The End for Favre

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
Didn't think it would happen.

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre won't start Monday night's game against the New York Giants, ending a streak of 297 consecutive starts -- the longest streak of any position player in NFL history.

NFC North blog

Seifert ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Favre sprained the SC joint near his right shoulder when he was tackled by Arthur Moats on his first pass of last Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills. He practiced sparingly on Friday, making only a few soft tosses to teammates, but Favre was listed among the Vikings' inactives Monday night. He was not listed as the No. 3 quarterback either.

Vikings spokesman Jeff Anderson said Favre is not suited up for the game.

Tarvaris Jackson will start for Minnesota.

Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder that if Monday night's game had been played as it was originally scheduled, on Sunday in Minneapolis, he wouldn't have been able to play. Monday morning, Vikings coach Leslie Frazier told ESPN in a text message that it was "doubtful" Favre would play.

Favre's streak started on Sept. 27, 1992 when he started against the Pittsburgh Steelers, replacing an injured Don Majkowski. He won that day, and has won 186 games during the streak. He's also been named to 11 Pro Bowls and is a three-time league most valuable player.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, 237 other quarterbacks have started an NFL game since, and 117 head coaches have led their teams onto the field. Punter Jeff Feagles is the only player to appear in more than 300 consecutive NFL games; he played in 352 from 1988-2009.

Earlier this season, Favre fractured his ankle, but still started six more games.

Sunday, Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder that the sprained SC joint in his right shoulder has produced a knot the size of a golf ball located between his neck and collarbone and that he's experienced numbness in his right hand all week. Favre said he believes it's the result of both the sprained shoulder itself and the fact it aggravated a pinched nerve in his neck that he's had since the Washington game two weeks ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5916329

Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
Me being a die hard bears fan, you would think it would be natural for me to hate Favre. But aside from all his bitch shit off the field, I have tons of respect for him and enjoyed watching him play. You cant knock his toughness and his passion for the game.

Feb 14, 2004
Favre has an amazing NFL career. I just hated how the whole, "Favre Watch", took over the NFL Total Access show.

Jun 9, 2007
He will play one down just so it counts as a start then be on the bench all night
naw, I gotta respect him for saying he absolutely would not do that.

He's done. Great career, terrible choice to come back for one more year but it can't take away from what he's accomplished.

But yea, he's definitely done... will not play another down in the NFL.

Jan 18, 2006
@ Miller, Cuz qbs take so much punishment maybe the most at any position and punters take the least amount of punishment.