Tom Cable works through first day jitters!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
http://www.sacbee.com/100/v-print/story/1282662.html

Raiders' interim coach works through first-day jitters

By Paul Gutierrez - [email protected]
Published 12:00 am PDT Thursday, October 2, 2008
ALAMEDA – A fitful night was followed by a stressful day in a bye week. And this is a good thing for Tom Cable.

The Raiders' interim head coach, promoted from offensive-line coach in the wake of Lane Kiffin's firing, began his first full day on the job Wednesday. Cable had to be called to midfield by amused players to break a huddle and get his first practice going. And when it ended, he was unsure how to address the assembled media.

"Uh, hold on a second. Do I start this?" he asked sheepishly to laughter. "Bear with me a minute."

A fish out of water? More like a lineman out of the trenches. Not that this is a bad thing.

Far from it. The rumors that swirled since January and intensified to hurricane-force winds the past three weeks have ceased, as has the accompanying uncertainty.

"It's like anything in life," said Cable, who acknowledged having a sleepless night. "Something happens, there's kind of that period of time where you say, 'Whew,' get over it, and then you're able to get back up, get on your feet and get on the horse and go. And I think that's what we did today. We'll move forward."

Cable, 43, joined Kiffin's staff in 2007 after a year coaching the offensive line of the Atlanta Falcons, who led the NFL in rushing (with quarterback Michael Vick running for 1,039 yards).

"He was real involved," said fullback Justin Griffith, who played in Atlanta with Cable that season. "His motto is '1 and 0.' "

That's a testament to Cable's philosophy to live and play in the present. And to win.

His game plan?

"You throw the football to score points in this game," Cable said in his introductory conference. "You run the football to win it. And you've got to find a balance between those two."

Cable, a Merced native who played college ball as a guard at Idaho, began his coaching career at his alma mater as a graduate assistant in 1987. He also cut his coaching teeth at San Diego State, Cal State Fullerton, UNLV, Cal and Colorado before serving as Idaho's head coach from 2000 to 2003. The Vandals averaged 424.1 yards in his four-year tenure but went 11-35.

In 2004 and 2005, Cable was UCLA's offensive coordinator and offensive-line coach.

The marked improvement of Raiders left guard Robert Gallery has been credited to Cable.

"He doesn't just do the line stuff when I go up and sit in his office," Gallery said. "He knows everything. He's a real smart guy, and he knows what plays help other plays, whether they're run or pass. He's definitely got a head start.

"We sit and talk in the games all the time, and he's like, 'You know, when you do this and this and this, it's going to open up this pass.' He's real on top of it."

Justin Fargas, who ran for a career-high 1,009 yards behind Cable's renowned zone-blocking scheme last season, agreed.

"Anybody that's been around him or sees the way he coaches or approaches the game, he's a guy that you say, 'I'd play for that guy,' " Fargas said. "I always felt that way. So now that he's our head coach, it doesn't change."

Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp will call the plays, but Cable has the final say.

"First of all, in order to succeed, you have to fail," Cable said. "I've said that from Day One: Never be afraid to make mistakes. But around me, make mistakes at 100 miles an hour, because you'll grow from that quicker. You'll learn from that quicker."

The Raiders practice today, then are off until Monday, when they begin preparation for their Oct. 12 game against the Saints in New Orleans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like Tom Cable's approach. A few of his quotes sticks out to me and Tom said what I've been saying on here for a while now about making mistakes and learning from them and about passing the damn ball. I feel he's the right guy to lead us in the right direction. Who else is in with Tom Cable? Let the new era begin. Here's another bold prediction from the one and only Tony who could never be phony:

Javon Walker will now be more productive.... Watch!!
And expect to see McFadden more involved more in the passing game too once he gets healthy!!

Mar 16, 2005
yaaaaaaaay passing the ball more...love it!

i'm ready for 3 and 4 int games and 5+ sack games!

pssst hey Tony, in order for Walker to be involved more he needs to get open....can't happen!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
pssst hey Tony, in order for Walker to be involved more he needs to get open....can't happen!
He can get open... he only has 4 catches in 3 games because his number wasn't being called. The man is ready to ball.... watch and don't say I didn't tell you.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
ANOTHER LONG SEASON IN THE MAKING.
We'll see... I think we're going to see the real Raiders now that Tom is head coach. We won't be held back anymore. You mf's better get ready! I hope my new team doesn't beat up on my old team too bad....

hahahahahaha... I love being a Raiders fan!

Mar 16, 2005
He can get open... he only has 4 catches in 3 games because his number wasn't being called. The man is ready to ball.... watch and don't say I didn't tell you.

thats right I missed all the times he was open but they just looked away...sorry my bad!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
^Because the boy is a baller man.

What's up on the Madden dog? They got your Cowboys on there pretty good... almost everybody I play against online be using them.

May 24, 2006
www.fucku.com
LOL... man tony u say some crazy ass shit. usually i dont say much but damn... javon walker is a piece of shit. waste of money, and a waste of roster spot. fool got PAID for doing absolutly NOTHING. hes just not the same WR he once was(not that it was ever that GREAT anyways)

fuck al davis.

ne of yall read that article about how sapp said as long as davis is alive, the raiders will be shitty. lol.

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
Lmfao @ Walker Ready To Ball Fool Ready To Get The Ball Thrown Over His Head With His Slow Ass Cut Him GO Get a Young WR Or Fuck It Just Throw It To Zack He Catchs Damn Near Everything Hes A Beast Untill JR Can Learn Not TO Throw Over Heads And Throw To People Our Passing Game Will Be Shit Only THing Good We Got Is Our Running An Thats STarting To Look Shit With Justin Out So I Agree With Sapp Raiders Aint Going Nowhere Anytime Soon Untill AL Is Replaced

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
LOL... man tony u say some crazy ass shit. usually i dont say much but damn... javon walker is a piece of shit. waste of money, and a waste of roster spot. fool got PAID for doing absolutly NOTHING. hes just not the same WR he once was(not that it was ever that GREAT anyways)

fuck al davis.

ne of yall read that article about how sapp said as long as davis is alive, the raiders will be shitty. lol.
A lot of people have said I say crazy things but they turn out true.

We'll see about Walker... it's all good to voice your opinion SkizzYeee... we choppin' up football dog. I still think Walker got it in him, I just think his number wasn't being called like it should have. Only time will tell but I am thinking he's going to break out now!

Let me go check that article out about what Warren Sapp said...

Mar 16, 2005
A lot of people have said I say crazy things but they turn out true.

We'll see about Walker... it's all good to voice your opinion SkizzYeee... we choppin' up football dog. I still think Walker got it in him, I just think his number wasn't being called like it should have. Only time will tell but I am thinking he's going to break out now!

Let me go check that article out about what Warren Sapp said...

so by saying this your saying your young qb is actually just concentrating on the number thats called instead of progressing through his reads???

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
I think we will beat the saints. the media is acting like every starter on the team died or something. every single person that was there before kiffin got fired, is still there. we have been competing at a high level and I think the team will continue to improve as the season progresses, especially the offense.