The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 24, 2003
rip dave

Mariners broadcaster Dave Niehaus dies

Dave Niehaus, the Mariners broadcaster since their first season in 1977, has died at age 75.

By Larry Stone

Seattle Times baseball reporter

Dave Niehaus, shown here in his broadcast booth at Safeco Field before an afternoon game in 2009, called the first game the Seattle Mariners played in 1977.

In the crowning moment of his legendary broadcasting career, Dave Niehaus stood on the podium in Cooperstown, N.Y., and saluted the power of his medium.

"Radio plays with the mind," he said upon accepting the Ford C. Frick Award from the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2008. "It gives you a mental workout and delusions of grandeur."

For 34 years in Seattle — the entirety of the Mariners' life span — no one was grander, or more beloved, than Niehaus, who died Wednesday of a heart attack at his home in Bellevue. He was 75.

"This is truly devastating news," Howard Lincoln, the Mariners chairman and CEO, and team President Chuck Armstrong said in a joint statement released by the team. "... Dave has truly been the heart and soul of this franchise since its inception in 1977."

Lured away from the broadcast team of the California Angels at age 42 to become the voice of the expansion Mariners, Niehaus was there from the first pitch in organization history at the Kingdome on April 6, 1977, to the final game of a dismal 2010 season Oct. 3 at Safeco Field.

Niehaus broadcast 5,284 of the 5,385 games played by the Mariners, and did it with contagious enthusiasm. His call of Edgar Martinez's double to beat the Yankees in the 1995 playoffs has been emblazoned in the memory banks, characterized by Niehaus as "my seminal moment." But his audible frustration during poor Mariners performances was just as endearing — and no one witnessed more poor Mariners performances than Niehaus over the years.

Niehaus' catchphrases became buzzwords for generations of Seattle baseball fans: "Fly away!" for home runs," "Get out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma, it's grand salami time!" for grand slams, and "My, oh, my!" for any impressive feat on the field.

"Dave loved baseball and loved the Mariners," former broadcast partner Ron Fairly said. "That 'My, oh, my' was genuine. When the team was not playing well, it tore him up. When the Mariners did run out some really good teams, he was the happiest guy in the world."

Niehaus' death led to an outpouring of appreciation from all corners of the baseball world, but it was felt with particular force in Washington. Gov. Chris Gregoire said in a statement, "Today the Pacific Northwest lost one of its sports icons."

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn said, "Seattle has lost a friend. ... From now on, there will be just two eras of Mariner baseball: the Dave Niehaus era and everything else."

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig called Niehaus "one of the great broadcast voices of our generation, a true gentleman, and a credit to baseball. He was a good friend and I will miss him. ... Dave was a Hall of Famer in every way."

No one had a closer association with Niehaus than Rick Rizzs, his longtime broadcast partner, and Kevin Cremin, producer/engineer on the broadcasts for 28 years.

"What a loss," Rizzs said. "Holy cow. I feel numb. He meant everything to Mariner baseball. Everything. He was not only the voice of the Mariners, he was the Mariners. He was the face of the franchise. When you turned on the radio, everything was right with the world when you heard Dave's voice."

"Dave was the best there ever was," Cremin said. "Best guy, best announcer, best friend. No one could draw you into the moment, the drama of a game, like he could. They broke the mold when they made Dave. His style, his mannerisms, he was one of a kind. He was like a brother, an uncle, a relative to me. He brought me here. It will never be the same without him."

Niehaus often said his most meaningful award was a citation from the Washington Association for the Blind.

"They said their members could see the game through my eyes, which is the ultimate compliment for a broadcaster," he told The Seattle Times in 2006. "And you can only do that on the radio."

Niehaus had a particularly close relationship with the Mariners' greatest player, Ken Griffey Jr., and his calls of Griffey's accomplishments are among his most memorable. Griffey often engaged Niehaus in warm, teasing banter, and admonished Niehaus to lead a healthier lifestyle after his 1996 heart attack.

