The last man standing: an interview with Keak Da Sneak

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 13, 2005
dope props

JR: In the 14 years that you’ve been in the game, what is the most important lesson that you have learned?

Keak: That you don’t get paid from selling records unless you’re the record company. Artists get paid from publishing, performing it and their writings, so just know that. Most muthaphuckaz be out here like “the record company is getting me.” No. Unless you’re actually physically the label, you don’t get paid from selling records. You need to know that as an artist. That’s the game that I want to give everybody, you know what I mean?

Feb 19, 2003
stingy said:
dope props

JR: In the 14 years that you’ve been in the game, what is the most important lesson that you have learned?

Keak: That you don’t get paid from selling records unless you’re the record company. Artists get paid from publishing, performing it and their writings, so just know that. Most muthaphuckaz be out here like “the record company is getting me.” No. Unless you’re actually physically the label, you don’t get paid from selling records. You need to know that as an artist. That’s the game that I want to give everybody, you know what I mean?
Yup, real talk right there. Artists need to consider that fact before they start getting all antsy, thinking that they "have to" sign w/ major labels (not to mention that, you really can't record and release the kinds of songs that YOU might want to do unless "you're the record company" as well). Hope Keak can eventually put out a solo CD of some sort soon...

PEACE!

Apr 25, 2002
props on that interview, keak is mos def the boss of the bay right now. he had the album of the year last and will mos def have album of the year this year when his shit drops.