The Oakland Athletics

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Athletics right-hander Grant Balfour is receiving trade interest, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. The Australian has a 2.85 ERA and 266 strikeouts in 243 innings over the last four seasons and, if he remains with the A's, is a candidate to replace Andrew Bailey as Oakland's closer in 2012
And I'd say this will be probably be Suzuki's last season too...

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
And I'd say this will be probably be Suzuki's last season too...
...I'd run a tandem of Balfour and Fuentes this season up until the trade deadline when their value would be the highest, then start to bring in De Los Santos, who should be their closer for the coming future. Suzuki's numbers keep slipping, he's getting older, and he's starting to be a liability throwing runners out. Since the idea is to stay younger, and the have Norris and Stassi behind Kurt.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
The A’s are talking to Cody Ross
The A’s are currently in talks to sign former Giants postseason hero Cody Ross, a source has confirmed to me. It proves that Billy Beane follows me on twitter.

Presumably it would be a one-year deal, as they look for someone to add just a little experience to their outfield.

Right now their starting outfield looks like, uh, Michael Taylor in LF, Collin Cowgill in CF and Josh Reddick in RF.

Ross reportedly was looking for a good hitter’s park to restore his value, so the A’s don’t offer him that. He also wanted a multi-year deal, and the A’s probably don’t offer that either. However, he may not have a lot of extra choices at this point, so we’ll see.

If the A’s don’t get Ross, I expect them to go after someone else for the outfield. They do have money, and they need a little more than Taylor, Cowgill and Reddick, especially since they’d like Taylor to dominate AAA before he comes up.
I dont really like Ross. But if they can get him cheap, and he does ok they can trade him to a contender looking for OF depth near the deadline, and that will give Taylor more time in AAA.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Crisp is all but gone.
2:29pm: An announcement from Crisp's new team should come today or tomorrow, Comte tells Joe Stiglich of the Bay Area News Group. Comte ruled out the Cubs, while Stiglich gets the impression Crisp could return to the A's.

TUESDAY, 7:33am: Though the Orioles talked to Crisp's agent, Heyman does not believe they are the team he chose. The O's are looking elsewhere for a leadoff hitter.

MONDAY, 8:55pm: The Orioles have been talking to Crisp in recent days and they’re interested in signing him, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. However, it hasn’t been confirmed that the Orioles are the mystery team.

7:19pm: Coco Crisp won’t be on the open market much longer. The free agent outfielder has decided which team he’ll sign with, agent Steve Comte told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.

"Basically, we just have to let that team know," Comte told Slusser.

The Athletics want to re-sign Crisp, according to Slusser. They’ve been in touch with him all offseason, but 12-13 other teams have discussed Crisp with Comte. The A’s have also spoken to free agent Ryan Ludwick, according to Slusser. Oakland selected Ludwick in the second round of the 1999 draft and traded him to the Rangers three years later.

The switch-hitting Crisp led the American League with 49 stolen bases in 2011, hitting .264/.314/.379 with 27 doubles as Oakland's center fielder. The California native seems to prefer West Coast teams, but explained in September that he’s also looking to play on a winner and find a good "financial situation" for himself.
...and Jai Miller sent to the Orioles for cash.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Crisp is all but gone.

...and Jai Miller sent to the Orioles for cash.
I stand corrected...
The A's have agreed to sign Coco Crisp to a two-year, $14MM deal that includes a club option for 2014, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. The news ends 24 hours of rumors and speculation about Crisp's destination. He decided to return to Oakland yesterday, despite interest from the Orioles, Cubs, Cardinals and many other teams.

The deal will pay Crisp $6MM in 2012 and $7MM in 2013. The A's can exercise a $7.5MM option for 2014 or pay the center fielder a $1MM buyout. If the A's trade the Steve Comte client, he gets a one-time bonus of $250K.

MLBTR's Tim Dierkes ranked Crisp 21st among MLB free agents at the beginning of the offseason. The switch-hitter led the American League with 49 stolen bases in 2011, hitting .264/.314/.379 with 27 doubles as Oakland's center fielder. The California native seemed to prefer West Coast teams, but explained in September that he was also looking to play on a winner and find a good "financial situation" for himself.

Crisp joins Michael Taylor and Josh Reddick in the Athletics' new-look outfield. Josh Willingham signed with the Twins and David DeJesus signed with the Cubs, leaving Billy Beane, David Forst & Co. with the unenviable task of filling out an entire outfield. The A's sent Jai Miller to the Orioles today and may still be on the lookout for outfield depth.
Thats cool, i like coco, if he can get his BA up its not a bad move, i still hate his weak ass arm though, lol. He's a good defensive centerfielder, and you gotta love his base running.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Bruce Jenkins of the San Francisco Chronicle finds it "astounding" that Billy Beane is remaining with the Athletics through this latest rebuilding period, but the A's GM isn't just looking ahead to the club's potential move to San Jose. "I'm too competitive to 'punt' anything," Beane said. "It's not part of my DNA. I've got an emotional investment in this team, and if we're playing in Oakland, then let's make the best of the situation. I don't leave for clear skies as soon as I start seeing the clouds. I keep thinking something will get better."

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
A's looking at Ludwick, dont think I like that. I think theyd be paying too much for someone thats a little too old to fit what theyre trying to do, and I dont think he can hit for power any like he did for St Louis...If they can get him real cheap than it might be good to have some verteran experience/depth in the OF that can hit a little.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Selig Prioritizing A's Stadium Resolution
Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News writes that commissioner Bud Selig, who was recently extended through 2014, has placed the A's and their pursuit of a new stadium and a move to San Jose on the front burner.

