THE OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2009 OFFSEASON THREAD

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 1, 2002
Saturday a.m. quick hits
By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, August 1st, 2009 at 12:26 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Quick hits from Saturday morning’s practice session:

– Practice was heavy in red zone work, and again plays were not carried out to their conclusion _ sort of like watching a batting practice where the hitter loads and prepares as if he’s going to strike, and then watches the pitch go by every time.

Or a jump-shooter who works on his form all the way up to the point where he rises for the shot _ and then holds on to the ball.

We’ll have at least some idea come Monday if the approach is paying off. Flash back to the Art Shell season in 2006, when the offense continually made its way to the line of scrimmage, then disbanded in confusion, went back to the huddle and started over. It happened all the time, the offense never jelled, and the season was a disaster.

When the Raiders start hitting Monday, they’ve already positioned themselves for every play they’ll run in practice and snapped the ball.

As tedious as it can be to watch for an outsider (and for you to read about), it’s an approach worth trying considering the way the Raiders have started the season the past few years.

– If the dress rehearsals make no difference, it’s simply another wrinkle which will probably be junked, much as Lane Kiffin’s morning-night-afternoon practice rotation was this season. (The Raiders would practice in the morning and at 7 p.m. on double days, always followed by a single practice in the mid-afternoon).

In 2007 and 2008, Kiffin and the players talked about how the practice schedule offered better recovery time, was more conducive to learning and helped keep players healthy.

A year later, Cable believes the approach made the Raiders too soft.

– The Raiders are getting maximum reps by putting the first team offense against the first team defense on one field and the second team offense and the second team defense squaring off on the other.

Quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett and Cable were with the first team, passing game coordinator Ted Tollner with the second team.

– Interesting wrinkle in a goal line defense _ the linebackers were Jon Alston, Ricky Brown and Thomas Howard, with Kirk Morrison watching from the back of the end zone.

– Lorenzo Neal was limping around at one point, favoring an ankle, but the fact that he never came off the field indicates it’s probably not worth worrying about.

– Tommy Kelly had his fifth offsides offense in five practices, with Tony Stewart getting a false start.

– Watched linebackers run a drill where they hit a blocking sled, moved laterally to a boulder-sized ball, pushed off the ball, and then ran into one of their fellow linebackers with a blocking pad.

Coach Mike Haluchak wanted to see a low center of gravity against the sled, lifting it into the air, then use both hands to push off the ball.

No lost a battle to the ball, something which happened more than once to former Raider Tyler Brayton, who occasionally wound up on the ground.

– No sign of Derrick Burgess, and Cable isn’t discussing it other than to say the Raiders are moving on with their season. He declined to say if Burgess is being fined.

– In passing drills against no defense, Darrius Heyward-Bey had occasionally lacked fluidity and struggled to catch the ball. Not on every play, mind you, but at present he’s less consistent than fellow rookie Louis Murphy.

More notes and quotes to come later before the afternoon session . . .

Jun 1, 2002
Mario has Russell’s back
Saturday, August 1st, 2009 at 2:41 pm in Oakland Raiders.

News and notes from Saturday’s interview sessions:

If JaMarcus Russell is bothered by the growing national perception that he’s an underachiever and approaching bust status, he hides it well.

When Russell met with the media Friday, he talked about the demands of being a starting NFL quarterback and No. 1 overall pick and appeared to understand that some of the criticism would be over the top.

The heat Russell takes seemed to bother left tackle Mario Henderson more than it did Russell. Henderson, responsible for Russell’s blind side on the field, has his back off the field.

“I can be sitting at home watching TV and hear that, ‘JaMarcus hasn’t done this, he hasn’t done that,” ” Henderson said. “People don’t know that he has made such great strides since coming into the league, it’s amazing.

“He came into camp late, he only played the last three or four games our rookie year, last year technically was his rookie year, so the strides he has made are amazing. He’s more of a vocal leader and it’s a great feeling to see how he has matured.”

Russell conceded to being a little heavy, but Henderson doesn’t see a problem in that area, either.

“He could have been one of those guys who said, ‘Everyone’s against me,’ he could have been one of the guys who didn’t work hard,” Henderson said. “Yet, he took all the negativity a nd what people are saying and made it a positive.

