The greatest player in the history of basketball...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 5, 2004
... has retired today.

Adonal Foyle is just getting started
August, 17, 2010
AUG 17
10:40
AM ET

13 years ago, when Adonal Foyle entered the NBA out of Colgate University, those closest to him suggested he start thinking immediately about what he wanted to do after his basketball career was over. It was good advice, so while he racked up enough blocks to become the Golden State Warriors' all-time leader, Foyle also built a full life for himself off the court. Nine years ago, he founded Democracy Matters to motivate college kids to engage in the political process. Five years ago, he established a nonprofit, the Kerosene Lamp Foundation, that's refurbished basketball courts and mentored thousands of kids. He's currently finishing up a master's degree in sports psychology.

Foyle found life lessons everywhere in the game, and he always imparted them through his work. On Tuesday, Foyle announced his retirement from basketball, and did so in the same thoughtful spirit he's embodied throughout his career. Foyle loved playing basketball and loved what the game afforded him as a human being. In turn, Foyle has decided to convey that love in a retirement poem:

Photo courtesy of Adonal Foyle
Adonal Foyle says goodbye to his immortal love.

LOVE SONG TO A GAME

By Adonal Foyle

How should I tell thee goodbye?

What can you say about a love affair to rival that of Romeo & Juliet? This is not just some melancholy ode to a hackneyed love of mortals.

I found our love deep in the entrails of the Caribbean Sea. Love that swept me to a land where our embrace became mythical.

You showed me a world that few have dreamt of.

Colgate’s golden steeple, a sojurn where ancient teachings flooded my mind.
There in the Chenango Valley where 13 sang my soul to flight, basketball laid siege to my soul.

I do not cry for the passing of our love for it stands radiant while my brittle bones crumble through swift time.

I have known you by so many faces; I will spend my end of days recalling.

You have infected so many with the allure of riches and black gold. But I am not angry with you my love. For to a boy who was lost in the bosom of nothing you gave hope and home.

Like the flickering of a light we come and go without much fuss. So I leave you to fend off seekers, hoping they too will cherish your unyielding countenance.

As for me, I will forever live in the glare of your loving embrace. From time to time I hope you will look in on this pitiful fool.

I will miss brothers of a quilt struggling with burning lights. If I offer advice, pierce beyond the glaring lights and see the faces behind the wall. Don't be fooled by the magicians’ nibble fingers. For this is a life with mirrors and screens. Its only truth lies in the understanding it will all end.

The sound I will take home is the symphony of thousands of screaming friends.

Warriors, Magic and yes, Memphis too, I sing you praise, hope, blessings,
Flowing from a boy’s songs of thanks to you and you and you,to all I knew.

Please stay my “immortal love.”

Jul 25, 2007
They need to sign Foyle to a 1 day contract and have a celebration on the first home game of the warriors to hang his jersey. I will attend!

Feb 10, 2006
Challenged? Lol, cut it out,,lmao! How many do the warriors have?lol...wtf does that matter anyways?!
Not jus stat but everybody owned that dude, don't get mad its the truth, get off foyles dicc u fag, dude was trash on the court anyways, I kno he was a warrior but dam!

Feb 10, 2006
Challenged? Lol, cut it out,,lmao! How many do the warriors have?lol...wtf does that matter anyways?!
Not jus stat but everybody owned that dude, don't get mad its the truth, get off foyles dicc u fag, dude was trash on the court anyways, I kno he was a warrior but dam!

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
It was becoming too much of a burden to hold back from completely dominating every second of every game. He retired so that others could have a chance to shine, though he could probably continue playing until the age 86

Jun 9, 2007
This muthafucka was supposed to come up to Minny to lead the rebuilding effort with his veteran dominance, just like other veteran superstars have in the past (Theo Ratliff, anyone?). Now he's supposedly retiring instead? FUCK HIM!

Aug 18, 2002
www.chalkbodyoutline.com
Adonal Foyle retires from NBA after 13 years

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aj5C2OmewIoEvoNx74cYGGO8vLYF?slug=ap-magic-foyleretires

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—Adonal Foyle(notes) is ending his NBA playing career after 13 seasons.

The 35-year-old center announced his retirement Monday after playing for the Orlando Magic the last three seasons. Foyle spent his first 10 years with the Golden State Warriors, and had a brief midseason stint with Memphis in 2009.

Foyle is expected to resign from his position as first vice president of the National Basketball Players Association this week. He averaged 4.1 points and 4.7 rebounds for his career.

The Magic touted Foyle as a great mentor for center Dwight Howard(notes). But a right-knee injury often kept the former Colgate star from practicing last season.

Foyle also was inducted into the Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame for charitable work with his Kerosene Lamp Foundation.