***TOO CREATIVE TO BLOW***

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 1, 2005
Think about this slang shit for a minute.....The reason the bay hasnt and wont be huge is because 95% of people simply dont know what the fuck rappers from the bay are talking about. Unless youre from the bay or have been listening to bay rap since the early or mid 90's youre completely lost with this shit....Ive been on one with bay rap since i was like 11 or 12 so im pretty well laced but when i slump this shit around other people from here, most of the time they have never heard of who im listening to and sure as hell dont have any idea what theyre saying...If people dont know your rappers, theyre most likely not going to jump on the bandwagon immediately after hearing 'Super Sic Wit It' 'Metros and Chirpers', etc....I was listening to 'Krankin' earlier today and listened to Nump's verse from the point of view of the average tardy rap fan...If I were one of those tardy rap fans I Seriously might not have understood one bar of what he was saying. Its pretty much all slang and since I know it I love the shit, but people who dont know it usually dont like it and takes a while to learn it.....Think about it...Theres threads on here titled "best/worst bay area slang"...As you sit here and argue about what best and worst 95% of the rest of the United States has never even heard of any of it......When 40 Water is "directing traffic" in 'Tell Me When To Go' he has the idea...Personally I think the song needed one of two more verses but the "directing traffic" part is necessary to teach people and get them up on this shit so it even has a chance of catching on......If people knew the slang, the bay would be huge, but they dont, so its not.....Pretty much simple as that.........Ok everyone now tell me how wrong I am

Dec 4, 2005
I wouldn't say you're wrong or right. I just think delivery is super important and wordplay too. If you're speaking with a lot of slang you kinda want to package it so it doesn't go over the listeners head. I've always thought it's very important for the listener to understand what you're saying when you're rapping so they can feel what you're saying and thats all about delivery. But if you can get real clever with your wordplay you shouldn't go over their heads with the slang. I think sometimes meaning gets lost but that's because the lyrics aren't clever enough. This might sound like nonsense but it makes sense to me.

Dec 15, 2005
ive been listening to bay rap since the early 90's or even too short back in the 80's.Ive always been a fan of e40 but to be honest i always thought the slang he says is lame.I know a lot of people feel this way but there to worried about what people will think if they stand up and say that they think his slang is lame.E-40 is the only person using slang like "can you smell me???"Nobody would say anything like this unless your e40,from the bay, or just some square.Slang comes from all over not just the bay.The only thing the bay is known for is making up unique slang like "can you smell me???"

May 12, 2004
yea if a person hasnt lived there or never heard of the music. he gonna be wonderin what they talkin about. but most of the time if you dont know the slang you can piece it together

Dec 5, 2005
Naw them Dip Set niggaz be usin "ya smell me?" hellla much but i feel u on people dont fuck wit bay rap cus they dont understand the slang cuz i was jus talkin to this nigga from philly jus yesterday and he was talkin bout he heard of bay rap but he wont listen to it cus "them niggaz be havin they own language"

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
This "reason" for the Bay not blowing up is posted about once a week, but people need to come up with something else.

EVERY region has unique slang and a unique way of life that is reflected in that region's music and may go over the average out of area listener's head. A couple of those regions are winning right now. I'm sure the average Billy from Idaho or Tiffany from New Hampshire has never been to Houston or Memphis and probably understands less than 50% of what the rappers there are talking about, but they're buying the records.

You don't have to know all the slang from a region or go there and experience the area to buy the music.

I'm not claiming to know what the actual reason(s) are for the Bay not blowing up. I'm just saying I don't think this is it.