Top Dawg Ent. Mega-thread (Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay-Rock etc)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
added to the narrative/story of the album on the last page....a part they missed. 'bitch dont kill my vibe' goes with the first skit because his mom was killing his vibe trying to get to sheranes pad, and killed his dads vibe turning off the oldies he was jamming to.

on bitch dont kill my vibe he says 'theyve been waiting on me like the first and the 15th'

his mom was waiting for the van for 15 minutes. the 1st is when food stamps come.

the dominoes the dad was asking was standing for 'domino effect' meaning him doing something had karmatic reprecussions, which is explained later in the album. someone had been killed, and theyre getting back. one domino standing up will tip the next domino down when it falls. meaning one person dies and the next person gets knocked down.

just adding on to the beginning explanation of the album

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2003
Man im glad i aint the only one thats disappointed. I hella liked swimming pools and it turns thats like the only track that really tried to blow us away with. All i could think was "this is his debut album?". Sounds more like a someones sophomore effort. I hope he has success but i certainly aint buying a copy
Yea i fukd up and bought it before even listening bc it was out early. But i gave this album three spins it just dont do it for my sounds uncomplete and he dont have no strong songs on it. He a good freestyler yea but his voice loses me. For it to come out on dres label i expected it to be better or damn near classic but this shit average at best j coles debut was better then this one.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
the album tells the story of a black male growing up in southern cali. if youre around the same age and from southern cali youll feel this album. shit damn near tells my life story in his own story. Many people look up to cali the music and the gangsters and rappers but dont know how life and growing up around it was...this album definitely explains that life the best ive heard in any album really.

im not even a fan of kendrick hes my least favorite in black hippy besides maybe jay rock and i like jay rock almost more cuz hes on some hard shit....but kendrick suprised me with this and is a great author if he wrote the narrative to the album himself, that takes talent.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2003
the album tells the story of a black male growing up in southern cali. if youre around the same age and from southern cali youll feel this album. shit damn near tells my life story in his own story. Many people look up to cali the music and the gangsters and rappers but dont know how life and growing up around it was...this album definitely explains that life the best ive heard in any album really.

im not even a fan of kendrick hes my least favorite in black hippy besides maybe jay rock and i like jay rock almost more cuz hes on some hard shit....but kendrick suprised me with this and is a great author if he wrote the narrative to the album himself, that takes talent.
I'm sorry homie im just not feeling this album at all atleast you and others are. Its weak imo ill never waste money on a new rap album again.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
whats part 2 to cartoons and cereal, the cd then?

and i just heard that. eh. not as good as number 1 and definitly not as sicc as number 2

Gas One

May 24, 2006
so what does maad city mean?
my opinon on the maad city part, is if you look back at W.C. and the maad circle....and what was going on at the time.... and you think about what w.c. and the maad circle stood for (first album called 'curb servin" (selling drugs) , 'bow down' (black male bravado) west up (territorial) basically, that music spoke for the gangsterism mindstate at the time it was out and possibly around the same age kendrick was a kid. music like that inspired alot of us to act out, theres a quote where kendrick lamar looks at himself as cuba gooding jr, which is the good kid in a gangster movie. this same movie, inspired alot of black males to act up.....i was there to see it. which is where the 'peer pressure' song comes in, hes pretty much saying a good kid turned out by peer pressure of the city.

if we wanna go deeper maad stood for "Minority Alliance of Anti-Discrimination." which i could also expand on but im lazy. basically it brings the twist in the dualities of worlds and brings like damn near a triple entendre into play.

also, the song with mc eiht had a waaay deeper meaning than most people caught. what they were trying to portray was the use of drugs in order to ease the pain of killing another. one of the most troublesome drugs in that sense in LA was angel dust. which at the point of the story had a double meaning with 'holy water' 'maad city made me an angel on angel dust' his mom claimed he needed water and made them pray. the same holy water that cleaned his soul on the album, he says the maad city made him an angel on angel dust, which to me is saying that smoking water made him completely reidrect his motivation and mindstate before that same water burned him. so basically hes saying he had a trip, into what well call 'hellucination" (to quote a song sample) which set him right mentally, or brought him through the fire to be what he was reborn as. i know alot of people who end up smoking water get really religious, find new belief in god due to the near death experience and traumatic situations and find peace, finally able to pull themself from that circle of 'the maad city' controlling the good kids instincts. i can relate because i went through this same exact struggle that kendrick painted and i was the good kid, the life around me made me adapt to something more hardened because it was prey, pray or get preyed on...im honestly proud someone told this story in such good detail to the point id shake kendricks hand just for telling a story that would take me a decade to write any better. i could keep going with the explanations of this album, kendrick did a genius job at tying shit together from a artistic perspective. i was never even a kendrick lamar fan till now, matter fact i hated swimming pools honestly

Last edited:

Gas One

May 24, 2006
I'm sorry homie im just not feeling this album at all atleast you and others are. Its weak imo ill never waste money on a new rap album again.
i wasnt asking you to expand on why you didnt like it or pleading for you to like it, i was just giving understanding to the deeper meaning behind the album for those interested since i took a little longer to digest it than most.

what you like or do not like aint none of my bizness bro and really dosent matter. im just talking about the album, as this is a thread specifically designed for conversation on said album. i think..? maybe the acid i took earlier yesterday hasnt fully worn off, but this is what logic is telling me. if were battling on subjective opinions on sound, mah bad! wrong thread.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2009
that Heart Pt 3 was niceeee. shoulda been on the album. it's nice for promo tho.

I seen that when you buy it at Target, you get 2 exclusive bonus tracks, County Building Blues and Swimming Pools Remix Ft. Black Hippy

Imma get it there, so if the tracks arent up by tomorrow afternoon, i'll hit you guys up with a link for them

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
one thing that makes me question that one cats breakdown is he says they have a prayer session with k.dot's mom on dying of thirst, when that CLEARLY is a different woman's voice, sounds like someones grandma, makes me question dudes whole shit if he couldnt tell that much lol

also infinity @infinity posted this like 2 pages back

Speaking to the LA Leakers, Kendrick reveals that the “m.A.A.d” in his album title stands for either ” my Angry Adolecent divide” or “my Angles on Angels Dust.”

Props: fillyacup