“He did a great job getting his weight down. JaMarcus is a big guy. Somebody sees JaMarcus and they say, ‘Yeah, JaMarcus looks like he’s out of shape.’ He’s 6-5, you know what I’m saying? He’s a big guy but he’s not (fat).”

Wide receiver Johnnie Lee Higgins sees a difference in the way Russell carries himself.

“He’s more vocal. He’s more animated. He’s more into reads,” Higgins said. “If he does something wrong, he’ll say `My bad.’ If you do something bad he’ll tell you. It’s more of a relationship.”

– Ricky Brown, the terminally mild-mannered linebacker who has a bit of an edge once he’s in the middle of things, surmises things may be a little different Monday after being asked why he hasn’t gotten into any scrapes.

“I am sure when shoulder pads come on something will happen,” Brown said. “Get those chemicals mixing around.”

– Although Brown as on the field with Thomas Howard and Jon Alston during one goal line sequence, he believes he and Kirk Morrison will eventually be middle linebackers on the eventual goal line unit.

– Cable continued to stress first- and second team designations mean little during the four days of dress rehearsals

“There’s really no competition like that going on,” Cable said. “So, that’s a good question again for next weekend.”

– It was all hush-hush a year ago when Lane Kiffin warned reporters not to let on that Darren McFadden was being used in the Wildcat formation, even though it was an open secret a handful of teams were doing it and that McFadden had done it at Arkansas.

So we can probably assume there will be some Wildcat this year, but it hasn’t been shown yet.

“I think there’s a whole package of that you can do,” Cable said. “Right now what I want to do is just get our base installation in and then the situations taught, which is where we’re at right now, and then from there, that’s down the road. That’s kind of extra.”

Another solid theory _ layer in the fundamental plays and offense before getting clever.

Will check in with a brief post following the second practice . . .

Jun 1, 2002
Saturday p.m. quick hits
Saturday, August 1st, 2009 at 6:52 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Some quick hits from Saturday’s second practice:

– Got a good look at an extended passing session for the first time and was mostly impressed.

Other than one sequence near midfield where a few balls hit the ground, throws from JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye were sharper than anything I saw during the mandatory minicamp and OTA practices which were open to the media.

Not against live defenses yet, but progress.

– Chaz Schilens made a leaping catch along the left sideline on a pass from Frye that drew hoots and hollars from his teammates. Darrius Heyward-Bay ran a post-corner route to a cone placed 25 yards downfield on the sideline, caught the ball over his shoulder and tapped both feet inbounds.

Heyward-Bey was spent some time on his own with a member of the support staff, who was throwing him passes from behind with Heyward-Bey on his knees, looking forward, then looking back at the last instant attempting to make the catch.

– Jeff Garcia did no throwing that I saw in the second session and had only a handful of snaps in team sessions where throwing was not required.

– Two more “learning intensive” dress rehearsal practices today and a very brief walkthrough (not in uniform) Monday morning before the first padded practice at 3:30 p.m.

It appears full-contact pracitces will be held at 3:30 p.m. with morning walkthroughs. I’ll post the week’s schedule when I receive it.

– Two fans who live in a complex over an end zone fence watched practice, alternately sipping beers and using their cell phones to snap photos. In the past, fans have been asked to leave areas in the second story of the Marriott with a view so they don’t get a look.

– Tom Cable continues to warn not to read too much into first- and second teams, but it’s worth noting Jay Richardson has been a spectator much of the time. Ryan Boschetti, signed as a defensive tackle, was getting more work at end.

– Stanford Routt and Michael Huff got a lot of first-team work at the expense of Chris Johnson and Hiram Eugene.

– Oren O’Neal was wearing a baseball hat through much of Saturday’s sessions, making it questionable whether he’ll be part of the full-contact practice Monday.

– Little chance for injury in these workouts, but there was one brief scare when Gerard Warren went down for a for a few moments, only to rise and never miss a snap.

Jun 1, 2002
`Learning phase’ nearly complete
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 at 12:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Some quick hits from Sunday morning’s practice:

– Seven down, one to go before Raiders put the pads on for the first time Monday afternoon. They’ll have a brief morning walkthrough before getting serious at 3:30 p.m.

