the yay in NYC?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Hutch

Sicc OG
Mar 9, 2005
Hiya folks

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good store that sells yay hip hop in New York - I've travelled to the US for work, but unfortunately the only SF I saw was from a plane window. I've managed to get a few days in NY tho, and want to buy up big while I'm here (sick of getting them shipped over to Australia!). Someone suggested the Virgin megastore, but I have a feeling that it will be full of commercial crap. Cheers!

TKASH

Sicc OG
Jun 6, 2005
www.guerrillafunk.com
Try Canal Street in Manhattan there are a a bunch of side shops that sell cds , watch out for the bootleggers , and Phat Beats over in Greenage Village. They both should still be there.

Sick of AU ? Man I love that place man!--lol

May 12, 2002
dope.st
I was in NYC on business 3 weeks ago and tried to find a spot selling bay CD's. There ain't shit in Manhattan/NYC itself, as far as I could tell, and I must have walked every block. Canal Street just full of knocked off electronics and aftershaves, I didn't see no CD's round there. Virgin Megastore in Time Square is the only big CD chain I saw, and it didn't even have the new Keak CD, though I picked up the Beeda Weeda joint. There was some new Mess and Thizz there but all very overpriced. I asked this breezy working a bar who told me about a bunch of independent / mom&pop stores in Greenwich Village, I think some were on Bleecker Street, which were stacked deep with CD's and Vinyl but no bay shit anywhere, in fact not a lot of rap at all. Picked up a few classic joints on the R&B tip, but that was it. Next time I'm there I'm going to try Brooklyn. By the way, if you like graf check out the legal graffiti block in L.I.C. over in Queens that shit was way too dope.

Dec 19, 2006
www.myspace.com
Hiya folks

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good store that sells yay hip hop in New York - I've travelled to the US for work, but unfortunately the only SF I saw was from a plane window. I've managed to get a few days in NY tho, and want to buy up big while I'm here (sick of getting them shipped over to Australia!). Someone suggested the Virgin megastore, but I have a feeling that it will be full of commercial crap. Cheers!
Virgin has hella Bay shit in NY.. Thizz shit.. SMC shit.. you just gotts really look.

Hutch

Sicc OG
Mar 9, 2005
Thanks everyone, my hotel should only be a few blocks from the virgin megastore, so I'll definitely spend a couple hours in there digging deep for yay!

May 12, 2002
dope.st
Thanks everyone, my hotel should only be a few blocks from the virgin megastore, so I'll definitely spend a couple hours in there digging deep for yay!
It won't be a couple of hours fam, it'll take you 10-15 minute tops to look at every rap CD they got A to Z. It's just like any other regular Virgin Megastore round the world with about 4 sides of CD display stands given over to Hip Hop with the CD's tabbed in labelled dividers alphabetically.

It won't take you too long to be disappointed, I know I was. Try and do some digging and find out if there's an independent spot elsewhere that has OG and harder to find bay CD's. Maybe DJ Pimp knows. I figure there has to be something like that in NYC, I didn't get time to check.

Plus besides the new Beeda Weeda CD ($12) and maybe like one or two of the bootsy Mac Dre/Thizz 100% recycled CD's they had on stickered sale, every other bay CD is like $19 or $20, you're better off seeing if the folks at RapBay will ship an order to your hotel for when you arrive.

Not to big myself up, more to illustrate the point but Virgin really didn't have any bay CD's I didn't already have, the Beeda Weeda CD was the only recent release besides Thizz that it had, other dude it putting a little too much on it to suggest having the Mess CD is 'hella underground'.

They got Thizz, they got Sickwidit, they got a few Mess releases on SMC, they got one old Keak CD and that jacked up 'Word Pimpin' CD put out in his name and that really is it. They don't even have a section for Quinn, Jacka, Team, FAB, or anyone else. HMV in London has more bay music.

On a side note once you've done A to Z, you'll appreciate that however else everyone bashes Thizz since Dre passed, you can't knock the hustle on the distribution front, they really get their shit out there, if you only want to buy Thizz CD's then Virgin got ya. 1

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
or you could just look up on itunes - the worlds changing b.

globalization is good

you can get the yay in timbuktoo if you go the internet

Apr 13, 2005
Hiya folks

virgin megastore is probably your best bet homie, the indie record store is a dying breed. either that or download hella shit off itunes while u are in the states