"He meant everything," Griffey said of Niehaus in an interview Wednesday night on 710 ESPN. "Everybody talks about the players who went there and the players who left, but he made the Mariners who they are. Without him, the guys out there are nothing. Day in and day out, he brought the excitement and drove thousands and millions of people to the ballpark to come watch us."

Niehaus became enamored of baseball while listening to Cardinals' announcer Harry Caray as a child in Princeton, Ind. He was enrolled in Indiana University's dentistry program when he had an epiphany.

"One morning I woke up and thought I couldn't bear staring down someone's throat at 9 o'clock in the morning for the rest of my life," Niehaus told The Times last year. "Then I stopped by the college's radio and television station, and I've been doing this ever since."

Cremin said Wednesday that Niehaus had planned to do a full schedule of Mariners games in 2011. In a 2008 interview, Niehaus said retirement was not in his plans.

"I can't imagine not doing it," he said. "I can imagine not doing it, but you might as well dig a hole and put me in it."

Cremin said Wednesday, "The Voice has been silenced, but we can still hear him. We always will."

Niehaus is survived by wife, Marilyn; their three children, Andy, Matt and Greta; and six grandchildren, Zach, Steven, Madeline, Alexa, Audrey and Spencer.

The family has requested privacy. Services are pending.

Larry Stone: 206-464-3146 or [email protected]. Seattle Times staff reporter Percy Allen contributed to this report.

Nov 17, 2009
me and my homie were driving home from fishin the green rvr lastnight when we found out, it's all bad for the Ms and the fans that grew up off of the Mariners. The game of baseball will never be the same in the NW!!! RIP Dave! The only Mariner hall of famer!!!

Feb 14, 2004
AL Cy Young race is deep in intrigue, candidates

Phillies right-hander Roy Halladay was the unanimous winner of the NL Cy Young Award earlier this week, but the AL vote figures to be much closer.

The AL winner will be announced Thursday afternoon. And the results either will signal a change in philosophy or a reluctance to shy away from a longstanding approach.

In the past, voters have put plenty of weight on a pitcher's win total. In fact, when Giants ace Tim Lincecum won his second consecutive NL Cy Young Award last season, his win total (15) was the lowest ever by a starting pitcher who won the award in a non-strike-shortened season.

If wins still matter most, Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia (21-7) or Rays left-hander David Price (19-6) figures to earn the AL honor this season. But if voters are more willing to consider the total package, Mariners ace Felix Hernandez (13-12) could make history.

Hernandez led the AL in ERA (2.27) and innings pitched (249 2/3), led the majors in quality starts (30) and finished one strikeout shy (232) of the major league lead. But because he pitched for the Mariners, who finished with the AL's worst record (61-101), his win total suffered.

And Hernandez's Cy Young award hopes also might have suffered.

AL Cy Young contenders

CC Sabathia, Yankees: 21-7, 3.18 ERA, 197 K's, 237 2/3 IP

David Price, Rays: 19-6, 2.72 ERA, 188 K's, 208 2/3 IP

Jon Lester, Red Sox: 19-9, 3.25 ERA, 225 K's, 208 IP

Trevor Cahill, A's: 18-8, 2.97 ERA, 118 K's, 196 2/3 IP

Justin Verlander, Tigers: 18-9, 3.37 ERA, 219 K's, 224 1/3 IP

Clay Buchholz, Red Sox: 17-7, 2.33 ERA, 120 K's, 173 2/3 IP

Felix Hernandez, Mariners: 13-12, 2.27 ERA, 232 K's, 249 2/3 IP

Jered Weaver, Angels: 13-12, 3.01 ERA, 233 K's, 224 1/3 IP

Rafael Soriano, Rays: 3-2, 1.73 ERA, 45 saves, 57 K's, 62 1/3 IP

Joakim Soria, Royals: 1-2, 1.78 ERA, 43 saves, 71 K's, 65 2/3 IP

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/fee...-is-deep-in-intrigue-candidates#ixzz15dJobIrX

Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
SEATTLE (AP)—Seattle Mariners outfielder Milton Bradley(notes) is in trouble again.

Bradley was arrested in Los Angeles on a felony charge Tuesday morning and released from jail on $50,000 bail at around 5:45 p.m. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department booking records did not specify the nature of the charge.

The Mariners released a statement late Tuesday night saying they were aware of Bradley’s arrest. General manager Jack Zduriencik said the team was taking the situation “very seriously” and added that the Mariners “are in the process of determining the full circumstances of what occurred today.”

Bradley, a Los Angeles native, has a court appearance scheduled for Feb. 8.

The switch-hitter spent two weeks away from the Mariners in May to deal with emotional issues. He has played for eight clubs in 11 major league seasons marked by boorish behavior, suspensions and repeated run-ins with umpires and managers.

During spring training last year, Bradley called himself the Kanye West of baseball. He was acquired by the Mariners from the Cubs in a December 2009 trade and has one season remaining on the $30 million, three-year contract he signed with Chicago.

A right knee injury ended Bradley’s 2010 season in late July. He batted .205 with eight homers and 29 RBIs in 73 games for Seattle before undergoing arthroscopic surgery to repair a lateral meniscus tear in August.

SMH, Sooooo glad the cubs got rid of him.

Feb 14, 2004
Mariners reach deals with Aardsma, League, Vargas

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Mariners have reached one-year deals with a trio of pitchers, avoiding arbitration with closer David Aardsma, reliever Brandon League and left-hander Jason Vargas.

The Mariners announced the deals on Tuesday, leaving them with their entire roster under contract for the 2011 season.

The 29-year-old Aardsma will get $4.5 million. He has posted 69 saves over the past two seasons. His 31 saves last year were seventh in the American League.

League will get $2.25 million. The 27-year-old topped went 9-7 with a 3.42 ERA and led AL relievers in wins.

The 27-year-old Vargas set career highs in wins (9), innings (192 2-3) and starts (31) last season. He will get $2.45 million.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_bba_mariners_moves.html

Feb 14, 2004
Starting rotation ready for 2011 Seattle Mariners

The 2011 Seattle Mariners starting rotation is ready to go, and some fans might be surprised with the final result. Mariners manager Eric Wedge has tapped rookie Michael Pineda(notes) for the No. 5 spot in the rotation, giving the young pitcher a chance to prove himself early.

The final announcement came Monday, March 28, and it brings an end to some stiff competition for that final slot in the rotation. It could also force Pineda to come up big for the Mariners right away, because the front office isn't going to stand for the same losing that the team went through in 2010. There is no reason to think that Pineda won't succeed, as he just finished off a spectacular Spring Training performance.

Pineda posted a 2.12 ERA in 17 innings for the Mariners, striking out 15 batters during his time on the mound this spring. For a 22-year-old rookie, those are pretty amazing statistics, and even though they don't count, it gives fans every reason to be high on Pineda. Having him at the end of the rotation might remove some of the stressors, but his Major League debut is one that will also come on the road. It also comes against the defending American League champions on Tuesday, April 5.

The rest of the rotation will consist of Felix Hernandez(notes), Jason Vargas(notes), Doug Fister(notes), and Erik Bedard(notes) (in that order). It's not a bad starting rotation, even if it doesn't come with the same buzz that the Mariners had with Cliff Lee(notes) in the fold last year. All of the pitchers performed pretty well in spring training, so at least it seems like they are ready to do better in the 2011 season than what we saw in 2010. Both Fister and Hernandez had a rough game to their credit, but hopefully they were able to work out the kinks.

It would be great if the end of the rotation can be as good during the year as they were in spring, especially if Bedard and Pineda can find that same success. Bedard started five games and only gave up two runs in his 16 innings of work, posting three wins in those games. It's hard not to be optimistic about the direction that the staff is heading, even if there are still question marks about how many runs the offense can provide them this season.

Led by the American League Cy Young Award winner and anchored by a rookie that could reach 100 mph from the mound this season, the Mariners look to provide some excitement on the mound in 2011.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-8168645