the bay rap game is fu**ing up

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 5, 2008
so are bay rappers just gonna keep trying to copy the souths formula... 5 years after they do it?

first it was crunk... err sorry, hyphy... now everyone wants to use autotune and rap about lean? (10+ years after) lol

I mean, I hope that works out... in the mean time I guess that just means alot more money in the pockets of consumers in this dwindling market.

:mad:

Nov 2, 2002
thats what myspacetwitter did to music. Theres no difference between the regions anymore.
Before this interet shit came around, bay music, down south music, east coast music, LA music etc all sounded completely different. That goes for all kinds of music to, not just rap.
Now everyone hears what everyone else is doing, and it influences them. In the good ol days, the only other rap you heard was what was on mtv, and the local shit at your local mom n pops

May 8, 2008
i highly doubt Mac Dre and Keak da Sneak got hyphy from Crunk. The Hyphy culture is completely different from Crunk. The music don't even sound the same to me. As far as rapping about lean, that is not Bay Area rappers tryna be on some copy cat shit, they just rapping about what's goin on in the streets. Sippin BO is what everybody doin so that's what rappers is rapping about.

Sep 5, 2008
i highly doubt Mac Dre and Keak da Sneak got hyphy from Crunk. The Hyphy culture is completely different from Crunk. The music don't even sound the same to me. As far as rapping about lean, that is not Bay Area rappers tryna be on some copy cat shit, they just rapping about what's goin on in the streets. Sippin BO is what everybody doin so that's what rappers is rapping about.

I dont believe hyphy derived from crunk either, but the similiarities and comparisons "the bay areas crunk" by even those who were running hyphy remain. IMO, That is bay area rappers being on some copy cat shit, people been on that purple syrup, they're jumping on something thats already been covered. The south mastered that shit over the past 15 years, now you got people like clyde carson releasing singles called bo?? that is straight clownish in my eyes. When the ying yang twins side group made that song "go dumb" people went nuts... over saying go dumb... but people here are trying to rap about, whats considered to some, a "lifestyle" in the south.

I use to fuck with 80% bay music, because theres always been enough quality music in the bay where I didnt have time/need to get into other music. We went from the new bay, to rapping about lean.

I can't support that.

Apr 7, 2004
It might be surprising but kids across the country is dame near on the same shit. There's really nothing different anymore except the slang and the way people talk so why would anybody music sound different

May 30, 2006
so are bay rappers just gonna keep trying to copy the souths formula... 5 years after they do it?

first it was crunk... err sorry, hyphy... now everyone wants to use autotune and rap about lean? (10+ years after) lol

I mean, I hope that works out... in the mean time I guess that just means alot more money in the pockets of consumers in this dwindling market.

:mad:
Shocking news...According to the Bay they are the ultimate trend setters.

Oct 29, 2008
Thank god for my ipod.I just listen 2 old school shit now with the exception 2 cats like Quinn and A-Wax all of this new shit is trash.And thats why its floppin.Shouts out 2 Quinn and Wax for making good music.The bay has no leadership.The King is gone so niggas gotta follow other regions.I wish NYC was on top cuz when they was at least niggas was tryna be lyricists.

Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
all that new dirty south shit getz no play in my car,,,, and i dont know why people on the west coast be drivin around bumpin gucci mane and singin along 2 dirty south shit in thier car,that shit is gay, it seems like most people on the west dont be knoccin any west coast shit that much

May 8, 2008
but people here are trying to rap about, whats considered to some, a "lifestyle" in the south.
The thing is dawg it's lifestyle out here to. And let's not act like Southern acts aren't emulating the Bay also. Gucci Mane, Oj the Juiceman, Yo Gotti, making songs called "stupid." I heard that shit the other day and I was dying laughing. It was corny when the Bay did it, but now when some Southern niggas get on it it's the shit lol. Foreel tho rap has become a lot like the car industry, a copy cat game. Original principles don't apply as much as they used to. Still, I think most Bay Area rappers aren't trying to copy the South, they're just rapping about what's going on in they're hood. Everybody in Livewire rap about sipping BO, because BO has taken Oakland by storm. That's what's going on in the streets.

Jan 18, 2006
Actually this year has showed me bay rappers have better a formula then they did in 2006. Im glad all the rappers i like arent making hyphy tracks anymore. Quinn put out the best album but all the other rappers like Yuk, Ya Boy, Big Rich, J-Stalin, and Clyde Carson have been putting out good music so i dont see much of a problem. And of course Mob Figaz got the strongest movement going, some of there releases have been disappointing but 4 outta 5 of them always come tight on the mic

Apr 25, 2002
R YALL CRAZY!!!

I'm from DETROIT and over the years I've learned that the industry jumps on whatever is "hot" at the time. The BAY AREA got the same treatment L.A. did and HOUSTON did. Once you introduce your region to the masses, the industry execs jump all over it and program their particular artists to attempt to mimic that sound.

For example L.A. had the gang bang, low rider, g funk, smooth summer sound and it got jacked to the fullest by artists from all over the country!!!

Bay area had that fast rapping over classic samples and new slang that nobody understood but it sounded so energetic and different. The bay brought that arrogance and confidence to the game.

NY got jacked with they whole style.

The midwest got jacked with that tongue twisting rap

HOUSTON got jacked with they sippin on lean and slowed down approach to everything. Nobody copied HOUSTON style when the GETO BOYS & UGK were out because they were living legends. But when LIL FLIP & SLIM THUG came out all rappers start rapping slow as fuck!!! Check out yo cd collection and tell me it's not true.

ATL & FLORIDA are able to incorporate all type of rap styles and let their artists find their own lane. They are still successful because TI is excepted just as much as YING YANG or OUTKAST or LUDACRIS or LIL JON or SOLDIER BOY. LUKE & 2 LIVE CREW still get as much love as RICK ROSS or TRICK DADDY or The diversity is what keeps the ATL & MIA going. All the other regions dropped the ball and are failing to find their nitch.