– Quarterback Jeff Garcia has done very little in the last two days, mostly being a spectator while JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye get all the work.

Nothing to be concerned about, coach Tom Cable said. It’s simply the way Garcia, 39, does things at this point in his career. Garcia said he was simply making sure he would be fresh for Monday.

– There were at least two more circus catches by wide receiver Chaz Schilens, who goes in to Monday’s padded practice as “Most likely to succeed” among the wideouts.

– Also some smooth work from top draft pick Darrius Heyward-Bey, who has clanked a a few in previous sessions nd trapped some passes against his body rather than get him with his hand.

During team drills, where passes weren’t thrown, Heyward-Bey found himself running a lot of snaps with the first team against Nnamdi Asomugha.

– Looks like some players are getting anxious to start hitting. Passing game coordinator Ted Tollner was dissatisfied with how the skill position were aligned in a seven-on-seven drill.

“Line up again! Solo-left-twin, let’s go again,’’ Tollner said.

As the play unfolded, Tollner said, “There’s the window right there! . . . C’mon guys, let’s wake up.’’

– On the next play, good news.

“Good Marcel (Reece), we like that matchup!’’

OK, the bad news. He was matched against second-round draft pick Mike Mitchell.

– Quarterback JaMarcus Russell twice came away from a seven-on-session workout to have his leg stretched and looked uncomfortable for a few snaps, but returned later and Cable said there were no issues with anybody.

– Undrafted rookie free agent rookie Jonathan Compas was being pushed by _ of all people _ place kicker Sebastian Janikowski.

“Let’s go (No.) 62, I’m watching you!,’’ Janikowski said.

— Chris Morris got in a lot of work with the first team at left guard in place of Robert Gallery.

Jun 1, 2002
Barnes not in `right’ frame of mind
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 at 2:45 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Notes and quotes from Sunday’s morning practice:

Raiders coach Tom Cable hasn’t broached the subject with either man, but was asked Sunday if he has considered asking Mario Henderson or Khalif Barnes to move to right tackle.

“I am,” Cable said, “because I’ll pick the best five guys, however that all works out.”

Barring injury, the job almost certainly belongs to Henderson. He was given the Al Davis seal of approval when Tom Cable was hired as head coach, noting how he handled Richard Seymour, Mario Williams and then Gaines Adams after taking over for Kwame Harris.

Cable has already put Henderson in the lead publicly instead of citing an even competition. The only time he got with the first unit was in a short-yardage situation as a second left-tackle called a “tank.” Left tackle is Henderson’s job to lose, and odds are he’s not going to lose it.

So here comes Barnes, who was sold on the notion of a one-year, $1.3 million contract to rebuild his reputation after a shaky season in Jacksonville, where his season was similar to the one which ended Harris’ one-year run in Oakland. Too many penalties, too many sacks allowed.

Some scouts believe Barnes’ best position would be at right tackle. Problem is, it was clear Barnes isn’t one of them given the way he answered the question when asked if he would be comfortable switching to the right side if Henderson prevails on the left.

“To be honest with you, no,” Barnes said. “I haven’t did a right-side kick since I was in college. I just _ I’ve been so used to being in this stance for so long, it’d be awkward to be over there. So, I mean, I don’t know man.”

Left or right, Barnes said the topic was never discussed in free agency.

“They didn’t really say anything,” Barnes said. “I didn’t really ask either.”

Barnes figures its way too early to be conceding starting positions and is still learning the system and his teammates. For now, he’s enjoying his surroundings.

“There’s something about the shield and playing for the shield,” Barnes said. “I liked the Raiders as a kid. I’m happy to be here. So, I’m going to do what I can to stay and try to become an important role on this team.”

More notes and quotes:

– While their crossbay rivals were doing pit drills on the first day of practice, Cable has no intention of putting the Raiders through an “Oklahoma” man-to-man combat drill at any time during camp.

“That’s just not constructive and what we want to do is our thing against each other, get it as fast and as violent as we can but also taking care of each other,” Cable said.

– Center Samson Satele, traded to the Raiders by the Dolphins after starting 32 games in two years, gives his surgically-repaired shoulder its first test Monday. Satele has taken virtually every snap with the first team ahead of John Wade.

