40?

Regardless, most sports fans will tell you that we have a love/hate relationship with umps. Thats just LIFE.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU

I'm pretty sure that every single umpire or ref has missed a call at some point in their career... so with your logic all umpires and/or refs are douche bots. right?
what do you think about the refs in the pats vs raiders 2002 playoff game?

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
what do you think about the refs in the pats vs raiders 2002 playoff game?
honestly... I think it was a mistake... but they're not douche bags... they just fucked up and made a bad call

don't get me wrong I get mad at refs when they make bad calls against my team

however, when I step back and think about it as a logical unbiased person, rather than as a crazed fan, I realize it's a mistake, and mistakes happen in everything

because of refs and umpires there's a level of subjectivity in sports... which is going to lead to some controversy

if a ref is constantly making bad calls, then I think he deserves criticism, and should probably be fired... but you have to expect it to happen once in a while

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Because he was CLEARLY safe, even in real-time, you could see it and he was RIGHT THERE to make the call.

This has nothing to do with me or my job. On top of that, my job isnt in front of 40,000+ fans LIVE, and another 2 million on TV.

Not as emphatically, no. However, the fact of the matter is....he was SAFE...and EVERYONE but the ump knew it.

Without any emperical evidence of this, you are making a loaded assumption.

Homie, I am a Seahawk fan...what the FUCK do you think? Did you SEE Superbowl 40?

Regardless, most sports fans will tell you that we have a love/hate relationship with umps. Thats just LIFE.
I see what you're saying... I guess we just have different view points on it

I won't convince you to see my view point, so I'll save the long response, it's all good though

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I respect him for admitting to blowing the call. Most umpires, refs, etc in sports won't even speak on stuff like that no matter what the situation was.

I also do have to agree with LA Dodgers that Carbera should have just stuck to his postion and went to first and let the 2nd baseman field the ball.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
wtf does it matter if Cabrera stayed at first, the guy was still out. Also, Bud Sellig is a faggot.
Because then it would have been a routine play, no blown call, game over, perfect game in the books. Instead you have Cabrera running after the ball and leaving his position, having to spin and throw while the pitcher has to cover the base he left open.

I agree on Bud Selig being a faggot, but he was one long before of all this.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
another reason why baseball nowadays blows! the games are too long already why not have instant replay? its already intolerably too long, i dont see how getting crucial calls right is against the "spirit of the game" and all that faggot ass nostalgiac shit

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
as if every other sport doesnt have its boring fucking moments. props to baseball for not being run by a clock.

edit: oh and instant replay goes against everything and anything baseball is about.

Aug 31, 2006
The way I see it, regardless of "tradition" or not, the call was blown, the ump admitted it, the call should be overturned. As far as Im concerned, Selig hasnt given a legit reason as to why he didnt overturn it. The evidence is in REAL TIME AND REPLAY.

MLB needs to get off their god damn high horse and award Gallaraga (sp) a perfect game. in the long run, it will only hurt the popularity of the sport because the fans will call bullshit on the offiiciating and it wil be a blackeye to the sport, almost as worse as steroid use

May 6, 2002
He made a mistake and was a man about it. Like he said, he feels horrible about it.
If Gallarraga forgives the guy other people should as well. It's not like he did it on purpose.

It wasn't a rigged call. Plus it was just a regular season game as well. It wasn't a playoff determining call or the world series.

Still voting No on instant replays in baseball.

Aug 24, 2003
i think the worst part was when the coach ran out and the ump bitched him out. the first basemen kept bitching at the ump throughout the ending of the inning and the ump bitched back. then the ump bitched back at everyone who had something to say when the game was over. not very professional, when the fuck has a ump ever argued and showed such absence of class? he obviously didnt admit to shit or feel bad about anything until he realized he had to apologize and say he felt bad to keep his job and save face. i bet umps hate this guy now for putting a target on their chest

May 9, 2002
i think the worst part was when the coach ran out and the ump bitched him out. the first basemen kept bitching at the ump throughout the ending of the inning and the ump bitched back. then the ump bitched back at everyone who had something to say when the game was over. not very professional, when the fuck has a ump ever argued and showed such absence of class? he obviously didnt admit to shit or feel bad about anything until he realized he had to apologize and say he felt bad to keep his job and save face. i bet umps hate this guy now for putting a target on their chest
You dont watch much baseball do you? Umps argue with players and managers ALL THE TIME. They will always defend themsevles and their calls until they realize those calls were wrong.