Tool - Opiate ?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I've become a huge Tool fan over the last few months as many of you may know. This is the only Tool album I don't have now. How is it? Is it a must-have? How would you describe the music in comparison to the other masterpieces they've made? I figure it will help hold me over until the new one drops. Thanks for any feedback......

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
It's more of just heavy metal album than like their other releases. Not really any of the melodic breaks and such.

That being said it is a great album IMO. If you are a huge Tool fan I would say pick it up. I always see it used for like 6-7 dollars so check the used bins first. If not I would still say it is worth the full price.

There is only 5 songs listed but there is a sixth hidden track.

Nuttkace

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
HELL yeah its a must have. It sounds so different than any of their other CD's. You can tell they were just starting up, but they still fucking rock so hard. Different style. Short songs (3-4 mins max besides the last couple), and Maynard is more active on the mic throughout each song.

Opiate is probably my favorite song on it. It speaks down on organized religion in a really discrete way just like "The Noose" does on that APC cd. The lyrics are so well thought out.

6 songs + a 7th secret song

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
you checked it out yet?? ive been blasting it on my ipod @ the gym for the past few days straight, and it gets fucking better every time. nothing else can match it right now for lifting.

the first time i heard it i thought it was "alright", and i didnt even like track 4 much. Now theyre all anthems to me.. nothing but top of the line music.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
KillaNiggaNite said:
Ænima is the best tool cd imo. but i havent heard there more recent albums how are they?
The only cd after Aenima was Lateralus released in 2001. Their new one is supposed to drop May 2nd. Lateralus is really dope. My favorite switch all the time between Aenima and Lateralus.

Nuttkace

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
Nuttkase said:
The only cd after Aenima was Lateralus released in 2001. Their new one is supposed to drop May 2nd. Lateralus is really dope. My favorite switch all the time between Aenima and Lateralus.

Nuttkace
exactly how i feel... my favorite goes back and forth between those 2 nonstop. Lateralus I think is more of a "complete" flowing album where each song connects nicely to one another. And Aenima I think is more based on 'individual' songs all being hits, and sort of different from one another.

so it depends if i want to listen to single songs or a full album I guess..

As for Opiate, theres no way its as 'good' as the other 2 (maybe better than undertow), but its the most aggressive and hard-rockish imo

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
For real.

I personally think the song Aenima might be one of the best songs ever made.

I love how that song is so hard and than towards the end for like one minute it's hella mellow. Maynards vocals during the mellow part are so fucking amazing. Than it gets heavy again...god I love that fucking song. I'm about to throw it on now lol.

Nuttkace

Apr 25, 2002
I actually picked it up the other day at Best Buy. I haven't REALLY had a chance to soak it. So far, it's just alright like you said PSILO. I know I'll like it more once I get to really soak. All the albums took a little time to really get into 'em and feel 'em for me, but once I did they turned into masterpieces.....