The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
“Get outta my face,” Milton Bradley(notes) once told me in a clubhouse in Oakland, which wasn’t unusual.

Over 12 seasons, spread across eight organizations, he had that kind of relationship with a lot of people.

When he wasn’t in theirs’, he was requesting that they get out of his.

Now the Seattle Mariners have told him to get out of their faces, along with their clubhouse. After one full season and six weeks of another, all coming after the Mariners swapped out Carlos Silva’s(notes) bad contract for Bradley’s, Bradley was designated for assignment Monday. The Mariners will end up swallowing about $15 million in the transaction, because nobody’s going to clean up after Jim Hendry’s or Jack Zduriencik’s blind ambitions.

In 101 games in Seattle, Bradley, who turned 33 last month, batted .209. Yes, he was going to get along with manager Eric Wedge this time. Yes, he was going to get help for his anger issues. Yes, he was going to stay on the field. Yes, he was a handful or two.

And yet, in a team environment and having chosen a very public life, Bradley was barely tolerable when he was healthy and hitting. As baseball went, hitting was his redeemable quality, and sometimes he did it well.

Probably, his moods and behavior were not his choices, and that’s why I usually viewed Bradley sympathetically. In so many areas of his life, he seemed to seek the fight. Likely, before it came to him.

He found it in umpires, fans, managers, cops, sportswriters. Reportedly, he found it in companions as well.

Yet, I liked Bradley. We had a mutual friend. We spoke like adults and we kept it as such when I was the national baseball writer for the Los Angeles Times, in a city that – like the others – had turned on him.

So, on a spring afternoon in 2006, months after he’d been traded to the Oakland Athletics, I approached him meaning to say hello, to ask how he was getting along with new teammates and in a new environment.

“Milton,” I said, and held out my hand.

He turned, his eyes darkened, and he spat his favorite words, “Get outta my face.”

“What’s that about?” I asked.

“I saw what you wrote,” he said.

“What I wrote?”

I’d covered his trade to the A’s for the paper. The deal brought Andre Ethier(notes) to the Los Angeles Dodgers. I’d also covered the story of an emergency call from his home to the police after a disturbance with his wife. It was sad, personal stuff that I believed I’d handled professionally and without judgment.

“I saw it,” and then he quoted from a story he’d read supporting the trade of him, “…’Well, at least Andre Ethier’s OPS isn’t .911.’ I saw that.”

“Milton,” I said. “I didn’t write that.”

“Get outta my face,” he repeated, raising his hand and shooing me away.

“All right,” I said. “All I can tell you is the truth. Remember who picked this fight.”

I walked away, never to talk to Bradley again. It was then I realized Bradley would find battles where there were none, that even those who’d taken up his side – out of fairness, sympathy, pity, whatever – were fair game. Maybe he didn’t want to. Maybe he’d regret it. Then, probably, he’d be too proud to admit he was wrong, because there was security in living on the edge of anger, and with the presumption that the world was waiting for him to wobble in order to take another bite out of him.

Now Bradley, on the far edge of his prime, is out of work, carrying a .218 batting average and a reputation for instability. I don’t think he’ll be back.

But now he has what he’s always wished for.

Now everybody is out of his face.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Al8TkR97kso1a5hi_im15og5nYcB?slug=ti-brown_milton_bradley_designated_assignment_seattle_mariners_050911

Aug 24, 2003
wtf @ the end of last nights game, that was fuckin wack
the runner from first touched the runner to second, HE WAS OUT. the runner to second was THROWN OUT. there was 1out, the game was fucking over

then all the umpires got together in a lame ass circle jerk and goofed around for 2 mins and cancelled out peguero throwing out the second base runner like it never happened, and kept the game going at 2 outs? WTF WAS THAT

they tried to keep the padres in the game, after the botched game ending double play by the short stop the padres had momentum swing back to them, then the umpires kept the game going, wtf was that. if we had lost i would have broken my tv

Dec 3, 2005
yeah that was pretty fucked up, at least we still won though. our starters have given up 3 runs in the last 38 innings/5 games, and who the fuck is this bedard guy?

Aug 24, 2003
holy shit, another 4-0 shutout! michael pineda with 99 pitches, 9 strike outs, 1 walk, 2 hits, 0 runs, all th way to the 8th inning. pineda was beasting the padres line up with heat and with one of the nastiest sliders ive seen

our pitching is ON FIRE RIGHT NOW!!
lol over the past few games its been championship caliber pitching

now if only we could start scoring more, and get ourselves over .600 we might actually do something with this year

Dec 3, 2005
well shit were only 1 1/2 games out of first. i think we had 9 strikeouts in a row yesterday? pineda struck out the side twice in a row then got lifted then the reliever struck out the side.

45 innings/6 games/3 earned runs

Feb 14, 2004
M's did it again. Another sweep. I didn't even get to watch any of it either, damn it. Getting closer and closer to .500 and not that far from first.

Just gotta hope that the CWS can win the Rangers series. And Oakland to beat the Angels, with Mariners continueing their winning streak. Which shouldn't be too diffilcult, they play the Twins next, and they're 15-30.

Aug 24, 2003
M's did it again. Another sweep. I didn't even get to watch any of it either, damn it. Getting closer and closer to .500 and not that far from first.

Just gotta hope that the CWS can win the Rangers series. And Oakland to beat the Angels, with Mariners continueing their winning streak. Which shouldn't be too diffilcult, they play the Twins next, and they're 15-30.
lol the mariners traumatized me so much over the past few years i couldnt bear the thought of felix going out there with the pitching as hot as it is and then end up with a loss, so i didnt see the game.

im amped they won though, hell yea

Aug 24, 2003
up coming schedule looks like it could go either way, all home games

we got 3 vs the yankees, who are 27-21
game 1 yankees v pineda who is 6-2, hotter than shit with a 2.16 era
game 2 yankees v hernandez who is 5-4 with a 3.01 era
game 3 yankees v vargas, 3-2 and 3.86 era

we got 3 vs the orioles who are 24-24
game 1 orioles v fister 2-5, 3.18 era
game 2 orioles v bedard 3 -4, 3.48 era, hotter than shit right now
game 3 orioles v pineda

we dont even have to worry about michael pineda or felix hernandez, shit, dont even have to worry about erik bedard the way dude is shutting shit down recently.

im really crossing my fingers the bats catch on fire and carry the M's to wins, rather than counting on world series caliber pitching to show up. its sweet to see ace pitching, but much sweeter when you load up ten runs in an inning and the pitcher can sit back and pitch comfortably. seeing someone strike out nine people through 8 shutout innings and its still only 2 - 0 is unsettling and stressful, and not good long term baseball.