“The guys in the training room did a good job and I feel pretty good about it right now, but we’ll see tomorrow,” Satele said.

The Dolphins opted for Raiders free agent Jake Grove rather than give Satele a third season as a starter.

“You know I tell everybody it’s a business, you can work every day of your life and your boss can cut you or fire you,” Satele said. “ Same thing in the NFL. They wanted get Jake (Grove) so I am here in a better place it worked out better for me and I hope it worked out for him too.”

– Ryan Boschetti has gotten some work at end as well as tackle, and the ability to do both could determine whether he sticks on the 53-man roster.

“He’s been inside and outside, (we’ll) see if he can do that here if he’s going to be a Raider,” Cable said.

“The past four days we’re just going through, I don’t want to say the motions, but probably 50 percent, getting your reads, getting your stuff right. We’re pretty anxious to put the pads on and start banging heads,” _ linebacker Ricky Brown on the start of padded practices.

“We’ve gone through the learning period and it’s time to go play some real football and start hitting. I think everybody is waiting for the afternoon practice to be over and lace ‘em up Monday,” linebacker and special teams player Isaiah Ekejiuba on the same topic.

– “Kind of saving things for tomorrow to get out there and be fresh. Being a little older these days, kind of letting the other guys get some good work and mental work and physical work. We’re not doing a whole lot of throwing anyways,” quarterback Jeff Garcia on why he did very little in practice.

Jun 1, 2002
Walker ascends, DHB struggles
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 at 7:02 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Quick hits from the final practice of the “learning phase” of Raiders training camp:

– What went on in the workout area Sunday evening was more interesting than anything that was taking place on the field.

Wide receiver Javon Walker, who two days before talked talked with unbridled optimism about his health and claimed to be in the prime of his career, looked to be at least something approaching that as he put on a show with a member of the Raiders athletic training staff.

Walker ran at what looked to be full speed with an effortless glide. He ran short and intermediate patterns, at one point reaching back on a short crossing route and snatching a pass with his left hand without slowing down.

He ran patterns 25 to 30-yard downfield, reaching out and catching the ball at his highest point with good acceleration. Walker dropped exactly one pass that I saw during a drill in which he ran directly forward at the passer on a controlled run.

After the pass-catching was done, Walker was jumping over a series of obstacles set in his path with explosive leaps, showing no sign of a limp. He then jumped and twisted over each obstacle, a drill which would surely cause some pain to a defective knee.

Instead, Walker appeared buoyant as his session concluded, taking off on a run to join his teammates on the field for the end of practice.

When it comes to Walker, I’ve been one of the biggest skeptics since the moment he signed during free agency last year. Now I’m curious and cautiously optimistic.

If the Raiders suddenly have a physical veteran receiver who could get 50-plus catches, 800-plus yards and get in the end zone, it’s a huge bonus. And frankly, a bargain, considering he renegotiated his contact downward to $4.6 million over the next two years.

From free agent bust to Comeback Player of the Year?

Not so fast, but Walker’s progress is suddenly a story worth watching closely. Walker said as camp opened he thought he’d be out two weeks.

Depending on how he feels, the Raiders might consider moving that up and could always keep Walker out of padded practices and easing him in to no-contact sessions.

– Meanwhile, rookie No. 7 overall pick Darrius Heyward-Bey struggled to catch the ball, at one point leaving three catchable passes on the ground, one time punting a drop into the air in frustration. Keep in mind none of these plays came against defenders. That won’t happen until Monday’s first padded practice at 3:30 p.m.

Heyward-Bey gave his Rickey Dudley impression in the presence of Al Davis, who was driven over in a golf cart to talk to Heyward-Bey afterward. Also present was wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal.

Rest assured, the more Heyward-Bey struggles, the more Lal will be held responsible.

Heyward-Bey had looked more fluid and sure-handed in the morning session.

– Heyward-Bey wasn’t alone. Will Franklin has struggled catching the ball, and even sure-handed Darren McFadden had a deep throw from Russell fall to the ground.

– Also getting an audience with Davis following practice were linemen Greg Ellis, Trevor Scott and Jay Richardson, with Ellis sticking around for an extended conversation.

