Those of you in apartments....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 10, 2004
duplexes and triplexes...what you think of this...wa la...

~Landlord liability for criminal acts of others~

Even if the landlord is not insured for it, the landlord can still be sued and held liable for crimes
committed in the apartment complex, such as thefts from the cars, where the landlord has been
negligent, such as failing to fix the garage security gate. They often claim they are not liable, but that is a bluff. Also, if the conduct in question was that of the resident manager or other employee hired by the landlord, the landlord is personally responsible to you as though he had done the act. Crime is a habitability issue, under the contract, not just negligence.

They may also appear to deny liability because their insurance "doesn't cover that". That's their problem: they can't avoid liability by avoiding insurance. If that worked, nobody would buy insurance. Moreover, the fact that you did not have "renter's insurance" is no excuse for their neglect, nor does it reduce your recovery. See a lawyer about your theft, for the details.

haha..
but then you should hurry up and move

May 6, 2002
That really isnt anything new. Landlors have always been taken to court over things like this...and when they do fail to neglect matters of their responsibility (broken gate), they are often held responsible.

It also gets into the actual contract that the tenant signs before moving in. Most landlords (that I know) have a clause stating that the landlord is not responsible for things like theft. Once the tenant signs that...its game over.

Good post though. I into Real Estate, but its not my main source of income.