The special committee Selig put together to examine the dilemma has delivered a "comprehensive" report but has yet to be presented to all 30 owners. Still, Selig says they're "proceeding at a rather quick pace" and seemed to agree to the suggested analogy that if the stadium issue were a baserunner, he'd be on third base.

Standing in the way of the transition is that the Giants claim San Jose -- part of Santa Clara County -- as part of their territory. The Giants have supported an organziation called Stand For San Jose that has protested the building of a stadium in downtown San Jose. The Giants' territorial claim can be overturned by a 75 percent vote from MLB owners.

The Giants could fight back by supporting an anti-ballpark campaign in San Jose, where a special ballot referendum (partially financed by MLB) would need to pass, or perhaps even by persuading one of their sponsors to sue MLB (the Giants cannot sue MLB themselves). There's also nothing preventing the Giants from filing a lawsuit against the city of San Jose itself.

As Purdy points out, if the Giants were to file any lawsuit, we'd see "the awkward situation of one MLB franchise spending money to defeat a project supported by another MLB franchise in an election partially paid for by MLB itself."

A's owner Lew Wolff said he's "delighted" to hear that Selig is prioritizing the situation and that MLB is moving toward a decision.

Athletics Negotiating With Bartolo Colon

The Athletics are in negotiations with Bartolo Colon, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com (via Twitter). Yesterday we learned that the pitcher has also attracted the interest of the Diamondbacks.

The 38-year-old right-hander turned in a 4.00 ERA with 7.4 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9 for the Yankees in 2011. General Manager Brian Cashman expressed interest in bringing the veteran back this offseason, but the club's moves this week might satisfy their need for pitching.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
I think Selig is blowing smoke up everyones ass. He's no closer or further from making a decision as before, its been three years, and it wasnt even a subject on the agenda at the winter meetings. The Giants have said they'll fight tooth and nail to stop the A's from moving to San Jose, and the screwed up part about that is the only reason the Giants have those rights is they were given to them by the A's in 1993. No other shared market in MLB even has territory rights, the only reason they were initiated in the first place was to help the giants, who, lest you forget, were closer to leaving the bay at that time then the A's have ever been.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA

Athletics Agree To Sign Bartolo Colon

2:53pm: MLB.com's Joey Nowak reports that the deal is worth nearly $2MM and could include a signing bonus. Both sides are still working to finalize the agreement.

1:26pm: The Athletics and Bartolo Colon have agreed to a one-year contract, reports ESPN's Jayson Stark. The deal is still pending a physical. The Diamondbacks had shown interest in Colon recently, and the Yankees indicated a willingness to re-sign him earlier this winter.

The Mitch Frankel client resurrected his career with New York in 2011, pitching to a 4.00 ERA with 7.4 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9 in 164 1/3 innings after signing a minor league contract. The 38-year-old Colon did not pitch in MLB in 2010, and has been treated with stem cells from his bone marrow and fat to repair tears in his elbow and rotator cuff. He was regularly hitting 94-96 with his fastball last year before fading down the stretch.

Having traded both Gio Gonzalez and Trevor Cahill this offseason, the Athletics are looking at Colon as a stopgap for a rotation that will also include Brandon McCarthy, Guillermo Moscoso, and possibly a healthy Dallas Braden. Brett Anderson will be out until midseason due to Tommy John surgery, though the recently acquired Jarrod Parker, Tom Milone, and Brad Peacock will all make their case for a starting spot in Spring Training.

USA Today's Bob Nightengale first reported that Colon had agreed to a deal with an unknown team, then later added details along with CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman (all Twitter links).
I like Colon for the A's this season. He can take up the number 2 spot in the rotation behind McCarthy, or maybe the 3 spot ahead of Bradem, and leave some wiggle room for the younger guys to work out in the minors for another season or so...So as it stands now you'd run out McCarthy, Colon, Moscoso, Braden, then maybe Outman, or Godfrey, or Ross, or even Milone/Parker/Peacock...Either way its good for flexibility going forward, and of down the line if he does well he can be dealt to a contender for something we may need.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^^^there goes outman and moscoso. I liked moscoso but he's perfect trade bait. and the a's outfield isnt looking so bad with seth smith now. I think it's a decent pickup. I like the Colon signing too

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
^^^^^there goes outman and moscoso. I liked moscoso but he's perfect trade bait. and the a's outfield isnt looking so bad with seth smith now. I think it's a decent pickup. I like the Colon signing too
I like the trade, Moscoso and Outman had lots of potential upside, but werent proven great starters yet, and that shores up a now pretty decent looking outfield...I really like what Im seeing with the A's moreso than any 'rebuild' recently, you may gripe about all the trades, but I think the finished product could be really impressive.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
So, so far you have team lookin like...

Outfield:
Smith/Crisp/Reddick

Infield:
3b Sizemore, SS Pennington, 2b Weeks, 1b Allen/Barton, C Suzuki, DH Carter...and Rosales filling in spots.

Starting rotation:
McCarthy, Colon, Braden, Godfrey, Parker...?...and Ross? Milone might get ready? Harden?

You figure you have Grant Green getting ready to come up at SS, Michael Choice in a couple seasons, plus all the pitching prospects working it out, Derrick Norris at catcher in a season or 2...That team has awesome potential if you ask me, you pick up a hitter along the line, thats a fast young team that can compete...I dont know about some of you, but Im staying faithful.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^what about brett anderson...i would assume ha has to be coming back...harden is being looked at by other teams and i dont think the a's have re-signed him yet.

and um, why all the "fuck billy beane" talk?