The Bay Is Back

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2006
I've been livin down here in Arizona for the last year and I've paid attention to this whole movement. The bay is back but we are bein misrepresented. The ohter states and areas view the hyphy movement differently than we do in the bay. We understand the culture because we saw it emerge wit "t-shirt blue jeans and nikes" "Get Stupid" "Hyphy remix" and so on. All they see is tell me when to go which is a great song but at the same time it's corny. People are laughin at the bay because they hear the songs and see little white kids tryin to go dumb lookin like squares and they think thats the type of shit we on. They see F.A.B on mtv sayin shit like shababalaboopy and they think we some goofy ass muthafuckas who can't rap and are tryin to be the new fad. In reality we should be on top of the game cuz we got the best music. The shit on MTV is not as tight as our underground hits that never made MTV because no one was lookin. All I'm sayin is I'm embarrassed. Keak is one of my all time favorite rappers but the shit he's been on lately is not raw. We need the keak that was multidemintional back. I love the hyphy movement but we need to step our game up if we gon stay on. We need to show the world that we got everything that rap needs. Yuk on that lyrical shit, mess on that real street shit, Keak showin his style and everybody doin different shit. Wut do yall think

Aug 8, 2003
i think the hyphy movement was supposed to be the spark that lit the powder keg for the bay.. but now the dust is beginning to settle after the inital boom and ain a god damn thang bein done cept the same ol routine....now that our foot is in the proverbial door its time to flood that bitch with bayshit..

May 15, 2002
I think their perception of the so-called "hyphy movement" is correct. The music is corny, it's children's music. The language is becoming more and more retarded..seriously, what the fuck is "shababalaboopy" supposed to mean? And does anyone in their right mind even speak like that? Hyphy music is just another type of party music. Unique slang, clothes, and dance don't change the music.

The Bay used to have the best music. Early to mid-nineties was the peak, and it has slowly been going downhill since then. The 21st century has been the demise of rap in the Bay Area.

And I agree, even though I don't like Yukmouth himself, we do need more rappers like him who focus on the lyrical aspect of their music; the bay is lacking intelligence in its music. How many times in a song have you head "go dumb", or some sort of variation on it in a song? Way too many times for it to have any real meaning.

But still, people should be making music for the love of it, not to "blow up", so I'm sure most serious and real artists don't give a fuck what else outside their demographic thinks.

Jun 16, 2005
Neemyung said:
Keak is one of my all time favorite rappers but the shit he's been on lately is not raw. We need the keak that was multidemintional back. I love the hyphy movement but we need to step our game up if we gon stay on.
I agree. it was weird to feel like keak dumbed his shit down. i felt like hed be the last one to do that.

and alot of shit is hyphy just for the sake of bieng hyphy. like they know it aint even a good beat choice, that they aint even comin hard on the song, its almost like shit is bieng wasted on raw emotion and not style and quality..

if laffy taffy was sped up that coulda been a hyphy song. seriously.

its like "dont even think just flail your arms around and make retarded noises" instead of "listen to this shit, the beats quality and the rappers is spittin they ass off"

even e40s new shit seems dumbed down to me. niggas dont wanna admit that..but listen to 40s other shit.

Mar 7, 2006
this is just the beginning....if every bay artist does they own shit and not copy the next but keep it professional, new & raw and the labels understand that there is diversity out here and still sign and promote with that in mind...then the bay will take over the world. If it's just the hyphy and thats all they gunna give us as an opportunity or outlet...this will go fast with only e40 and those who suround him.

Dec 9, 2005
RedStorm said:
I think their perception of the so-called "hyphy movement" is correct. The music is corny, it's children's music. The language is becoming more and more retarded..seriously, what the fuck is "shababalaboopy" supposed to mean? And does anyone in their right mind even speak like that? Hyphy music is just another type of party music. Unique slang, clothes, and dance don't change the music.

The Bay used to have the best music. Early to mid-nineties was the peak, and it has slowly been going downhill since then. The 21st century has been the demise of rap in the Bay Area.

And I agree, even though I don't like Yukmouth himself, we do need more rappers like him who focus on the lyrical aspect of their music; the bay is lacking intelligence in its music. How many times in a song have you head "go dumb", or some sort of variation on it in a song? Way too many times for it to have any real meaning.

But still, people should be making music for the love of it, not to "blow up", so I'm sure most serious and real artists don't give a fuck what else outside their demographic thinks.

I think you're forgetting about a lot of Bay artists that ARE about making good music like your Zion-I, Goapele, Jacka, Quinn etc...

The whole hyphy thing IMO was a great way to get people's attention, so that other Bay artists could also get some light shed on them in the process...

The South has Crunk , and from most peoples perspective OUTSIDE of The South...thats what The South is all about, but the South also has artists like Outkast, TI, and Little Brother.

