The Reason for HipHop downfall, and why wack shit is getting out

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 9, 2005
Ever wondered why the hot niggaz aint gettin luv outside and even inside there home state, or wonder why these wack rappers with mediocre to wack beats get played 90 times a hour on the radio station and music video channels.

2 things come into effect
Blacklisting - a list of people viewed with suspicion or disapproval

a lot of cats yall want to hear that got a banger out, it seem like it can blow... but never do, the reason might be becuase they're blacklisted in a lot places for whatever reason. And the music business is a tight community, so you make enemies with the wrong people in the biz...no matter how much talent you got them niggaz can control your career

Payola - the practice of bribing someone to use their influence or position to promote particular product of intrest

This is for them Diddy niggaz, and A&R's who give these Disc Jockey's and Program Director cash under the fuckin table.
self-explanatory on why them wack niggaz get burn on the radio and video channels.

Dec 11, 2005
Big Leak said:
Ever wondered why the hot niggaz aint gettin luv outside and even inside there home state, or wonder why these wack rappers with mediocre to wack beats get played 90 times a hour on the radio station and music video channels.

2 things come into effect
Blacklisting - a list of people viewed with suspicion or disapproval

a lot of cats yall want to hear that got a banger out, it seem like it can blow... but never do, the reason might be becuase they're blacklisted in a lot places for whatever reason. And the music business is a tight community, so you make enemies with the wrong people in the biz...no matter how much talent you got them niggaz can control your career

Payola - the practice of bribing someone to use their influence or position to promote particular product of intrest

This is for them Diddy niggaz, and A&R's who give these Disc Jockey's and Program Director cash under the fuckin table.
self-explanatory on why them wack niggaz get burn on the radio and video channels.
good thread homie.. i agree 100%

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
I see what you saying but at the same time there is a lot of wack dudes crying about no radio too. Bottom line if a artist music is hot enough, the streets will respond and people will talk. Yea major labels do have a lot of power, they can turn anyone into a star but thats why i love doing indie records cause you still release records and not worry about the whole politics of the record industry. feel me

Sep 27, 2005
who gives a fuc, i'm tired of these threads for like 5 years str8 with these niggaz cryin about this shit, everybody knows this, move on......

Nov 8, 2004
www.turfquake.com
actually

u hafta realize there aint no standard for hip hop music
the 1st people "rappin" wasnt sayin shit but shake yo ass and move yo hands side to side
so all that RAP USED TO HAVE A MESSAGE SHIT.. kill it
it didnt have a message until AFTER they told you to shake yo ass and listen to the DJ scratch up the reggae, funk, or disco record

only way to determine whats HOT (to a MAJOR record labels eyes) is what is sellin.. so fuck your message, your street cred, your punchlines, your co-signs.. if it aint SELLIN

if laffy taffy wasnt liked it wouldnt be on tv.. hate it alllll you want.. you probably know all the words

point understood.. but its pretty irrelevant in the 2006 music game

aint none of these bay artists been blacklisted from nobody

if u from the bay.. and you hot.. all DJs from all over the country say u sound like u from the south.. or u sound like u from the east coast.. cuz right now BAY AREA aint associated with good music (in the eyes of the rest of the nation)

Oct 19, 2004
Big Leak said:

This is the only reason right here. All that other shit could be left out!

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Haha yall are just conspirisising, no one is keeping no one down. If lets say for example a Bay rapper could push like 50K without a deal they would get picked up by a major no problem, just look at all them cats from H town that are blowin up cuz their region supports their people a hell of a lot more than people in the bay support their people. Shit in New York a DJ can sell like 50,000 copies of a fuckin mixtape, no one in the bay can pull that shit off with a full album so don't cry cuz we ain't getting put on no major labels. People need to just support their people to the fullest and build up a bigger buzz, our shit gets play on KMEL and shit but I don't hear our shit on the request shows like they did when cuts like "5 on it" and "Playaz Club" were crackin in the 90s. All them rappers from the 90s that blew were able to sell mad units before getting their big deals with Priority, Relitivity, Jive etc, if we did that shit again I bet the deals will roll back in again.

Feb 19, 2003
There's another factor that should be taken into consideration: CD burning. To my knowledge, during the Bay Area's first run at "mainstream" success ('92 to '96-97 or so), people in general still BOUGHT CDS and/or tapes, either at the store or maybe on-line. Computer technology during that time had not yet advanced to the point where CD burning/home copying was a huge trend or easily available to all (or even most).
But once the technology become more readily available around maybe '00-'01, more people started to take advantage of CD burning (although the fact that CD prices at retail outlets rose considerably didn't help). San Quinn said in an interview that CD burning is prevalent on the West Coast and ESPECIALLY Northern Cali (he refered to it as "Silicon Valley Central"), where almost everyone has a computer. Whereas down South, the CD burning habit isn't as huge as it is in Cali--people in Texas, Tennessee, etc. still BUY their local artists' CDs w/ actual green money or perhaps credit cards. Think about it: it stands to reason that there were enough people in, say, Texas who bought (for example) Lil' Flip or Z-Ro's underground stuff in big enough numbers for the major labels to take notice. Otherwise, Southern rappers like them wouldn't BE signed to the majors right now.
Don't get me wrong--there are certainly too many wack rappers clogging the arteries of the Rap game, and payola and politics play big roles in what gets played and what doesn't, but it can't be overlooked that a lot of folks w/ computer access just plain don't BUY the CDs of their favorite Cali rappers/singers anymore. Buying CDs has become replaced by CD burning (and in the last one or two years, just buying individual songs for Ipod use, and I'm not sure if those purchases count as sales in a Soundscan-type manner) in some circles. Just my two cents. Where this trend goes in the future is anyone's guess...

PEACE!

Apr 22, 2005
^^its actually the get money money money mentallity that hurts everything,theres hardly anymore heart in this shit.even back on the day whether a gangsta track or some other shit,the track would sound like muhfuckas dedicated time and thought into the shit

Apr 22, 2005
yeah the two go hand in hand but it stems from that mentallity which is heavily supported by majors,if they tell you whats hot,you make that shit just to sign to them whether you got somethin to say or not and they flash a shiny necklace in ya face like bait,once you bite you just another fish in the pond to them all on they hook,they got more bait then these rappers can rap about too so it aint nothin if you aint doin it right for them anymore,there's plenty more fish in the sea hahahahaha I'm trippin talkin bout all this fish n shit :confused: