The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 1, 2002
Raiders free agents quandary

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, February 16th, 2012 at 12:38 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders have a penchant for re-signing a majority of their prospective free agents. Doing so this season won’t be nearly as easy, given they have 22 such players, they are $11 million over the salary cap and there is a burning need to sign a few players in free agency.
Here is a breakdown of how new coach Dennis Allen and first-year general manager Reggie McKenzie figure to approach the daunting task of what to do with the long list:
Easy calls — Two of those names can be crossed off the list simply by offering restricted free agents Marcel Reece and Desmond Bryant one-year tenders. Both players are young, productive and won’t cost much.
The Raiders can let walk quarterbacks Jason Campbell and Kyle Boller, defensive end Trevor Scott, safety Jerome Boyd, cornerback Lito Sheppard, linebackers Ricky Brown, Quentin Groves and Darryl Blackstock and wide receivers T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chaz Schilens.
They already have a starting quarterback in Carson Palmer and a No. 3 in Terrelle Pryor. Signing someone such as David Garrard would take care of the primary backup spot.
There is no burning need to bring back for any of the eight other veterans who are eligible to become free agents March 13.
Tough calls — Running back Michael Bush wants to be a starting running back. He realizes that isn’t apt to happen in Oakland as long as Darren McFadden is on the roster.
Therefore, Bush likely won’t be interested in a long-term contract. Given that, the Raiders have to decide whether they want to use the franchise tag on Bush, to the tune of $7.7 million or so for 2012.
McKenzie has a history of working for a team that finds unheralded running backs and develops them into productive players. He also has McFadden and Taiwan Jones on the roster.
That makes it unlikely that Bush will be franchise-tagged. If so, the only other player who might get that designation is strong safety Tyvon Branch.
It’s more likely that the Raiders will try to work out a long-term contract with Branch so that they can avoid committing a ton of money to Branch for 2012, when they need to use some of that money on other players.
Center Samson Satele was re-signed last year and started all season. It’s possible that the Raiders will switch second-year player Stefen Wisniewski from left guard to center and try someone else at guard. If not, look for Satele to be re-signed.
Toss-ups — Offensive linemen Stephon Heyer and Khalif Barnes, defensive end Jarvis Moss, safety Matt Giordano and running back Rock Cartwright played key roles last season.
Re-signing any of those players likely will depend upon their willingness to return at a modest price and whether they receive better offers elsewhere.
Once Allen and McKenzie sort out this mess, then they can turn their attention toward free agents from other teams.
As of now, the Raiders are in the market for a cornerback, wide receiver, linebacker and defensive lineman. Freeing up enough cap space will be key to placing the Raiders in a position to go after some of the top-tier players expected to hit the open market next month.
That process is underway right now. The Raiders can reach cap compliance by the March 13 deadline by cutting a few more players and/or restructuring wieghty contracts of players such as Palmer, linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, cornerback Chris Johnson, defensive tackles John Henderson and Tommy Kelly and free safety Michael Huff.
Here is the entire list of Oakland’s prospective free agents:

QB Jason Campbell
QB Kyle Boller
*FB Marcel Reece
RB Michael Bush
RB Rock Cartwright
WR Chaz Schilens
WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh
C Samson Satele
OT Khalif Barnes
OT Stephon Heyer
*DE Desmond Bryant
DE Trevor Scott
DE Jarvis Moss
LB Ricky Brown
LB Quentin Groves
LB Darryl Blackstock
CB Lito Sheppard
CB Stanford Routt
FS Matt Giordano
SS Tyvon Branch
SS Jerome Boyd
DB Bryan McCann

*Restricted

Jun 23, 2005
The Raiders have difficult decisions with linebackers Aaron Curry ($5.75 million base salary) and Rolando McClain, whose off-field issues and attitude may have worn out his welcome with new GM Reggie McKenzie trying to establish a new mentality as Oakland's general manager. Kamerion Wimbley, another highly paid Raiders linebacker (due to make $11 million in 2012), is not interested in taking a pay cut to stay, league sources said. Oakland defensive lineman Tommy Kelly ($6 million base) is another potential cap target. The Raiders are likely to restructure Richard Seymour's massive deal, as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-highlight-cap-casualty-season?module=HP11_cp

i think he's gone for sure. especially if he doesn't want to restructure. another over paid player. he would of only had 3 sacks if it wasnt for that horrible line of the chargers.

Dec 4, 2006
Translation: The Giants loss still stings so talking bad about the Raiders makes me feel better....

lol S @smkblnt925 being able to beat the Chargers to go into the playoffs, but let the Tebow in the playoffs..

ha ha

face it kid! The Raiders will be a shitty team for the next season...that's a fact!

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
^ Really still going on about this shit we didnt win shit you didnt win shit end it jesus christ you crab ass 49er fans bitch about raider fans in your threads yet your always in a raiders one talking bout we won this this n this... news flash NYG won the superbowl so thats all that matters u can win all the games all year but when it comes to the real game u didnt even make it so shut the fuck up already fucking shit man

Jun 23, 2005
I think we should keep Wimbley. Especially if we plan on implementing the 3-4. Dude is a beast and will validate that contract.
Although I do think he could do better in a 3-4 scheme, i don't think he deserves it if he's not willing to restructure. He has one move that lil shoulder dip while rushing the passer. I'm sure be could be easily replaced for a lot less

Mar 8, 2008
Raiders part ways with longtime executive John Herrera

By Jerry McDonald
jmcdonald[USER=76253]@BAYAREA[/USER]newsgroup.com
Posted: 02/16/2012 05:43:15 PM PST
Updated: 02/16/2012 06:54:47 PM PST

The Raiders and senior executive John Herrera have parted ways. (D. Ross Cameron/Staff)
The Raiders have parted ways with senior executive John Herrera, who has served the organization as a spokesman and in a front office capacity for the better part of his adult life.
According to someone familiar with the situation, the decision was made on the business side of the Oakland operation, and not by general manager Reggie McKenzie or coach Dennis Allen.
Herrera could not be reached for comment, and Raiders officials had no comment.
The first clue Herrera's role had changed came Wednesday, when McKenzie held an off-the-record meeting with an informal lunch with Bay Area beat writers, and Herrera was not in attendance.
Herrera joined the Raiders out of high school, hired by owner Al Davis
to run errands, and eventually moved up in the operations, leaving for stints with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and as a general manager in the Canadian Football League but eventually returning in 1985.
He was known as a fierce defender of Davis, which prompted the occasional run-in with writers covering the team, most notably a confrontation with San Jose Mercury News columnist Tim Kawakami that was caught on film and became a popular YouTube stop.
Since Davis died on Oct. 8, and the transfer of power went to son Mark Davis and he made McKenzie his general manager, Herrera's departure is likely to be only one of several moves as the organization is restructured.
A source familiar with the situation said Hall of Fame cornerback
Advertisement

Willie Brown, a longtime Raiders employee who has been in charge of ``squad development'' and has assisted coaches, will remain with the team, but his role is being ``redefined.''
In other news, the Raiders have signed Brandon Underwood, a defensive back who last played for the Green Bay Packers. He was a sixth-round draft pick by Green Bay in 2009, where McKenzie worked in the personnel department.
Underwood's time with the Packers was marred by off-the-field issues, with two arrests in domestic disputes. He played in 23 games in two years, mostly on special teams.

RM aint playing!!!

Dec 4, 2006
^ Really still going on about this shit we didnt win shit you didnt win shit end it jesus christ you crab ass 49er fans bitch about raider fans in your threads yet your always in a raiders one talking bout we won this this n this... news flash NYG won the superbowl so thats all that matters u can win all the games all year but when it comes to the real game u didnt even make it so shut the fuck up already fucking shit man
expect another shitty season.............enough said!

Dec 4, 2006
either put your money where your mouth is or bounce the fuck out the thread, point blank period.
$100 the raiders finish below the 49ers again.......scary man never wins! ask Sol 1! he refused my $250 dollar bet and offered me a chump change $50 dollar bet because he knew better than that....

you ready breh? because I am!

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
HA HA HA HA HA

4-12 or 6-10 ........ ha ha
lol....put $ on that!
you completely ignored that

$100 the raiders finish below the 49ers again.......scary man never wins! ask Sol 1! he refused my $250 dollar bet and offered me a chump change $50 dollar bet because he knew better than that....

I don't know how many times I have to explain this to you, but I don't care about the 49ers. We are in a Raiders thread, you either bet on the Raiders or get out the thread. you said double digit losses, you wanna put that $100 that we'll get 10+ losses?

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
The oakland raiders have just signed former packer Brandon Underwood, who the fuck is brandon underwood?
He was a late round corner that we switched to safety who's biggest moment here was getting arrested for rape haha. Turned out he just stole some hos purses tho. They cried rape cuz he banged them and stole their purses which is a pretty cool thing to do. Plus his wife is hot.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005

I propped this post on accident. I wish I could remove props like the old props.