Hyphy is just The Bay's mainstream offering...and it wasn't until very recently that we got any attention in that area...

But realize that its Hyphy thats going to get people's eyes in this direction, so that maybe in turn, other non-hyphy Bay artists get some exposure.

May 15, 2002
I'm not forgetting about them. I'm talking about artists who make music that is considered "hyphy". I said we need more artists like those you mentioned because they actually display skill and talent on the mic.

And so far, hyphy music hasn't got any of these guys (the Zion-I's, Quinn's, etc.) any attention.

Feb 8, 2006
Mr. ViNN707 said:
Arizona is full of haters they have no rap scene out there and never had any shine of there own so obcourse they're going to hate.

^
Yuk did a show out here in AZ last night ...... it was a AZ underground show before yuk came out...... The Az rappers were sooooooo terrible all they did was bite bays slang in all there songs..... all there songs were about goin dumb in the 602(Phoenix) it was pretty bad. Yuk ripped it hard though.

Dec 9, 2005
RedStorm said:
I'm not forgetting about them. I'm talking about artists who make music that is considered "hyphy". I said we need more artists like those you mentioned because they actually display skill and talent on the mic.

And so far, hyphy music hasn't got any of these guys (the Zion-I's, Quinn's, etc.) any attention.

True that.

But you know both sides are starting to collaborate a little more now. ie DJ Shadow/Turf Talk, Keak...The Bay Remix - Zion-I, The Team, Casual, Turf Talk...The Team/Goapele

I think more of this needs to be done.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Bay2Phoenix said:
Mr. ViNN707 said:
Arizona is full of haters they have no rap scene out there and never had any shine of there own so obcourse they're going to hate.

^
Yuk did a show out here in AZ last night ...... it was a AZ underground show before yuk came out...... The Az rappers were sooooooo terrible all they did was bite bays slang in all there songs..... all there songs were about goin dumb in the 602(Phoenix) it was pretty bad. Yuk ripped it hard though.
ha ha... Arizona rappers actin like they're from the Bay... that shit is funny... but I guess its a good sign if rappers from other regions wanna be like us

Jun 23, 2002
People are laughin at the bay because they hear the songs and see little white kids tryin to go dumb lookin like squares and they think thats the type of shit we on.
Unfortunately, that's true tho. I can't tell you how many squares I've seen doin this that piss me off. I'm from the Bay too and the shine we're getting is kinda like a double-edged sword.

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
I think shaboobablaboopy is stupid, FAB just made it up offa thizz or some shit. But the real bay slanguage that keak and e-40 has a lil more thought put into it, thats why its so catchy. Plus it takes time for slang to catch on. Yadadamean is just now gettin noticed by the squares, i remember when i first heard it on treal TV 1, it was tite to me then and i still like it. I dunno i guess i prefer keak back when he was on "the dome cracka, the wig splitta. all about my chedda, square ass nigga!!!"

Dec 11, 2005
^^that shits somethin that cant be changed, its always gonna be like that. I mean when Tupac died, how many kids did you see throw up the Westside and scream that shit?
If you want the attention to be there, kids are gonna imitate it

Mar 7, 2006
I guess it is a double edged sword, but I for one am glad to see what is going on. The bay has always had variety Keak does his thing as Frontline does theirs. The south doesnt all do "crunk" either, it was a vehicle so that the Young Jeezys and TI's had the ability to blow up. Everybody not going to get our hyphy, our music is aggressive to a degree and flamboyant but that is the culture and politics that is was born of. If you about handling your business then when the light from the door swings on you be ready. oh yeah and too me the bay has neva been gone. just hated on.

Dec 11, 2005
true but as far as the hyphy movement goes the bay wouldnt even be heard of if it wasnt for that..once the hyphy movement falls off you wont see any other rapper from the bay on tv..so enjoy the fame while you can...

Aug 28, 2003
keak dumbin' down ? no disrespect but I have to say that every cd keaks name has been on in the last year has been put out (bootleged) by another weird unheard of fucked up source. but when you hear the way he comes of on muscle cars and fuck it even the rougish ass bootlegs its still same ol' same keak. he and mac dre started the hyphy movement period. I love 40 but that aint even the right man to get that credit he hopped on the hyphy train he did not build it.

Feb 8, 2006
To me the hyphy movement is the best thing that has happened to the bay. That shit brought me and everybody back to bay music and the shit is raw. My only problem is the hyphy of 2004-2005 was better quality than now. It was more creative and sounded better. The shit now is all the same and rappers like keak and F.A.B are tryin to appeal to white america to much. Everyone n there mom is tryin to come out wit a song talkin bout go dumb. I'm feelin mess's shit. He has stepped his game up and on the new bullys wit fullys single he showed he can be hyphy but stay creative and street.