those that know the music industry game... break it down for your boy.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 10, 2004
I know artists get paid royalties each time they get their song played on the radio or on TV, but are the bay area artists gettin' royalties as well or is their music just getting air play for advertisment? I hear nothing but that hyphy bay music on the radio, THANK GOD!!! and i hope they gettin' a check mailed to them for each time the song gets played. same question goes for the producers out from here...

I know the yay is all independent and everyone out here is doin' their own thing.

much luv

Oct 19, 2004
Read up on ASCAP and BMI. If an artist isn't registered through one of those companies, they're not gettin any royalties off radio play. ASCAP records over 60,000 hours of radio a year itself along with detailed reports from every radio station in america. They calculate how many spins you got then they distribute royalty checks accordingly.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I know someone is supposed to get about 8 cents every time their song gets play anywhere if they are signed up with ASCAP or BMI. I don't know which bay artists are with them or not, its not like its hard to do or anything and it don't cost you anything. One thing I wonder is if bay artists are getting sample clearances or not for their beats.

ASCAP and BMI don't only track radio play, they track everything, I heard they make bars and clubs cut them checks too just so they can play music. They will sue the hell out of you if you don't comply and they will win. ASCAP, BMI the RIAA and the 3 biggest record labels have alot of big time judges and lawmakers on their side so they can stick you for every cent

Nov 8, 2004
www.turfquake.com
bay artists do not pay for sample clearance

i cant remember seeing ASCAP in anyones credits

all you see it... THE NAME OF THE SONG... AND WHO PRODUCED IT..

and if u aint already a major name... u hafto PAY to get yo shit on radio.. dont think just cuz its hot its gonna get played.. clearchannel aint goin for that

so songs like "grown man on" lolololol aint gettin the artists shit.. it could get played 3087393 times a day.. all they gettin is promotion

Oct 19, 2004
Un Just said:
bay artists do not pay for sample clearance

i cant remember seeing ASCAP in anyones credits

all you see it... THE NAME OF THE SONG... AND WHO PRODUCED IT..

and if u aint already a major name... u hafto PAY to get yo shit on radio.. dont think just cuz its hot its gonna get played.. clearchannel aint goin for that

so songs like "grown man on" lolololol aint gettin the artists shit.. it could get played 3087393 times a day.. all they gettin is promotion
If you registered through ASCAP or BMI it dont matter how undergound yo shit is you still gon get paid. Even if you pay to get yo shit played on the radio. ASCAP is gonna pay you royalties off everytime it gets played period. Shit radio stations pay ASCAP big money. They dont play at all, they gon make sure you get paid for whats yours. Do some research and you'll see what im talkin bout.