THE LIFE AND DEATH OF SAN DIEGO RAP is........

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2003
www.myspace.com
........ IS SAN DIEGO RAP SHOWS... HEAR ME OUT, AND LET ME KNOW IF U AGREE

IM TRYNA GET SOME OPINIONS ON WHAT PEOPLE (ARTISTS TOO BUT FANS SPECIFICALLY) THINK ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE SHOWS THROWN IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY....

IN THE LAST YEAR HOW MANY SHOWS HAVE YOU BEEN TOO?

OF THOSE, HOW MANY OF THEM WERE QUALITY SHOWS, THAT WERE WORTH YOUR MONEY/DRIVE?

SORRY FOR CAPS, see heres my thing... i've been to and performed at literally hundreds of shows out here, some were good, most were not!
and im not just talking about the acts. The organization and the venues have been bad looks for this cities growth.
Some niggaz relate the gangbangin as the reason Daygo aint on yet, and while that may be true in some instances because of fights that break out at a few shows, FOR THE MOST PART SET-TRIPPIN AINT THE PROBLEM OUT HERE. Niggaz aint bringin big money out here or givin niggaz from here big oppurtunities because daygo hasnt established itself as a place that gives a fucc about hearin some hiphop.

I fucc with all types of music, so i've seen artists that i write, or wrote for in different genres have craccin ass shows, and tours, in or stemming from Daygo. HIP HOP though..... NOT HAPPENIN!
AND ITS NOT THAT PEOPLE WONT SUPPORT, ITS THAT THEYRE NOT GIVIN ENOUGH REASON TO SUPPORT CUZ THE SHOWS ARE JANKY.

me typin this is really me thinkin out loud, so bare with my venting, but if u feel similar or adverse, please chime in, yafeelme?
WHERE ARE THE REAL PROMOTERS? NOT JUST NIGGAZ WITH MONEY, PAYIN SEMI-BIG ARTISTS TO COME PERFORM at busted venues with unbalanced opening talent.

I WANNA HEAR FROM THE FANS/SHOW-GOERS

Apr 5, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
thats true..i perform at least 3 or 4 times a month..some need a better soundcheck bcuz i get SUPER loud..plus the speakers be needin some technician assistance..also im not with the pay for play..i did it like twice..the homies be makin money off that so i aint knockin em..but i'm not payin..all my shows now i get either lil doe or i jus do em for free..

Dec 9, 2008
My Humble Opinion: Shows used to be a place to go for people to be entertained.

Now gangsta and backpack shit is only followed by a select few in a niched counter culture of our society, who are hostile towards outsiders or people they "percieve" as not understanding them so....now our music has become over competitive.

if you think about it...people who are "conservative" to what music they listen to act like republicans do with there values.....Liberal people with music, just like anytype of music and don't care about all the extra.

May 2, 2003
www.myspace.com
i feel all yall, the artists have a responsibilty to give more diverse and appealing performances
but also

these so called promoters need to come with the professionalism
to make the best out of these venues

Dec 9, 2008
i feel all yall, the artists have a responsibilty to give more diverse and appealing performances
but also

these so called promoters need to come with the professionalism
to make the best out of these venues
Rapping has become to personal....it's used to be about giving the crowd something to vibe too...now it seems as if if most MC's just want to showcase there own personal talent.

and Promotors can only promote the show, the acts are the ones with the responsisbility to draw.

I was professional as fuck when I threw shows, I still have folders with door numbers and bar sales to show other talent buyers whats up when I needed to throw and event.

but bottom line the professionalism steps up, with the size of the engagment, and if you aren't performing in a venue with a capacity over 300, can't expect the promoter to be worried about nothing getting his investment back.

Apr 21, 2006
1. Sound check: I've performed at 4th and b, belly up, sports arena, etc etc etc. Sound check should be done way before the show. The engineer should know YOUR levels. Practice on how to spit in a mic. Understand highs and lows.
2. Demographics: understand your audience and the "purpose" of what you're doing. Market to your audience. Build a community. A solid following. Change things up to meet the peoples needs.
3. Dago has enough artist to have people who only mess with Dago music. Or buy Dago first. The youth are being ignored.
4. Professionalism: this is a business first not a hobby. Artist always try to bring 100 of their homies in for free. That breaks the system.
5. Integrity: be upfront to all involved of the big picture.
6. Talent grooming: most artist are not ready to get on a big stage. They need practice. Breath control, mic control, stage presence, show choreography, timing, how to create songs that jingle, how to mix shit before you release it, etc. We need opportunities that get our artist ready to compete. I've seen Dago artist open for out of towners and make us look stupid many times.

Jun 8, 2006
www.myspace.com
CHUUUUCH!!!!!! COME TO ONE OF MY SHOWS SO I CAN SHOW EM HOW ITS DONE. WE GOT ANOTHER ONE COMING AT THE END OF THE MONTH BE ON THE LOOKOUT...
1. Sound check: I've performed at 4th and b, belly up, sports arena, etc etc etc. Sound check should be done way before the show. The engineer should know YOUR levels. Practice on how to spit in a mic. Understand highs and lows.
2. Demographics: understand your audience and the "purpose" of what you're doing. Market to your audience. Build a community. A solid following. Change things up to meet the peoples needs.
3. Dago has enough artist to have people who only mess with Dago music. Or buy Dago first. The youth are being ignored.
4. Professionalism: this is a business first not a hobby. Artist always try to bring 100 of their homies in for free. That breaks the system.
5. Integrity: be upfront to all involved of the big picture.
6. Talent grooming: most artist are not ready to get on a big stage. They need practice. Breath control, mic control, stage presence, show choreography, timing, how to create songs that jingle, how to mix shit before you release it, etc. We need opportunities that get our artist ready to compete. I've seen Dago artist open for out of towners and make us look stupid many times.