– While waiting to see if Davis had anything to say to the media regarding Derrick Burgess or anything else (he didn’t _ reporters were ushered out before he left the practice area) coach Tom Cable walked past and said, “Why don’t you guys go out and have some fun. Or come and watch some film _ your choice.”

I’m going to assume he was kidding about the film.

I’m passing on the morning walkthrough and will file again following the padded practice. I’ll file occasional updates on my Twitter page.

Apr 25, 2002
Thanks for the articles S1. 3 players Ill be keeping a close eye on this season...Chaz Schilenz, Mario Henderson and Trevor Scott..I predict atliest one of them has a break out year.

May 15, 2002
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/08/02/chargers-jackson-likely-to-avoid-09-suspension

The chances of Raiders WR Javon Walker becoming a major contributor this season continue to diminish. He was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list at the start of training camp while he continues to rehab from offseason knee surgery, and he told reporters that it will be two or three weeks before he's able to participate. Head coach Tom Cable indicated he had no specific time in mind for his return, but it's clear the team is prepared to move forward with Chaz Schilens, Johnnie Lee Higgins and rookies Darrius Heyward-Bey and Louis Murphy as its top four receivers.

May 15, 2002
From ESPN insider rumors

DEPTH CHART: Cable to feed McFadden
Darren McFadden | Raiders
Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable says he wants to get 2008 first-round draft pick Darren McFadden a lot more touches, reports the Oakland Tribune.

"He's a real key for us," Cable said of the running back. "When you look at us when we used him many ways, not just as a runner, but many ways, we were much, much better offensively. So (the goal is) to expand on that role and make him a key part of what we're trying to do."

More touches for McFadden means fewer for Justin Fargas, who led the team in rushing yards last season with 853 to McFadden's 499.

Cable even said McFadden could get looks at wide receiver in attempt to get his best player the ball as much as possible.

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
Raider nation celebration this saturday from 1pm to 5pm.......Parking and admission are free........Has anyone ever been to 1 before......I thought about going the last 2 year but didnt make it........Im gonna put that thought into action and take my kids out there..........

Jan 18, 2006
^^^ they will be better then the queefs and donkeys. Its amazing how many people got the Raiders on there mind that arent Raider fans. Look at how many god damn Raider topics there are, talk about overkill.

Jun 1, 2002
Raider nation celebration this saturday from 1pm to 5pm.......Parking and admission are free........Has anyone ever been to 1 before......I thought about going the last 2 year but didnt make it........Im gonna put that thought into action and take my kids out there..........

I'VE WENT THE LAST COUPLE YEARS.. IT'S KIND OF WACK.

Sep 5, 2006
Monday camp notes
A late practice and early newspaper deadlines means a much later blog than hoped for.

Tomorrow's paper story is about the struggles of Darrius Heyward-Bey, as defined by another four drops and outward signs of frustration.

This space will deal with everything else from the much-anticipated first camp practice with pads, contacts and plays since the Raiders reported to Napa six days ago.

** Backup quarterback Jeff Garcia, 39, is hurt after all. After saying Garcia was not hurt Sunday, Raiders coach Tom Cable said he is hurt after all.

Garcia missed a fourth straight practice with what is now called a strained calf. He is day to day.

Charlie Frye and Bruce Gradkowski shared second-team snaps. Frye looks more accurate and fluid than the other but is behind in the playbook because of his later signing.

** New defensive coordinator John Marshall had his troops bring the blitz all day Monday -- for two reasons.

One, to prepare JaMarcus Russell for the inevitable when the Chargers come to town. And two, to prepare the Raiders to return the favor.

The defense got to the quarterback five times in six plays during team drills. The middle linebacker blitzed the most, with Kirk Morrison bringing it three times.

For those wanting running back Justin Fargas to go away, it should be noted no back picked up the blitz as well as he did. One of his pickups made a deep completion to DHB possible (yes, he had more catches than drops).

** Strong safety Tyvon Branch is really fast. He lined up against Darren McFadden, who was split wide right for a go route. Branch matched him stride for stride on the deep incompletion.

** Rookie free safety Mike Mitchell did nothing noticeable. He did end up on the ground in coverage once on a different deep throw to McFadden.

