THoughts on Taylor Mays of the 49ers?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 6, 2008
as long as he can wrap up his enemy when he tackles, instead of jsut hitting the guy, he will be doing alot more than what ive seen dfenseive palyers on the 9ers do in the past couple of seasons.

you cant jsut hold onto a player, you ahve to wrap him up, bear hug, and then bring him down.

he needs to learn some basic, but with his speed, 4.2-4.3 i cant see why they can tteach him how to do some pas coverage and reading the offense, unless he donest have a football iq.

im optimistic, if he is willing to learn, and he has the capacity to learn, then he can go far.

but, there ar a lot of ifs, and that is why he was drafted in the 2nd round, and not the f1st round.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
at the least.... hes a huge upgrade over mark roman as the 3rd safety lol u cant get much worse than roman

Oct 23, 2009
He'll probably play in some nickel and dime packages for now, which will give him time to learn the playbook and improve his coverage skills. Michael Lewis is still the starting SS and will be seeing how he's the 3rd leading tackler in the team. At worst I think he will be a mirror image of Lewis (solid tackler who can play in the box, limited coverage). He has the tools to be great but talent doesn't always translate into NFL production, it's really up to him I think.

Jun 16, 2002
dude wants to play ball.. wants to learn.. and wants to be a top player... IS the 49ers the best spot for him??

** edit ** - it was a great prospect pick IMO... but not the right now player SF needs
They have a solid SS in Michael Lewis, but dude is getting old. That should give Mays time to be coached up before he has to hit the field though.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers rookie safety Mays is eager to dispel doubts
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/28/2853607/49ers-rookie-safety-mays-is-eager.html#mi_rss=49ers

SANTA CLARA – For a guy with a reputation for poor coverage skills, Taylor Mays did a fine job of sticking to Johnnie Lynn during the 49ers' practice sessions this month.

Mays is the team's 22-year-old rookie safety, a former big man on campus at USC who tumbled to the middle of the second round of the April draft.

Lynn, 53, played defensive back for the New York Jets in the early 1980s and has been the 49ers' secondary coach the last four seasons.

A typical practice found the two standing side by side in the middle of the field 35 yards behind the defense. That perspective allowed Mays to take what Lynn refers to as a "visual rep."

He wasn't part of the play. He wasn't even wearing a helmet. But Lynn had Mays give him the defensive play call, line up and then react as the play went in motion. On a squad teeming with young safeties, it was the best way to give Mays valuable practice time without robbing another player of his turn.

"It's like a tutorial back there," Lynn said. "It helps accelerate his learning in this defense."

Of the 49ers' nine draft picks, Mays is perhaps the most intriguing. He gave a stunning performance at the NFL combine in February, running the second-fastest 40-yard sprint of the 329 players invited. Only wide receiver Jacoby Ford, drafted by the Raiders, was better. Ford, a track star at Clemson, is 5-foot-9 and 186 pounds. Mays is a muscular 6-3, 230.

But in the NFL, rookie safeties rarely play fast.

Football often is compared to a chess match. But it's a chess match in which moves must be made in 40 seconds and in which the pieces are shuffled around before every snap.

The quarterback orchestrates those moves on offense. The safety does it on defense.

Dashon Goldson went through three offseasons before becoming one of the 49ers' starting safeties last year. Goldson, 25, said the chess match immediately starts after the previous play.

"First of all, you have to know what personnel group they're in – how many wide receivers, how many running backs, how many tight ends," he said. "You want to know the down and distance. Where are they on the field? Are they in the red zone? Are they near the 50? We call that the 'alumni zone' – that's where a lot of trick plays come."

At that point, he gets the call from the sideline and relays it to his teammates. Then he analyzes how the offense lines up and barks orders to the other defenders. If the receivers go in motion, that prompts more instructions. If the tight end moves from one end of the alignment to the other, Goldson shifts his men accordingly.

The 49ers envision a future in which Mays and the 6-2, 200-pound Goldson patrol the defensive backfield. The question is how much Mays can contribute in 2010.

Before the draft, evaluators questioned whether he was fluid enough to cover receivers. They criticized a tackling style that eschewed technique for the knockout blow. They wondered why the biggest, fastest safety in the nation didn't make more big plays. Mays also must erase what he learned at USC and start fresh in a 49ers system that utilizes new coverage schemes and a different language.

Lynn says there's no reason to rush. The 49ers' plan is to ease Mays into the lineup as they did Goldson – initially making him part of a substitution package and gradually increasing his responsibilities.

But perhaps no rookie is as motivated as Mays.

His draft-day plunge left him defiant and eager to prove himself to his skeptics, including former coach Pete Carroll, who now coaches the division rival Seattle Seahawks and who passed on Mays in the first round.

"I know what I can do and know what I'm capable of doing," he said. "I think it's just a misconception that I can't do a lot of things as a safety. That's why I've got coaches that are willing to work with me."

And Mays has taken full advantage of those coaches, sticking like glue to Lynn and every other assistant who can help him.

On the final day of spring practices, coach Mike Singletary described Mays as the most annoying rookie on the roster.

But he did so with a smile.

"He's driving (secondary coach) Vance Joseph and Johnnie crazy," Singletary said. "He's called me a few times. He's called them a few times. 'Hey, coach, what about this? Hey, coach, what about that? Can we get together tomorrow? Can we do this? Can I come in on Sunday?'

"That's the kind of kid he is, and I'm excited about him."

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
I thought he was gonna be a MONSTER in the league...I think they ended up putting him at linebacker at some point is his lackluster NFL career....I remeber the Raiders had him on the roster for a minute..But nothing panned out.....

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
don't kid yourself Niners fans

you know damn well if the Raiders had picked Mays you'd be talking about how it's a typical Al Davis pick and how he's gonna be garbage

I don't know how he's gonna do... he's not projected to be a very good NFL player... but he could prove everyone wrong

Oct 23, 2009
The difference is Al Davis always reaches for his picks due to his infatuation with speed. I guarantee DHB wouldn't be the source of some draft jokes if the Raiders would've picked him in the 2nd/3rd round like he was supposed to go.
The reason for optimism with Mays is because of where he was drafted at. Most Niners fans wanted nothing to do with him in the 1st round.

Jan 5, 2006
don't kid yourself Niners fans

you know damn well if the Raiders had picked Mays you'd be talking about how it's a typical Al Davis pick and how he's gonna be garbage

I don't know how he's gonna do... he's not projected to be a very good NFL player... but he could prove everyone wrong
See he wasnt a 1st rounder though....

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
yeah, I see what you guys are saying

but I still think if the Raiders had drafted him at all you guys would not think he's gonna be a good NFL player

maybe I'm wrong though...

Jan 5, 2006
yeah, I see what you guys are saying

but I still think if the Raiders had drafted him at all you guys would not think he's gonna be a good NFL player

maybe I'm wrong though...
I know a good player when I see one, i wouldnt let my judgement be impaired jus cuz the player signed with the raiders or a team i dont like.. had he gone to the raiders, based on the combine i wouldve said u guys picked up a good player.. based solely on that.. we cant really judge off anything else until pre-season, OTAS dont really say much either.

Dec 9, 2005
He's got the physical tools, no doubt. I'm glad we got him, where we did.

I think he fits into the style of defense Sing is trying to implement (or did already)