** Cable blew up during the first team drill. When fullback Luke Lawton did not do whatever it was he was supposed to do, Cable lit into him loud as can be like never heard before by reporters.

After four days of teaching, mental mistakes were not taken lightly. It's worth mentioning there were no false starts, offsides or fumbles.

** Undrafted receiver Nick Miller was the star of the day, if only for racing past Hiram Eugene and Chris Johnson and running down a tumbling catch downfield in double coverage.

** Left tackle Mario Henderson beat defensive end Trevor Scott on consecutive pass-rush drills in a one-on-one format. Scott was on the ground both times.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I was thinking that was a good idea and I might do the same
I'VE WENT THE LAST COUPLE YEARS.. IT'S KIND OF WACK.
but then I read that......I mean, was it at least coo for kids? My son wants to go to a Raider game and I'm not sure when to take him....he's 5 and the Raider games I've been to didn't seem all that kid friendly....I'm not expecting it to be the greatest thing ever but I don't wanna go if it's a complete waste of time

Sep 5, 2006
when jamarcus is firing that ball at you 150 mph it might be a little difficult lol...i think he will get together once they find a groove and errybodys comfortable, they say javon is killing it full speed which is good to hear. schilens is the 1 im anxious to see.

Jun 1, 2002
DHB unfazed by inconsistent start
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 at 8:18 pm in Oakland Raiders.

It was well after 7 p.m. by the time Darrius Heyward-Bey made his way out of the field house and headed toward the Napa Marriott and his dinner.

Most, if not all of his teammates were already eating, relaxing, playing ping pong and taking break before the evening meetings. Feeling sorry for himself, perhaps? Heyward-Bey had endured another practice where the ball ended up on the ground on as many as four occasions where it probably should have been in his hands.

“He is just pressing,” Raiders coach Tom Cable said. “He wants to impress you. That’s what it is.”

But there were also at least two catches in the deep middle where he got to show off the “Raider speed’ which made him the No. 7 overall pick in the draft. It’s worth noting that the reason Heyward-Bey was late is that the training staff was making sure he maintained that speed.

Far more important than the early drops is the fact that Heyward-Bey’s legs appear fine. He’s taking a lot of reps with the first team and exploding off the ball. A hamstring pull derailed his progress during the mandatory minicamp and OTAs.

“I feel I have that burst I always had and I’m just staying on top of it,” Heyward-Bey said. “That’s why I’m the last person walking out of here, they’re still making sure they’re working on it, stretching it out so it’s not a problem throughout the season.”

As for the dropped passes, Heyward-Bey shrugged them off, as did his teammates.

“He’s very anxious to succeed. I don’t know anyone who’s not going to be anxious to succeed, but I told him make it easy for yourself,” quarterback JaMarcus Russell said. “Sometimes you jump for passes you don’t have to. The ball’s going to be in places where you expect it to be so just run through your routes and do what got you here.”

Heyward-Bey resists the notion that he’s trying to do too much or affected by the pressure.

“I wouldn’t say I’m pressing,” Heyward-Bey said. “I’m just trying to work through the kinks. That’s football, it happens.”

After Saturday’s second session, Al Davis came over to offer a pep talk.

“He just told me, `We know how you play. We know you play in practice. Just keep doing what you do,’ ” Heyward-Bey said. “I know what I’ve been doing for the last three years in college, and when I was in high school. I know how to prepare for games and I know what to expect out of myself when it comes to the preseason games and regular season games.”

Philosophically, the Raiders figure they can work on his hands. What they can’t teach is the speed.

“Anytime he comes off the ball if you’re pressing him — first of all, he’s not a guy you want to press all the time because of his speed — but when you’re pressing him, anytime he comes off the ball, he comes off confident, like, “I know that I can run by you.” You can tell that from him so that can put fear in a corner,” cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said. “I think that’s going to help him in the long run…in the short run, actually. It’s going to help him soon.”

Said Heyward-Bey: “I’m confident. I mean, like I said before, it’s football. You’re going to catch some, you’re going to drop some. I’m still going to come off 110 miles per hour. I’m still going to run past you, I don’t care who you are.”

More practice news, notes and quotes to come . .